Hip mobility

MxS/SE/HIC/E
keith

Hip mobility

Post by keith »

I've struggled for years with hip mobility and have tried many things but stuck with none, due mainly to little or no improvement.
I came across an article (link below) on a simple 'shin box' progression a few days ago. I have been doing it three times a day and it takes at most five minutes each time. I have noticed a big improvement already.

Keith

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-b ... s-athletes

Barkadion

Re: Hip mobility

Post by Barkadion »

What works for me mostly is 3rd world squat, clamshell, and yoga. Yoga literally saved me once.

Another thing is any type of glute activation mobility drills takes load off my hips and hams. Things like birddog, side steps with bands, etc.

Just my 2c.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I mostly maintain my hip mobility with third world squats, pigeon pose, and a few other exercises along those lines.

I used to have very tight hips until I began training in Kyokushinkai Karate. Many of the kicks I had problems with, but fortunately my instructor was second generation from Oyama and recommended me what I recall as shiko, the traditional sumo exercise. Started off at maybe 10 reps per side, eventually he had me work up to 100 per side over the next few weeks. Within a few short months I could actually do high kicks. I kept them up for a while, but started neglecting them as my mobility was good. I should experiment with them again for a bit.

Basic idea was to start in this stance, called shiko dachi (square or horse stance - feet double shoulder width apart, turned out 45 degrees, weight evenly distributed, hips just above the knees, hands on your thighs). You would exhale as you let your hips drop into the stretch, then rise up until your knees are almost locked. Keeping your hands on your thigh, you'd raise your leg to the side as high as you can as you inhale, hold it for a second or two, then lower it back down into the stance and drop your hips into it again like before. That's one rep. It's not uncommon for sumo wrestlers to do hundreds of these as getting their hips low in sumo is incredibly important.

This exercise in action. Amazing flexibility for such a big guy.
https://youtu.be/WHIYWf2CTSY

antlas

Post by antlas »

Wow, that explains a lot. I've always felt like my hips are really tight, even though I can do an almost perfect third world squat and I can lay flat in pigeon pose. I could never figure out what was tight until now - I just tried that sumo stretch and my range of motion on the outside extension was horrific. Now I know what I need to work on. Thanks!

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Few off the top of my head KStar uses frequently are couch stretch, super frog, and others have already been listed