Long term programming

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Barkadion

Long term programming

Post by Barkadion »

Do you ever make a plan for the training that covers whole year? It doesn't have to be narrowed down to the every single detail.
Something like what blocks/clusters you will be doing and how you schedule that. Kind of blueprint for the whole year.

Or.. It is a stupid idea?

Yes, I know.. I tend to go OCD about my training but I am thinking of creating something like that for my 2nd year of TB.. Some sort of template can really help.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tyr0331

Re: Long term programming

Post by Tyr0331 »

Barkadion wrote:Do you ever make a plan for the training that covers whole year? It doesn't have to be narrowed down to the every single detail.
Something like what blocks/clusters you will be doing and how you schedule that. Kind of blueprint for the whole year.

Or.. It is a stupid idea?

Yes, I know.. I tend to go OCD about my training but I am thinking of creating something like that for my 2nd year of TB.. Some sort of template can really help.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
In theory I would love to program for the year but reality is my life won't allow for it at the moment. I like to take it one block at a time so I keep the stress of constant burden of fitness down to a minimum

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:In theory I would love to program for the year but reality is my life won't allow for it at the moment. I like to take it one block at a time so I keep the stress of constant burden of fitness down to a minimum
I understand. Life will always correct the original plan. But still.. You can stay main course. That's where plan can help.. IMHO.
And again, that's just my way of coping with training OCD :lol:

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Barkadion wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:In theory I would love to program for the year but reality is my life won't allow for it at the moment. I like to take it one block at a time so I keep the stress of constant burden of fitness down to a minimum
I understand. Life will always correct the original plan. But still.. You can stay main course. That's where plan can help.. IMHO.
We all have it. Just a question of what are your goals? Maintenance for the year or improvement? My goals are usually to stay healthy with no injuries. That being said I listen to my body when it comes to programming. I usually need a change for one reason or another every few months

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I typically program blocks around specific goals, e.g. GORUCK events. I will plan up to that one, then during that block look towards the next one. My goal is between event preps to build strength and maintain endurance, for event prep to build up strength endurance and endurance while maintaining strength. I try to keep it simple.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I typically program blocks around specific goals, e.g. GORUCK events. I will plan up to that one, then during that block look towards the next one. My goal is between event preps to build strength and maintain endurance, for event prep to build up strength endurance and endurance while maintaining strength. I try to keep it simple.
Thanks. Makes sense.

So, I'm getting "Nay" so far :D

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
We all have it. Just a question of what are your goals? Maintenance for the year or improvement? My goals are usually to stay healthy with no injuries. That being said I listen to my body when it comes to programming. I usually need a change for one reason or another every few months
I see.. thanks.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Barkadion wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:I typically program blocks around specific goals, e.g. GORUCK events. I will plan up to that one, then during that block look towards the next one. My goal is between event preps to build strength and maintain endurance, for event prep to build up strength endurance and endurance while maintaining strength. I try to keep it simple.
Thanks. Makes sense.

For my job (changing shift cycles, changing vacation periods, team PT) having a set-in-stone year long plan just won't work. That's one reason I like TB, small blocks make it more flexible and easy to program around my occupation, another "tactical" plus.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I do think about long term programming, but I rarely do it. The primary reason is that during a cycle, I will notice areas that I need to work on and so I will adjust my next cycle accordingly.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Nomad wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Thanks. Makes sense.

For my job (changing shift cycles, changing vacation periods, team PT) having a set-in-stone year long plan just won't work. That's one reason I like TB, small blocks make it more flexible and easy to program around my occupation, another "tactical" plus.
Thanks.