Squat technique

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Jefferson

Squat technique

Post by Jefferson »

OK so who is squatting toes forward, hip crease below the knee?

I used to squat in a powerlifting, wide stance, toes pointed out like a duck style. But after reading in TB that you should be able to go for a run after squatting I realized this was a bad position for athletic transferability.

Fast forward to only squatting toes forward, hip crease below knee, with a medium stance.... my right hip impingement is nearly gone, my left ankle dorsiflexion is closing in on 100 percent range of motion (previous drop foot injury), and my huarache running feels very strong (15-20mi a week).

Using weights to improve posture, position, and point out weak areas, instead of just trying to PR and ego boost has been a game changer for me.

Update: I should have mentioned that I only squat in Olympic lifting shoes with a slightly elevated heal. I wish I bought these things a decade ago.
Last edited by Jefferson on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Re: Squat technique

Post by Barkadion »

I use SSB. I do narrow stance, toes forward, aiming for ATG. I've screwed up my left hip years ago by doing low bar-wide stance-toes out dance. So, my SSB drill is the only way I can enjoy the squatting now.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

This is timely, as I've been trying to correct my overall duckfooted-ness in every day life, and realizing I probably need to work on it in my squat as well. How did you guys make the switch? Gradually bringing the toes in, or all at once? Any articles or videos on the subject you'd recommend?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

NathanC77 wrote:This is timely, as I've been trying to correct my overall duckfooted-ness in every day life, and realizing I probably need to work on it in my squat as well. How did you guys make the switch? Gradually bringing the toes in, or all at once? Any articles or videos on the subject you'd recommend?
I remember liking these ones at the time..

https://www.t-nation.com/training/7-squ ... mas-solved

http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/p ... ht-for-you
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

NathanC77 wrote:This is timely, as I've been trying to correct my overall duckfooted-ness in every day life, and realizing I probably need to work on it in my squat as well. How did you guys make the switch? Gradually bringing the toes in, or all at once? Any articles or videos on the subject you'd recommend?
I started spending time in a full ass to ankle squat without weight. At first I could hardly do it and would hold onto something to dig in. Then I pretty much brought toes all the way in to a good position and reduced weight on the bar to 135 and worked on technique and slowed increased.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

The 'best" technique is the one that works for you. The second article that Bark linked to above (from Greg Nuckols) goes into great detail about how the optimum squat technique depends a lot on body type (long femurs, short femurs, tibias, torso length, etc.) Rippetoe pays a lot of attention to this as well in the Starting Strength book.

For example, I have very short femurs. Rippetoe says in SS that this means it might be best for me to take a more narrow stance. It's a little scary to do that for stability purposes, but I've been tweaking my squat stance for a couple of years now and I've settled on a very narrow stance, my heels are maybe 8-10" apart, with duck feet (maybe 30 degrees) and throwing the knees out over the feet. It works for me.

My lifting partner has funny knees, so he goes with a wider stance and straight feet. It works for him.

My only concern, and I'm not sure what you're doing with your knees, is that a combination of straight feet and throwing the knees out seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Way too much torque on the knees and ankles. But I am not sure if you are doing that from your description.

RugbyGuy

Post by RugbyGuy »

If you are going with your feet straight forward, I would just add that you really need to fight to keep your knees from collapsing inward during your heavy sets.

Personally, I squat with a shoulder distance stance and turn my feet out a bit (toes generally pointing to the far corners of the power rack). When I drop down for th squat, I break at the knee and hip simultaneously (even though I am in a low bar position), because it keeps me more upright. As I go down, and especially as I get ready to reverse back up, I am driving my knees outward, partly to give my ass space to come down, partly to keep my knees from collapsing inward and risk tearing some important stuff in your knee.

For deadlifts, I set up a lot closer stance and feet almost straight ahead.
"If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you." - Muhammad Ali

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Weird, but I actually looked at my foot position on squats this morning in the gym.

My heels were maybe 6" apart. (From inside heel to inside heel.)

kirkor

Post by kirkor »

RugbyGuy wrote:If you are going with your feet straight forward, I would just add that you really need to fight to keep your knees from collapsing inward during your heavy sets.
Yep, for this reason I too have my toes pointed slightly outboard. And as I travel up from the hole one of the cues I always remind myself of is "knees out, knees out!"

ryan28michael

Post by ryan28michael »

https://youtu.be/5I0ROdD3Rno

Good link on Squat Technique