KB Squats

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Mulcman7

KB Squats

Post by Mulcman7 »

I'm starting an Operator cluster of SQ/BP/WPU + DL (DL'ing either once per week or once every other week depending on what my lower back can tolerate). My question has to do with sub'ing double KB front squats for barbell back squats. Due to some significant back issues, 3x/week barbell squats is out of the question, but I'm confident that double KB front squats will work well.

What do you all think about loading and progression across the 6 week cycle? I can handle 5x5 with a pair of 32 kg KBs any day of the week, and 5x5 with a pair of 36 kg bells is tough. I'm thinking maybe the following:

Week 1: 3x5 w/ 28s
Week 2: 3x5 w/ 32s
Week 3: 3x5 w/ 36s
Week 4: 5x5 w/ 28s
Week 5: 5x5 w/ 32s
Week 6: 5x5 w/ 36s

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Green2Blue

Re: KB Squats

Post by Green2Blue »

J-Madd wrote:Because most collections of KB's make big jumps in weight from one KB to the next, it is very difficult to program them using a percentage of 1RM.
Have you thought about barbel front squats?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Green2Blue wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Because most collections of KB's make big jumps in weight from one KB to the next, it is very difficult to program them using a percentage of 1RM.
Have you thought about barbel front squats?
Beat me to it! ....x2

You could even start lighter than normal, a 70 or 80% trg max.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Give it a go mate. You wont get that much stronger, but you will get better at kettlebell squats and it's only 6 weeks.
You could up the leg conditioning in that time if the back can take it.
You may have some increases in your other lifts also due to more recovery.

I can usually sprint hard even when my back plays up so maybe you could work a high volume of hill sprints and take advantage of easier squats.

Or as above do front squats with a barbell, but I like to experiment sometimes.