Started Operator this week but seeking some advice...

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

Started Operator this week but seeking some advice...

Post by cws1992 »

1) My cluster is SQ/BE/Pendlay Rows w/Deadlift once a week x3 work sets. However, I really want to throw in pull ups. I can do around 14 bodyweight pull ups. Would it be detrimental to do an X amount of pull ups (or weighted pull ups) on my HIC days (black conditioning)? Maybe some dips or weighted dips on HIC days too? (worried about muscular imbalance)

2) With my schedule, it doesn't really go well with a 7 day workout schedule. Im a firefighter and I work 24 on 48 off. Sometimes I get mandatory'd and have to work 48 hours straight. But even when I don't get mandatory'd Operator still doesn't work with my schedule. I plan on doing strength training only when I have days off and doing HIC/E on days I work. Should I run Operator I/A as it is more flexible with my schedule?

BTW, TB has helped me tremendously. In fire academy (back in march) i was running 12 min 1.5 miles. A couple weeks ago I ran a 9:58 1.5 mile (fastest out of all recruits), and last night ran my first ever 5k (Fast tempo run HIC #3 i think) and ran it in 22:45. My goal is to get that under 20 min, but strength is #1 priority.

J-Madd

Re: Started Operator this week but seeking some advice...

Post by J-Madd »

cws1992 wrote:1) My cluster is SQ/BE/Pendlay Rows w/Deadlift once a week x3 work sets. However, I really want to throw in pull ups. I can do around 14 bodyweight pull ups. Would it be detrimental to do an X amount of pull ups (or weighted pull ups) on my HIC days (black conditioning)? Maybe some dips or weighted dips on HIC days too? (worried about muscular imbalance)

2) With my schedule, it doesn't really go well with a 7 day workout schedule. Im a firefighter and I work 24 on 48 off. Sometimes I get mandatory'd and have to work 48 hours straight. But even when I don't get mandatory'd Operator still doesn't work with my schedule. I plan on doing strength training only when I have days off and doing HIC/E on days I work. Should I run Operator I/A as it is more flexible with my schedule?

BTW, TB has helped me tremendously. In fire academy (back in march) i was running 12 min 1.5 miles. A couple weeks ago I ran a 9:58 1.5 mile (fastest out of all recruits), and last night ran my first ever 5k (Fast tempo run HIC #3 i think) and ran it in 22:45. My goal is to get that under 20 min, but strength is #1 priority.
If I were you, I would drop the Pendlay Rows, and add in WPU. With once/week DL and the WPU, you have your pulling well covered. I wouldn't add the dips on your HIC days. Those will hurt your recovery for the BP on MS days, and the BP will cover your triceps, shoulders, pecs, etc. just fine. Rather than adding in extra exercise/workouts, I recommend increasing your volume a bit on main lifts in the SWAT cluster.

Given you scheduling, I also think OP I/A will be the way to go.