TB Veterans

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

TB Veterans

Post by Barkadion »

I believe there are TB-ers in this forum who have been doing TB training for a long while. I am very interested in your experience and opinions.

Would you mind to share some of your thoughts? Something that can be useful for new members like myself.

Some of your mistakes, revelations, adjustments. Lessons you are learned. Something that didn't work for you. Something that helped you along the way...

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Re: TB Veterans

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, don't think I qualify as having done TB a "long while" but having run several blocks, the biggest mistake I made was to be overly aggressive on the forced progression. That may not apply as well to somebody who is newer to lifting of course. But when newer to TB, I kept adding to that training max at a rate that was faster than I could reasonable expect to gain strength given how many years I had already been lifting. After a few blocks that mean the lifting was not being done as intended and probably should be with the TB frequency. So I would say just don't get misled by the individual sets and days not kicking your ass.

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Most recent training results: Within the past 6 months I increased my 5RM bench by 20lbs while simultaneously bringing my 5k time down from 26 to 21. Combo of Base-Building, Operator and Black protocol's responsible.

Using the TB principles were a game changer for me. In particular:
Frequency (each lift 3 x week)
Aerobic Base Building (Never was strict or structured with long runs before TB)
SE was brand new and a learning experience. I've done plenty of cals in the military, but again nothing structured and progressive like SE circuits.

Lessons Learned:
USE A TRAINING MAX (Unless you don't do cardio. Maybe even then.) I ran into a wall when I ditched my TM. Immediately started progressing again when I brought it back.

Don't use more than 5 exercises for SE
Use light weight for SE. I can get away with more weight when I use Alpha or Tango circuits.

Deadlifting more than once a week doesn't agree with me.

Eat carbs. Over eating is better than under eating when running a program like TB. Better for performance, energy, and body composition.

Unless it's HIC, leave the gym while you're still relatively fresh.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, don't think I qualify as having done TB a "long while" but having run several blocks, the biggest mistake I made was to be overly aggressive on the forced progression. That may not apply as well to somebody who is newer to lifting of course. But when newer to TB, I kept adding to that training max at a rate that was faster than I could reasonable expect to gain strength given how many years I had already been lifting. After a few blocks that mean the lifting was not being done as intended and probably should be with the TB frequency. So I would say just don't get misled by the individual sets and days not kicking your ass.
Thank you. Very good point. I have to remind myself to be reasonable with progressing constantly. My stupid ego jumps into the reasoning and messes everything up..

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Vagabond wrote:Most recent training results: Within the past 6 months I increased my 5RM bench by 20lbs while simultaneously bringing my 5k time down from 26 to 21. Combo of Base-Building, Operator and Black protocol's responsible.

Using the TB principles were a game changer for me. In particular:
Frequency (each lift 3 x week)
Aerobic Base Building (Never was strict or structured with long runs before TB)
SE was brand new and a learning experience. I've done plenty of cals in the military, but again nothing structured and progressive like SE circuits.

Lessons Learned:
USE A TRAINING MAX (Unless you don't do cardio. Maybe even then.) I ran into a wall when I ditched my TM. Immediately started progressing again when I brought it back.

Don't use more than 5 exercises for SE
Use light weight for SE. I can get away with more weight when I use Alpha or Tango circuits.

Deadlifting more than once a week doesn't agree with me.

Eat carbs. Over eating is better than under eating when running a program like TB. Better for performance, energy, and body composition.

Unless it's HIC, leave the gym while you're still relatively fresh.
Really appreciate that. Your last point is very important for me personally. "You are not working out hard enough if you aren't puking your guts out" mentality keeps banging into my mind. I need to learn "relatively fresh" attitude..

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

221B wrote:This is the first time in my life I'm seeing simultaneous progress in both strength and cardio. My biggest lesson was using a heart rate monitor during base. I was going too fast, didn't realize it until I measured it.
Thank you! Same here. HR monitor helps me a lot.

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

Barkadion wrote:HR monitor helps me a lot.
Looking forward to getting a HRM before my next base! Thanks everyone for sharing your lessons learned. Very interesting to read.