CHICotM? (Challenge HIC of the Month)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Green2Blue

CHICotM? (Challenge HIC of the Month)

Post by Green2Blue »

I had an idea today and just wanted to see if there was any interest. I thought it would be something fun we could to as a community to be a little more interactive and sort of "team build". At the beginning of each month a HIC is selected. Whoever wants to participate does the HIC and posts their results. I think for fairness and competitiveness the following requirements should be applied:

1. Selected HIC's need to be equally measureable. That means they need to be "for time" or "AMRAP" (as many rounds as possible). HICs with built in rest times might not fit this very well, or things that are highly variable such as hill runs.

2. Selected HIC's should take gear ownership into account. Not all of us have kettlebells we can take to the track. So HICs that have sprints or runs probably shouldn't require more than a pull-up bar (available at most tracks) for the other movements. HICs that involve gear like kettlbells and barbells (which most people have access to at a gym or home gym) shouldn't involve running work because most people don't have tracks at their gym/home gym.

3. Rotate through modalities to give different people with different strengths their time to shine. For example HICs with running one month; and HIC's with, for example, heavy kettlebell swings or pull-ups another month.

Unfortunately I only found 4 HIC's in the book that fit the above requirements: Connaught, Fast 5, GC2, and GC7. So we might have to get creative, but I don't think it would be too much trouble.

I think there should be a winner each month, because we're all a little competitive, but in the end it's just for fun. If there's enough interest hopefully a moderator can champion this and take it over.

I think once a month is good because it's infrequent enough to get excited about, gives people time to do it, and I know a lot of us have specific HIC's we're working on so once a month is infrequent enough to not interfere with regular training.

Just an idea. I'm pretty terrible at HIC's, but I think it would had fun. If anyone else is interested please say so :)

lennarn

Re: CHICotM? (Challenge HIC of the Month)

Post by lennarn »

I think it's a great idea. I'm just imagining the beast praetorian hills amrap we'll be doing a few years down the road...

Shivayan

Post by Shivayan »

Bodyweight WODs would be good for this.

A descending ladder of pull ups/chin ups+dips/push ups for time could one challenge workout.
EG:
20 pull ups+20 dips
16 pull ups+16 dips
12 pull ups+12 dips
and so on.

Its only 60 pull ups and dips total, but its a smoker if done for time.
"Trample the weak, hurdle the dead."
-Attila the Hun.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Good idea dude. I have thought about doing Grinder type workouts every once in awhile in place of either a long run or if its a shorter one in place of a tempo run just to see how General Conditioning is progressing along and to switch it up every once in a blue moon.

This is one I want to use as a benchmark workout.

http://wodwell.com/wod/painstorm-xxiv/

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

KS-90 wrote:Good idea dude. I have thought about doing Grinder type workouts every once in awhile in place of either a long run or if its a shorter one in place of a tempo run just to see how General Conditioning is progressing along and to switch it up every once in a blue moon.

This is one I want to use as a benchmark workout.

http://wodwell.com/wod/painstorm-xxiv/
Damn that one is brutal.

Not much interest so far but I guess I can run this for a few months and see if it gains interest. I want to start with HIC's from the book and then move on to outside sources. I'll start in November.