How many HIC

MxS/SE/HIC/E
xfitxm

How many HIC

Post by xfitxm »

How many conditioning do you usually do with black each week.

In the book it says min 2 HIC min 1 E every other week but min 3 conditioning per week.

So I thought that the week I don't do E I should do 3 HIC. But the more I read on the forum I get the impression that a lot of people are doing 2 HIC every week and 1 E every other week so there is a week with only 2 conditioning instead of three.

Do I misread the forum? Cuz I would love to follow the minimum of the program, progress and have an extra rest day.

I know I will have the it depends on your goals answer, but in general, is it good enough?

Sorntel

Re: How many HIC

Post by Sorntel »

xfitxm wrote:How many conditioning do you usually do with black each week.

In the book it says min 2 HIC min 1 E every other week but min 3 conditioning per week.

So I thought that the week I don't do E I should do 3 HIC. But the more I read on the forum I get the impression that a lot of people are doing 2 HIC every week and 1 E every other week so there is a week with only 2 conditioning instead of three.

Do I misread the forum? Cuz I would love to follow the minimum of the program, progress and have an extra rest day.

I know I will have the it depends on your goals answer, but in general, is it good enough?
Follow your protocol. If you're doing Black Professional, then it's 2 + 1 every week. If you're following standard Black it's 2, +1 every other week. If you're prioritizing strength more than everything else, then stick to 2 HICs/week. This is all covered in the book.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Sorntel wrote:

Follow your protocol. If you're doing Black Professional, then it's 2 + 1 every week. If you're following standard Black it's 2, +1 every other week. If you're prioritizing strength more than everything else, then stick to 2 HICs/week. This is all covered in the book.
That's not what I read. If you go in Black Standard in the section Protocol minimum, you'll see minimum 3 conditionning per week.

3 or 4 paragraphs after it's written clearly: "It’s simple; do at least 3 conditioning sessions a week, 2 of which have to be HIC."

Even in the template grid we see 3 HIC.

That's why I asked.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

xfitxm wrote:
Sorntel wrote:

That's not what I read. If you go in Black Standard in the section Protocol minimum, you'll see minimum 3 conditionning per week.

3 or 4 paragraphs after it's written clearly: "It’s simple; do at least 3 conditioning sessions a week, 2 of which have to be HIC."

That's why I asked.
That's for the standard template. The baseline. The book goes on to talk about changing things depending on your goals. If you continue reading, near the end of the chapter you'll see a heading labelled "Increased Strength Focus" = only 2 HICs per week. If you look at the "Guidelines" at the start of the chapter, under Black protocol you'll see "2-4 HICs" per week, "minimum 2 per week".

It's important to include information about your personal training goals in your question. What are your goals? What qualities are you prioritizing right now? You need to give some input because the answers change depending on what you tell us.

The standard TB program is meant to develop a 50/50 split between strength & conditioning. So it stands to reason the baseline program would be 3 max-strength + 3 Conditioning per week. But if you're not training for a 50/50 split (many people here on the forum give more love to one attribute over another) then that changes. The guidelines are 2-4 HIC per week. What you do depends on what you're training for.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Sorntel wrote:
It's important to include information about your personal training goals in your question. What are your goals? What qualities are you prioritizing right now? You need to give some input because the answers change depending on what you tell us.
This. Tb is a very customized experience depending on what your objective is. It's hard to give training advice without knowing your end-game.

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Sorntel wrote:
xfitxm wrote:
Sorntel wrote:

That's why I asked.
That's for the standard template. The baseline. The book goes on to talk about changing things depending on your goals. If you continue reading, near the end of the chapter you'll see a heading labelled "Increased Strength Focus" = only 2 HICs per week. If you look at the "Guidelines" at the start of the chapter, under Black protocol you'll see "2-4 HICs" per week, "minimum 2 per week".

The standard TB program is meant to develop a 50/50 split between strength & conditioning. So it stands to reason the baseline program would be 3 max-strength + 3 Conditioning per week. But if you're not training for a 50/50 split (many people here on the forum give more love to one attribute over another) then that changes. The guidelines are 2-4 HIC per week. What you do depends on what you're training for.
Yes but in increased strength focus it says not to do any E after BB. That's why I was confused.

I wanted to know in general that's why I didn't say any fitness goal.

But my goal are more, being healthy, lose the extra fat and gain a little muscle while being able to have a decent cardio but nothing extravagant.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

xfitxm wrote: Yes but in increased strength focus it says not to do any E after BB. That's why I was confused.

But my goal are more, being healthy, lose the extra fat and gain a little muscle while being able to have a decent cardio but nothing extravagant.
Well then you have your answer. Why the confusion? If you're training with a focus on strength, then don't do any E after Base and do no more than 2 HIC per week.

But based on your stated goal, you're not training for "strength-focus", you're training for equal focus on all attributes, or the baseline TB protocol. "Strength-focus" is when you rank strength training above HIC, E and SE, when you give it priority and put everything else in second place. An example would be guys with really good cardio that are weak when it comes to weight training. They're good candidates for "strength focus" because they need to bring their strength up to the same level as their cardio. They need to allot more training time to strength, and less to cardio. It seems to me like you may not be really clear on your goal.

Based on what you've said you have two approaches spelled out for you in the book appropriate for your goals; Standard and Professional. Pick your poison and follow it. Do 2 or 3 conditioning sessions per week, it doesn't really matter for this:

"being healthy, lose the extra fat and gain a little muscle while being able to have a decent cardio"

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Sorntel wrote:
xfitxm wrote: Yes but in increased strength focus it says not to do any E after BB. That's why I was confused.

Well then you have your answer. Why the confusion? If you're training with a focus on strength, then don't do any E after Base and do no more than 2 HIC per week.

But based on your stated goal, you're not training for "strength-focus", you're training for equal focus on all attributes, or the baseline TB protocol. "Strength-focus" is when you rank strength training above HIC, E and SE, when you give it priority and put everything else in second place. An example would be guys with really good cardio that are weak when it comes to weight training. They're good candidates for "strength focus" because they need to bring their strength up to the same level as their cardio. They need to allot more training time to strength, and less to cardio. It seems to me like you may not be really clear on your goal.

Based on what you've said you have two approaches spelled out for you in the book appropriate for your goals; Standard and Professional. Pick your poison and follow it. Do 2 or 3 conditioning sessions per week, it doesn't really matter for this:

"being healthy, lose the extra fat and gain a little muscle while being able to have a decent cardio"
Thank You for your answers. Really Appreciate.

Just a last question. Will I still progress with 2 instead of 3 conditionning per week or it will be mainly maintenance?

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

xfitxm wrote: Thank You for your answers. Really Appreciate.

Just a last question. Will I still progress with 2 instead of 3 conditionning per week or it will be mainly maintenance?
Dude, you're unnecessarily overthinking things. There is a template created for you. Created exactly for your goal: Black Standard. Just follow it as written and you'll reach your goal.

jaizoll

Post by jaizoll »

To be honest I was also confused with TBs "3 sessions of conditioning..at least 2 HIC.. and E every other week". I understood it exactly the same as OP, so made me little confused. Maybe that's because english is not my native language.. But finally I just decided not to overthink - if I have time and energy I try to fit 3x HIC / week. In other cases I just try to fit at least 2 conditioning sessions (sometimes it's even GC and E). And it works - never felt fitter and stronger in my 33 years :D