Ab wheel

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

Ab wheel

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys, I saw the "Abs" post from yesterday and several suggested the ab wheel as an excellent tool for core work. I would have posted this over there, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. I personally only started using an ab wheel recently, and I started out on my knees and am proficient at that now. Do you guys have any suggestions for progressing to standing ab wheel rollouts from having done them on your knees. It seems like a big jump from knees to standing. Are there any in-between progressions that you would recommend?

mikhou

Barkadion

Re: Ab wheel

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:Hey guys, I saw the "Abs" post from yesterday and several suggested the ab wheel as an excellent tool for core work. I would have posted this over there, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. I personally only started using an ab wheel recently, and I started out on my knees and am proficient at that now. Do you guys have any suggestions for progressing to standing ab wheel rollouts from having done them on your knees. It seems like a big jump from knees to standing. Are there any in-between progressions that you would recommend?

mikhou

- Adding weighted vest
- Elevating knees by putting it on the plates, steps, blocks
- Using incline board standing and changing the angle
- Standing

Ross nails it. He is ab wheel pro:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2011/03/03 ... -tutorial/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Adski

Post by Adski »

x2 what barkadion said.

Also, Olympic Rings are great to use as well, I used them to get extra volume a few years back while working toward standing Rollouts.

Banded good mornings were a mainstay as well, I found that they really developed the posterior chain and helped prevent swaying of the lower back.

Weighted planks were very useful as well.

This was advice I had actually received from Ross Enamait, he also gave me some tips on how to program them. All the best.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

You might want to try golden combo:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2014/05/02 ... riation-2/

Adski

Post by Adski »

@ Barkadion. True, I've worked with them all except the sliders. I don't know why I haven't tried that! I remember him saying to add a couple of drops of rain x to the bottoms of the sliders so they, well, slide more smoothly.

Going by your log, you're a bit of a rollout ninja yourself aren't you?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Adski wrote:@ Barkadion. True, I've worked with them all except the sliders. I don't know why I haven't tried that! I remember him saying to add a couple of drops of rain x to the bottoms of the sliders so they, well, slide more smoothly.

Going by your log, you're a bit of a rollout ninja yourself aren't you?
More like Genin, mate :D

But joking asides.. getting sliders was one of the few things that changed my understanding of training. I have to thank Ross for that well.. as for many other things. And if you ask me what would be my choice for the drill/exercise if I can do only one exercise for the rest of my life... yes! Rollout/push-up combo!

Adski

Post by Adski »

Hahaha!

I'm sure you've moved up the ranks by now.

But yea, it definitely is a favourite, I haven't done the combo in a while, perhaps before the end of the training week.