Greasing the Groove HLR

MxS/SE/HIC/E
PeterHealey

Greasing the Groove HLR

Post by PeterHealey »

Hi all. Will 'greasing the groove' with hanging leg raises, sit ups, or other body weight excercises be detrimental to an Operator/Black template? KB says that "A fourth bodyweight exercise is acceptable" could that extend to 'GTG'? My understanding of GTG is to 'practice' the movements staying well away from failure multiple times per day and throughout the week. I have an office job with my home gym here on site and often feel the urge to 'do something' to expend some energy beyond sitting on my arse all day.
Pete

DocOctagon

Re: Greasing the Groove HLR

Post by DocOctagon »

No. GTG will pre-fatigue your muscles and make you weaker and "less fresh" during your max strength sessions. It seems like you're trying to chase too many goals...and you're not going to do any of them justice by dividing up your energies when you don't have to.

I'd suggest picking a goal for each block, one for conditioning and one for strength. So this block could be max-strength and HIC and maybe your next block could have an SE focus while you simply maintain max-strength. "Maintain" doesn't mean it stays static, it just means you progress it a little slower or spend less time on it, like switch to Fighter or use a minimalist cluster with Op along with minimal sets.

What is your bodyweight pull-up max right now?

Disregard the above, I took GTG to mean pull-ups. I don't see any harm in GTG'ng leg raises, although personally I'd rather get in a couple sets of ab wheel after each Operator session instead.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks Doc, appreciate the feedback. Pete

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

DocOctagon wrote:No. GTG will pre-fatigue your muscles and make you weaker and "less fresh" during your max strength sessions. It seems like you're trying to chase too many goals...and you're not going to do any of them justice by dividing up your energies when you don't have to.

I'd suggest picking a goal for each block, one for conditioning and one for strength. So this block could be max-strength and HIC and maybe your next block could have an SE focus while you simply maintain max-strength. "Maintain" doesn't mean it stays static, it just means you progress it a little slower or spend less time on it, like switch to Fighter or use a minimalist cluster with Op along with minimal sets.

What is your bodyweight pull-up max right now?

Disregard the above, I took GTG to mean pull-ups. I don't see any harm in GTG'ng leg raises, although personally I'd rather get in a couple sets of ab wheel after each Operator session instead.
I agree with Doc on both counts. its a bad idea to GTG pull-ups alongside Operator, and a little core work (wheel, leg raises, etc.) after your Operator sessions is fine. I would keep it to just a couple sets.