Unilateral OP cluster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Unilateral OP cluster

Post by Barkadion »

Hi TB-ers,

I just want to share here my experience in case anyone finds it useful. I've switched to unilateral exercises few month ago and I really like it. Basically, it can be run with set or pair of adjustable DBs and/or KBs. I find it very useful in case that you have limited gear, physical imbalances, and/or issues with the recovery due to personal life situation. I have done 2 clusters so far.

1st - OA OHP/Bulgarian SS/WPU/OL DL

2nd - OA Floor press/Bulgarian SS/OA Row/OL RDL

You can change it and/or mix things up. Unilateral DL is my favorite since it hits your core and ability to balance your body. Another benefits are you don't really need any core finishers with unilateral exercises and recovery is short and sweet, so you can push your conditioning sessions all the way you want.

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Re: Unilateral OP cluster

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey Bark, have you been able to see what it is like returning to the barbell stuff after one of these? Also what has been your experience on the timeline with the unilateral leg stuff - how long does it take to go from the balance being the main challenge to the balance being a secondary challenge?

Thanks. This is probably a good thing to discuss with the on and off gym availability now.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Hey Bark, have you been able to see what it is like returning to the barbell stuff after one of these? Also what has been your experience on the timeline with the unilateral leg stuff - how long does it take to go from the balance being the main challenge to the balance being a secondary challenge?

Thanks. This is probably a good thing to discuss with the on and off gym availability now.
Hey TBP, I haven't got back to barbells yet.. I am planning to do it next fall after summer BB.. I usually set my balance to what I need during warm up sets and it does work. Also, I do my Bulgarians ss next to the squat stand and I don't see any problems holding to the upright if I get shaky and loose my balance during the exercise. No difference timewise for me. Your body gets adjusted to it and it is another skill after all.. Balance can be limiting factor with heavy load.. But I don't care much about hitting particular numbers.. Not anymore.

Hope that helps.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:Hi TB-ers,

I just want to share here my experience in case anyone finds it useful. I've switched to unilateral exercises few month ago and I really like it. Basically, it can be run with set or pair of adjustable DBs and/or KBs. I find it very useful in case that you have limited gear, physical imbalances, and/or issues with the recovery due to personal life situation. I have done 2 clusters so far.

1st - OA OHP/Bulgarian SS/WPU/OL DL

2nd - OA Floor press/Bulgarian SS/OA Row/OL RDL

You can change it and/or mix things up. Unilateral DL is my favorite since it hits your core and ability to balance your body. Another benefits are you don't really need any core finishers with unilateral exercises and recovery is short and sweet, so you can push your conditioning sessions all the way you want.

Thanks!

I really like the idea of rotating one unilateral exercise into each cluster, especially with lower body exercises. I have been using these exercises as my warm up just to get in some variety. I definitely agree on the Unilateral deadlift as a stand out. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get some more dumbbell weights to include this more often. My adjustable kettlebells take to long to change to be a regular option. Thanks for the post mate.