Which TB protocol should I use?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Cordath

Which TB protocol should I use?

Post by Cordath »

Alright, so I just got both the books and have just started in on the 8-week base building block. I was just wondering if I could get a little bit of advice as to which schedule would be the best for me to follow in the long term, considering my goals?
I was thinking I may go with the fighter protocol, but was wondering how much strength I would sacrifice in doing that?

I do have a black belt in karate, but I recently began having some back issues due to my feet being unevenly arched so I'll be unable to attend it for a while. I'm sure the fact that I work as a writer contributed to this as I have to sit for much of the day, and that has resulted in me having some killer anterior spine tilt which I'm trying to rectify through stretching. Deadlifts absolutely wreak havoc on my lower back. Because of the time off of karate, my cardio has really suffered, and so a two-minute sparring session leaves me flat out. Martial arts was really the only cardio I got.

Time isn't really an issue for me. I can go to the gym every day if need be.

My main goals are to become as well rounded in my fitness as I can, while still being able to outlast people in fights/general endurance. I'd like to try out freerunning/rock climbing once my back isn't screwed up, so endurance is important. But again, I want to be strong enough to land some heavy hits when sparring. It's also worth noting that I swim a fair bit. Any thoughts?

Thank you (:

Geidi

Re: Which TB protocol should I use?

Post by Geidi »

Hi Cordath, my recommendation is Base Building followed by Black with Operator. When you get to Black, if your cardio's still a weak point, then make sure most of your HICs are running based, like Fast 5, Oxygen Debt 101, and hill sprints. Don't be afraid to throw in a 3rd LSS/E session every week or two.

Cordath

Post by Cordath »

Geidi wrote:Hi Cordath, my recommendation is Base Building followed by Black with Operator. When you get to Black, if your cardio's still a weak point, then make sure most of your HICs are running based, like Fast 5, Oxygen Debt 101, and hill sprints. Don't be afraid to throw in a 3rd LSS/E session every week or two.
Awesome. Thank you for that ^^

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Cordath wrote:Alright, so I just got both the books and have just started in on the 8-week base building block. I was just wondering if I could get a little bit of advice as to which schedule would be the best for me to follow in the long term, considering my goals?
I was thinking I may go with the fighter protocol, but was wondering how much strength I would sacrifice in doing that?

I do have a black belt in karate, but I recently began having some back issues due to my feet being unevenly arched so I'll be unable to attend it for a while. I'm sure the fact that I work as a writer contributed to this as I have to sit for much of the day, and that has resulted in me having some killer anterior spine tilt which I'm trying to rectify through stretching. Deadlifts absolutely wreak havoc on my lower back. Because of the time off of karate, my cardio has really suffered, and so a two-minute sparring session leaves me flat out. Martial arts was really the only cardio I got.

My main goals are to become as well rounded in my fitness as I can, while still being able to outlast people in fights/general endurance. I'd like to try out freerunning/rock climbing once my back isn't screwed up, so endurance is important. But again, I want to be strong enough to land some heavy hits when sparring. It's also worth noting that I swim a fair bit. Any thoughts?

Thank you (:
There are ways to help restore your arches that I would look into. Just search mobility foot arches. I've suffered from plantar fasciitis in the past from hiking so much with boots that have a 12mm drop and higher. Tells my feet/lower legs they don't need to be as strong as they should. And there's no minimalist boot on the planet that will last longer than a month where I hike. So anytime I'm not wearing boots, I'm barefoot or wearing zero drop bare minimal shoes. Added some mobility exercises in consistently and the problem went away.

If deadlifting is killing your back, I can't imagine squatting or running would be any better right now. Mobility should be a priority. Barefoot as much as possible. Your core needs to be a solid foundation for the rest of the body, especially when performing compound movements with heavy weight like squats and deadlifts

Cordath

Post by Cordath »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Cordath wrote:Alright, so I just got both the books and have just started in on the 8-week base building block. I was just wondering if I could get a little bit of advice as to which schedule would be the best for me to follow in the long term, considering my goals?

Thank you (:
There are ways to help restore your arches that I would look into. Just search mobility foot arches. I've suffered from plantar fasciitis in the past from hiking so much with boots that have a 12mm drop and higher. Tells my feet/lower legs they don't need to be as strong as they should. And there's no minimalist boot on the planet that will last longer than a month where I hike. So anytime I'm not wearing boots, I'm barefoot or wearing zero drop bare minimal shoes. Added some mobility exercises in consistently and the problem went away.

If deadlifting is killing your back, I can't imagine squatting or running would be any better right now. Mobility should be a priority. Barefoot as much as possible. Your core needs to be a solid foundation for the rest of the body, especially when performing compound movements with heavy weight like squats and deadlifts
Honestly, running and squatting doesn't really bother me that much. I can squat 200 lbs and be fine. Running doesn't really bother me either. It's just the deadlifts. I'll definately take your advice about my soles and core.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I have had some success in the past using fighter with the following cluster: Weighted Pistol squats, Benchpress, Weighted Pullups.
I did this due to some lower back and mobility issues at the time. I also did a one arm overhead carry (alternate L and R)and farmers walk circuit for a couple rounds after. I did all this in bare feet or new balance minimus shoes to strengthen my feet up.

You might want to do something like that with your karate on the side as specific conditioning. You can just work on technique at the karate and some general conditioning.
Throw in an LSD run or two depending on how things feel and try and get out on a trail for this. You can jump on the occasional log, park bench or similar to get a taste of parkour. Climb a tree or do some rock climbing when you can fit it in.

I did the above while doing bjj, surfing, diving and just generally living life. I think something like the above would be perfect for you to still make some progression while letting your body work it's arch issues out. If they persist see a doc, but the above saved me from having to go down the route of orthodics and motion control shoes.