Training for a race

MxS/SE/HIC/E
lennarn

Training for a race

Post by lennarn »

I've signed up for an 8k ocr in September 2017. My aerobic shape is pretty much abysmal. How would you plan your training for that? I'm thinking that January 1st I'm going to start Grouchy's pre-bb, then transition that into true BB, and continue with one block of green before going into black for the rest of the period before the race. It will be mostly intensive on running, hill running, burpees and grip challenges.
Should I be doing a block of green with tempo runs etc close to the race? How long should I deload before race day?

J-Madd

Re: Training for a race

Post by J-Madd »

How you train for this race probably has mostly to do with how important your performance in that particular event is to you. I do occasional road races just to give myself a serious check-in for my running competency and to take the chance to compete a little bit. I don't, however, train for them specifically. I jump into the race and use it as one of my conditioning sessions for the week. For example, I did a 5 mile race yesterday, even though I'm in Black now. I didn't do anything specifically to prepare for that run. Doing a regular annual TB schedule (base building block, followed by a continuation protocol that involves a good bit of running) should get you into good enough shape to COMPLETE a 5-10K race in pretty good order. For my money, you don't need Green to get to the 5-10K range. Black Pro, or even standard Black, are probably enough (after a solid base build). If you have an open country race (that's "our", right?) or obstacle race on the horizon, you might skew your LSS toward fun runs, but otherwise just follow the regular templates and you should be able to do this sort of event. I would also keep 600m Resets in your toolbox.

If you are worried about placing, getting to a very impressive time, or trying 1/2 or full marathons, then a more specialized protocol might be in order. Use Green for continuation or start a program designed exclusively to develop your running.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Base Building plus either protocol will easily do the job for an 8k. My only piece of advice is not to fiddle around with burpees and other non-running HICs. Stick to the basics; Hill Sprints, SE Ladders, Oxygen Debt, and Fast 5s. Do an easy E long run once a week, or EOW. Build up to 60 mins. (in addition to JMadd's excellent advice)

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I couldn't agree more with everything that's been said. Here's my $.02, from a little personal experience. I used to run 40-50 miles/week. I was a decent distance runner, but never a podium finisher or anywhere close, but I enjoyed it. Then I moved more into strength training and overall fitness instead of distance running. I tried numerous systems/programs/whatever you want to call them until I stumbled upon TB1&2. Throughout all of those programs and even into TB1&2, I felt that I had to keep a long run of an hour (7-8 miles) once per week (in other words, Black Pro) or my distance running would go into the toilet. Boy was I wrong. In the last few months, I have moved to Op I/A with Black standard doing an 8-day week by working out 3 days on, rest day, 3 days off, rest day. With Black standard, I have also moved to doing one long run every other week instead of weekly. I now alternate that long run every other week with a GC session. Here's the surprising thing. My legs feel fresher and my long runs feel easier now than when I was doing Black Pro. Now to back up to my distance running days, nothing prepares you for distance running like running so I am not suggesting that Black standard would prepare you for a half or full marathon. However, in terms of general fitness and balancing strength with conditioning, Black standard has really worked well for me, and I have no doubt that Base Building followed by Black standard would prepare you or me well for an 8k obstacle course race.
Last edited by mikhou on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:Iobstacle course race.
Of course. "Open country race"? I'm a moron!

By the way Mikhou, that's exactly my experience with standard Black too.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:
mikhou wrote:Iobstacle course race.
Of course. "Open country race"? I'm a moron!

By the way Mikhou, that's exactly my experience with standard Black too.
Haha! That made me laugh out loud! :-)