Making your own GC session

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Corax

Making your own GC session

Post by Corax »

Hi everyone,

Question: if you want to make your own GC session, what are the general rules you must adhere to? I would like to swap back extensions for overhead press in GC 3 (Brig Rat):

burpees
dips
burpees
squats
burpees
Overhead press (normally back extensions)
rest

Is that OK? I really (REALLY) miss dips and OHP in my Operator routine and since I'm switching from Black Pro to Black, I thought I'd maybe add in a GC session in lieu of my usual E and fit them in there.

Thanks.

J-Madd

Re: Making your own GC session

Post by J-Madd »

If you are getting a lot posterior and core work in your overall program (deadlift in your cluster, Plank & Shank or KB swing finishers, etc), switching back extensions for OHP would be fine as far as it goes.

My preference for Brig Rat would to be to keep the back extensions in order to maintain a little more upper/lower balance in the drill (I find burpees much more challenging for my upper body). If you share that preference, you could just add the OHP as a seventh exercise in the circuit. Another option would be to do the squats as thrusters -- front squat/OHP combos. That would be NASTY! I dare you! ;)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:Another option would be to do the squats as thrusters -- front squat/OHP combos. That would be NASTY! I dare you! ;)
Using landmine would be perfect for such a torture. Super effective!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

And id you want to get really bloody on the GC try WC101!

http://rosstraining.com/blog/work-capacity-101/

Corax

Post by Corax »

J-Madd wrote:If you are getting a lot posterior and core work in your overall program (deadlift in your cluster, Plank & Shank or KB swing finishers, etc), switching back extensions for OHP would be fine as far as it goes.

My preference for Brig Rat would to be to keep the back extensions in order to maintain a little more upper/lower balance in the drill (I find burpees much more challenging for my upper body). If you share that preference, you could just add the OHP as a seventh exercise in the circuit. Another option would be to do the squats as thrusters -- front squat/OHP combos. That would be NASTY! I dare you! ;)
I have both deads and heavy swings in my cluster, so I'm not worried about my posterior chain being worked. I hadn't thought about adding it as a seventh exercise, good idea! I really like the thruster option, too. Thanks!

Corax

Post by Corax »

Barkadion wrote:And id you want to get really bloody on the GC try WC101!

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks really cool too. I'll have to get me a medicine ball though;)

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Rosses books are a goldmine for GC. He has a truly sick mind.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Corax wrote:
Barkadion wrote:And id you want to get really bloody on the GC try WC101!

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks really cool too. I'll have to get me a medicine ball though;)
Haha, you can use resistance band instead. Just attach it to pull-up bar or something like that. Push it down with hip hinge..

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Corax wrote:Hi everyone,

Question: if you want to make your own GC session, what are the general rules you must adhere to? I would like to swap back extensions for overhead press in GC 3 (Brig Rat):

burpees
dips
burpees
squats
burpees
Overhead press (normally back extensions)
rest

Is that OK? I really (REALLY) miss dips and OHP in my Operator routine and since I'm switching from Black Pro to Black, I thought I'd maybe add in a GC session in lieu of my usual E and fit them in there.

Thanks.
I would leave the back extensions in and take the squats out instead for your particular example.

Include any exercise you want, and use as many different fitness domains/modalities as you can in the same session. Look to Crossfit and Ross Enamait's GPP workouts for examples. The only rule I'd follow is not to lift max-strength style (heavy-low rep-long RI). Keep 'em light and higher rep.

Corax

Post by Corax »

Great, thanks!