Stalling

MxS/SE/HIC/E
KS-90

Stalling

Post by KS-90 »

Hey guys,

Sorry this will be a bit of a long one!

Ran three TB cycles and have had really good progress. A 6 week block of Fighter followed by two 6 week blocks of Operator. Was busy with work/life, have some nagging sciatic issues, and still increased weights.

I was feeling great on the first Fighter block (Deadlift/Bench/WPU) used the same cluster for the first OP Block and felt solid. Then added in High Bar Squats for the last 6 week block AND cut out running (Which I assumed would help with adding in Squats again) and felt pretty shitty most of the block.

Now on the second week of my third OP block I decided fighter might be a better option as my hips were feeling fairly beat up. Just adjusted and used the weights I had just used for week 2. Except only twice that week hoping to cut volume and feel a bit better (ala Fighter Template)

Stalled HARD with my 90% weights the next week; Barely got the Squats out then got buried on the Bench

My current numbers are:
6'2" 170lbs 26yo
High Bar Squat: 255
Bench: 225
Deadlift: 350
WPU: +90

I decided some rest was in order and have only hit a few workouts the last week. Nothing to stressful

I want to hit a 255 Bench, 405 Deadlift, and get my WPU up to the point that I can crank out 20 strict paused bodyweight Pull ups fairly easily (I am close to that now I think). I also want to start Overhead pressing as I could only get 115 when I used to be able to do 140 at this bodyweight, I feel like Im just asking for a shoulder injury with a strength discrepency like that... Another goal is to go sub 9 on the 1.5 mile but I am close to that.. Or I should say that is a goal I am fine with setting aside to build strength first.

Now with that in mind. How do some of you guys think I should program to hit those weights. I have been thinking Zulu may be a good fit which leads me to my second question. While I am confident the weights I want to hit ARE achievable at my current bodyweight I think it will take a long time to get there. I am pretty wiry and not exactly built to lift weights. Im thinking moving up to 180 would be a smart move to facilitate building the strength I want, while not removing me to far from my Endurance Goals.

So now with that context of where I am and where I want to get to. How would you guys go about this. Would you use Zulu? With the way squats have been giving me issues and the sciatic stuff would you squat and cut the weights or just Deadlift/Deadlift variant to build to the 405 Pull? How would you guys program for mass while sticking with TB as a foundation? Would you use accessories with Zulu to reduce some main lift volume or not? How fast would you try and get to 180 (I was 195ish before when trying GOMAD but my natural weight is 170)? Again I have some ideas but Id like outside advice as my ideas lead to a big stall lol.

Now hopefully my phone posts this and doesnt log me out.

Green2Blue

Re: Stalling

Post by Green2Blue »

Dude, I understand stalling. It's unbelievably frustrating. I wrote a lengthy post in my log a few weeks ago about goal specific training. That would be my recommendation.

Pick one or two goals in the same domain (maybe an upper and lower body strength movement), only do enough to maintain in other domains, and drive drive drive. Putting your energy and focus into as few goals as possible at once makes you more likely to succeed.

You are one very fast guy, your track workouts are an inspiration to me. So you can afford to put your running on maintenance mode for a while. If I had to guess I'd say all of the energy you pour into other endeavors are hurting your strength goals.

The goal specific training is just a theory, I haven't been able to apply it yet. But KB even talks about some of the concepts in TB2. Go read the post in my log if you're interested. I go into much more detail there.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:Dude, I understand stalling. It's unbelievably frustrating. I wrote a lengthy post in my log a few weeks ago about goal specific training. That would be my recommendation.

Pick one or two goals in the same domain (maybe an upper and lower body strength movement), only do enough to maintain in other domains, and drive drive drive. Putting your energy and focus into as few goals as possible at once makes you more likely to succeed.

You are one very fast guy, your track workouts are an inspiration to me. So you can afford to put your running on maintenance mode for a while. If I had to guess I'd say all of the energy you pour into other endeavors are hurting your strength goals.

The goal specific training is just a theory, I haven't been able to apply it yet. But KB even talks about some of the concepts in TB2. Go read the post in my log if you're interested. I go into much more detail there.
G2B, I am with you on this one.

I just want to say that "stalling" and "slow progression" are two different animals. Who said that you SHOULD progress over N weeks? People just get too nervous abut that (including myself). It takes patience to really get into the understanding big lifetime picture and to recruit yourself into that. I am still learning it.. Patience is a virtue ;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I agree with what the other fellas have to say here.

You are moving a lot of variables around from block to block, so it's really hard to determine what the problem is (or even whether there is a problem). G2B is right -- your running is awesome. Don't ignore it, but don't die on that hill right now either.

I recommend that you drop your training maxes a bit (2-5%), and then take a run using Operator using a BP/WPU/DL cluster. The squat is giving you trouble right now, so let it go while you sort out that problem. Do your deadlift however many days you can handle. You have goals for the other lifts, so go to war with them. You might throw in some light goblet squats and swings as accessories. Don't switch to Zulu, since Operator is far superior in terms of addressing particular lifts. Keep one sprinting HIC in your weekly mix, but other than that take it pretty easy while you are focusing on strength.

Good luck!

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

What about Operator I/A? That gives you the volume (up to 10 sets I believe) on your problem lifts to help with the plateau busting. And it gives you the extra rest day in between (similar to Fighter) to recover so you're ready for the next push.