Zulu 1A, S&S and accessory guidance.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
PeterHealey

Zulu 1A, S&S and accessory guidance.

Post by PeterHealey »

Looking into running Zulu 1A as it leaves room for accessory lifts/training. My intention would be to follow

A day: Monday, sqt/ohp/wpu
B day: Tuesday, bench/Dl. (3 work sets for DL)
Wed: HIC
A day: Thursday (same as Monday)
B day Friday (same as Tuesday) minus the DL
Sat: E, LSS or ruck.

I would like to incorporate simple and sinister routine as well as dips as an accessory into the equation. Any thoughts? I was thinking S & S Monday, Wed, Thursday and Friday but not sure about where to put the dips. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Aelian

Re: Zulu 1A, S&S and accessory guidance.

Post by Aelian »

PeterHealey wrote:Looking into running Zulu 1A as it leaves room for accessory lifts/training. My intention would be to follow

I would like to incorporate simple and sinister routine as well as dips as an accessory into the equation. Any thoughts? I was thinking S & S Monday, Wed, Thursday and Friday but not sure about where to put the dips. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Incorporating the entire S&S routine into this is too much imo, trying to do too many things at once. If it were me I'd add KB swing finishers after two of your sessions and leave it at that.

What are your goals for this block exactly?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

I'm with Aelian on this one...this is kitchen sink territory. Pavel recommends not doing more than 2 days of S&S if you're also doing a strength program. Honestly, I'd pick one or the other. That being said, what are you hoping to get out of this block? If it's a max-strength block, then stick with Zulu and throw in a few swings after your strength work or on HIC days. If you're leaning towards improvement in SE... then do S&S.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

Pick S&S or pick Zulu. Don't try to do two programs at the same time.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hear you regarding doing too much at once. I have a tendency to do that at times and it inevitably backfires at some point. I am new to TB and feel like a kid in a candy store with what is available in this program. Just nearing the end of my 1st 12 week block of Operator/black and have felt some solid improvement all round. My goals are not specific beyond equal amounts of strength and fitness for life. I would add to that a goal of that strength and fitness reflected aesthetically. I was thinking that Zulu may be a better template for achieving the aesthetic goal without leaving out strength and conditioning simply because of the allowed accessories component. Maybe I should stick with Operator/Black for another block and be patient with myself (and continue to address diet for aesthetics). Just thinking aloud.
Pete

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

PeterHealey wrote:Looking into running Zulu 1A as it leaves room for accessory lifts/training. My intention would be to follow

Peter - You don't need to scrap the entire plan. I would put the S&S-style swings on Friday. You could also put your dips in on Tues/Friday. With Zulu, you can have some accessories, but (as the other folks point out) you can't effective run two very different programs simultaneously. If you want more work on your swings, I also encourage you to do a KB-based HIC (Apex, Meet Eater, BOO) on Wednesday.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

PeterHealey wrote: Just nearing the end of my 1st 12 week block of Operator/black and have felt some solid improvement all round. My goals are not specific beyond equal amounts of strength and fitness for life. I would add to that a goal of that strength and fitness reflected aesthetically.
Things are going well...what can I do to screw it up? :)

Instead of completely changing something, it might be a better idea to make a few minor adjustments in the direction of your goals. Instead of changing templates and adding on an entire program; add in a few swing or get-up finishers. As far as aesthetics, it's been said many times and it holds true; form follows function. Follow a TB strength and conditioning protocol and you will be aesthetically pleasing. It's almost impossible not to be, unless you're not as consistent as you think you are. And of course you have to give it some time, Rome wasn't built in a day!

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Sometimes putting it out there gives me a chance to observe my own BS. Yes things are going well and I'll run with another Operator/black with some finishers as suggested.