Critique - Operator Template for FF on Kelly Schedule

MxS/SE/HIC/E
tatumdog

Critique - Operator Template for FF on Kelly Schedule

Post by tatumdog »

44yo FF working on a Kelly Schedule. I'm at a fairly busy station, so we run most nights. Early in the day we do a light crossfit style workout while on duty.

Because of work schedule the typical 7 day weeks are morphed into my 9 day work week. Progress will be slower, I'm fine with that. Just want to progress and be able to spend time with my family on my 4 day.

This is what I have come up with.

I've included an outline of 2 weeks worth of work.

Week 1
Day 1 24hr. Shift
Day 2 Day off. Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Light 1 Arm KB Swings 5 x 10
Day 3 24hr. Shift
Day 4 Day off. Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Light 1 Arm KB Swings 5 x 10
Day 5 24hr. Shift
Day 6 4 Day 1 Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Deadlift
Day 7 4 Day 2 Rest
Day 8 4 Day 3 Rest or Active Recovery
Day 9 4 Day 4 Rest

Week 2
Day 10 24hr. Shift
Day 11 Day off. Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Light 1 Arm KB Swings 5 x 10
Day 12 24hr. Shift
Day 13 Day off. Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Light 1 Arm KB Swings 5 x 10
Day 14 24hr. Shift
Day 15 4 Day 1 Squat/Bench/Pull Up/Deadlift
Day 16 4 Day 2 Rest
Day 17 4 Day 3 Rest or Active Recovery
Day 18 4 Day 4 Rest

Good, Bad, Ugly?

Thoughts please, and thank you ahead of time.
Last edited by tatumdog on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WallBilly

Re: Critique - Operator Template for FF on Kelly Schedule

Post by WallBilly »

I don't know, man. You're pounding all your strength work into 5 days and then taking 5 days off.

You could give it a try.

If I was going to lift 3 times in 10 days, I'd probably try to move the second workout to somewhere around Day 8. That would be fairly close to a fighter template in terms of volume/week and workout spacing.

tatumdog

Post by tatumdog »

Thanks WallBilly.

I was off on the proposed schedule by a day, I just edited it. I hear what you're saying though. I was back and forth between operator and fighter. Just trying to find a way so I can do work during the week, and on my 4 day have no strings allowing for as many excursions as possible with the family. We love to get out of the city.

Thanks for the input. I'll look take a closer look at fighter and my schedule again.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

tatumdog wrote:Thanks WallBilly.

I was off on the proposed schedule by a day, I just edited it. I hear what you're saying though. I was back and forth between operator and fighter. Just trying to find a way so I can do work during the week, and on my 4 day have no strings allowing for as many excursions as possible with the family. We love to get out of the city.

Thanks for the input. I'll look take a closer look at fighter and my schedule again.
Well, your edited schedule goes to 9 days from 10 and you aren't taking 5 days off, only 4, so that's a bit different. You could certainly give it a shot and see if it works for you. I completely understand that life can get in the way of an ideal training schedule.

I was not suggesting that you should go to fighter. If you have a 9 day cycle, that's what you have to work with. The way I was looking at your original schedule, you were lifting 3 times in 10 days, which is almost exactly the same ratio of workouts/day on average as fighter (2 times in 7 days, so 0.3/day on your plan vs 0.29/day for fighter. ) So, my point was, you were proposing fighter on average, but not ideally spaced out.

If you could figure out a way to spread the lifting out a little, it might not end up that far off of operator I/A, which is an 8-9 day cycle with 2 days off between lifting days.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Have you looked into Op I/A? Might be a better fit for your schedule. I agree with Wallbilly, 5 days off in between sessions is just too much.