sled and weighted carries

MxS/SE/HIC/E
fitnessguru

sled and weighted carries

Post by fitnessguru »

hi
i have TB v2 and v3, and TB2.

Currently using zulu 4 day template...i really love this program (started with SS and then GSLP before TB)

I also like to to push/pull a sled and do loaded carries 2x a week
Each of these takes about 20 min to complete
Currently on 2 zulu days I use the sled
and the other 2 days carries (farmers walk, sandbag carries)

Is this an ideal situation or should they be done on the 2 conditioning days?

I was planning on using the 2 conditioning days to start running and doing some HIC (3 mile run + HIC)

M/Th - bench / weighed pullups / front squat / sled
Tu/Fr - push press / deadlift (1-3 sets) / carries
Wed/Sa - 3 mi run + HIC

2 x a week - separate mini workouts of high rep chinups and dips
DAILY 20 min walks with a 40lb weight vest and stretching

Goals - general fitness -- strenght, flexibility, aerobic and anaerobic conditioning
just a regular mid-40s guy ... sit in front of a computer all day....
i've neglected aerobic conditioning in years ... but TB2 makes sense and motivated me to get back into running

thanks
Last edited by fitnessguru on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyr0331

Re: sled and weighted carries

Post by Tyr0331 »

You can use them as a finisher on your strength days as long as they don't interfere with your lifting

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I don't see any reason why your pushes/carries can't be considered HIC's.

Ideally HIC's are done on their own day, but doing them after MS is acceptable. If you like to push/carry, then push/carry. If you want to be more well rounded, then sprinkle in other kinds of HIC's. At minimum get in your E session every other week.

Do what you enjoy. The best program is the one you'll actually do.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:You can use them as a finisher on your strength days as long as they don't interfere with your lifting
My experience with sled/prowler is that usually it finishes me, not the other way around :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

fitnessguru

Post by fitnessguru »

thanks for the replies!

i will continue to do them after strength days and on conditioning days focus on runs and HIC (alot of good examples in TB2).
heavy sled and carries have a large strength compenent to them... so i guess in order to limit strength training to 4 days a week i will keep my routine as is.

this is a great program for the everyday guy that wants a high level of general fitness...templates are provided and just plug in the lifts you want to work on.

i've found that other programs are too oriented on powerlifting or too much conditioning without structured strength programming

Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Hello everyone

I didn’t want to open a new topic, so I looked for another similar...

I was reading Ageless Athlete, in particular the chapter about Farmer’s Carry...i’d Really like to implement Farmer’s in my MS days as a finisher, after my main lifts...

My problems and my questions...I have only a Dumbbell (I can add weight to it) and I train at home, so I don’t have space to walk

I read in the book that it is recommended to do 2 sets of 100yards and if one can’t walk, it’s possible to substitute the carrying part with a stationary hold (in this case holding the dumbbell against time)

I have no idea how to program a static hold with a dumbbell...I thought something similar:

60 sec. Right arm
60 sec. Left arm
This is one set, then 2/3 min rest
60 sec. Right arm
60 sec. Left arm

When the 2 sets become easy, i’ll Add some weight...

1) is it a good way to do it or time/sets are too short and I need more work?
2) can I do it 3xweek after my MS lifts?

Thanks again!

Stefano

CD51

Post by CD51 »

You just posted that you are started a new cluster of DL and OHP. Get through a couple of blocks and evaluate your progress before starting anything else new. Your lower back, hips and grip will be plenty taxed pulling three days a week. Adding HIC work for those muscles may prove to be too much.