Base Building Options - 7 or 8 day week?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

Base Building Options - 7 or 8 day week?

Post by mikhou »

I'm just mulling something over in my mind here. I'm still probably 5-6 months from my next Base building phase. What I am currently doing is Op I/A on an 8-day schedule as follows: Op, HIC, Op, Rest, HIC, Op, E/GC, Rest. So that's 3 days on / 1 day off. I'm thinking through my next base phase and am considering 2 options. On both I would do Strength First using Fighter.

Option 1 - Do base as shown in TB2 using Fighter but taking the recovery day. So I would be doing 3 E sessions and 2 Fighter sessions during the first 5 weeks.

Option 2 - Do base as 3 days on / 1 day off using Fighter Bangkok and an 8-day week. It would look like this: Fighter, E, Bangkok, Rest, E, Fighter, E, Rest. With this option I would complete the first phase of Base in 6 weeks instead of 5. I offer this options because I like the idea of doing some SE alongside Fighter but I've found that at 43yo I don't like the idea of going over 3 days without a rest day.

My personal opinion is that both would give the same results and that by even thinking about these things I am splitting hairs and wasting brain cells. However, if I am violating the rules of base building by not keeping a higher focus on E sessions vs. strength sessions in Option 2, I'd like to hear you say so. Thanks.
Last edited by mikhou on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aelian

Re: Base Building Options - 7 or 8 day week?

Post by Aelian »

The purpose of Base is primarily to develop the aerobic system. KB lays out the minimum #of aerobic sessions as being 3 per week (7 days).

You can plan your SE or MS however you like, but I would make sure to get at least 3 E sessions in per 7 day week.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

x2 what Aelian said. At least 3 E per 7 day cycle. I actually really like the look of Option 1.....you could use that extra rest day for an extra E or even SE when you feel like it.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Instead of thinking in weeks why do you just work out the minimum amount of sessions you need to complete to reach your base building goals.
That way you can set it up like a calendar and just tick off your sessions as you go.

Tick everything off and you have completed the goals for that training cycle. It gives a bit more flexibility and allows you to auto regulate.
Similar to an 8 day week, but when you are able you can finish in 7 days.