First fun run in the books. Highly recommended.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
mikhou

First fun run in the books. Highly recommended.

Post by mikhou »

So I did my first fun run today. I had asked for fun run ideas in another thread, but I wanted to post this separately to be able to say that I really enjoyed this workout and would recommend the fun run as a staple in your conditioning. Below is what I posted in my log:
Fun Run - So this was my first time doing a fun run and it went great! I went for an hour and every six minutes I stopped and performed the following clusters rotating between each cluster every six minutes:

A - 20 air squats, 20 push-ups
B - 10 pull-ups, 20 sit-ups

This was easily my favorite E session that I have done in a long time. Not to mention that I felt extremely fresh throughout. I attribute this to 3 things. 1) I just finished BB so my aerobic capacity is pretty good right now. 2) It's been 2 weeks since my last E run so even though I have started this Zulu cycle, my legs feel well recovered. 3) Stopping to do the bodyweight exercises provides a bit of a mental break as opposed to putting in an hour of steady-state running. I'll definitely keep a fun run in the rotation every couple of weeks.

Nick

Re: First fun run in the books. Highly recommended.

Post by Nick »

Did you run this on a treadmill? I see you have pull-ups in there, suggesting you were running on a track or in a gym.

If you were running outside, did you set your watch to beep, or did you just look at your watch?

Thanks
The wind calls your name; get out of your bed.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:So I did my first fun run today. I had asked for fun run ideas in another thread, but I wanted to post this separately to be able to say that I really enjoyed this workout and would recommend the fun run as a staple in your conditioning. Below is what I posted in my log:
Fun Run - So this was my first time doing a fun run and it went great! I went for an hour and every six minutes I stopped and performed the following clusters rotating between each cluster every six minutes:

A - 20 air squats, 20 push-ups
B - 10 pull-ups, 20 sit-ups

This was easily my favorite E session that I have done in a long time. Not to mention that I felt extremely fresh throughout. I attribute this to 3 things. 1) I just finished BB so my aerobic capacity is pretty good right now. 2) It's been 2 weeks since my last E run so even though I have started this Zulu cycle, my legs feel well recovered. 3) Stopping to do the bodyweight exercises provides a bit of a mental break as opposed to putting in an hour of steady-state running. I'll definitely keep a fun run in the rotation every couple of weeks.
Great scheme. I do something similar running between a couple play grounds doing pull-ups, dips, and sit-ups. I also recently did a Fobbit alternating between KB swings and pull-ups. At some point the line between a fun run and a Fobbit gets very fine.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Nick wrote:Did you run this on a treadmill? I see you have pull-ups in there, suggesting you were running on a track or in a gym.

If you were running outside, did you set your watch to beep, or did you just look at your watch?

Thanks
Nick, I cannot state how much I dislike treadmills. :D I ran this outside, but because of where I live, I have to run in a contained area, and I have a pull-up bar in that area so it was no problem. As to timing of it, I use the Gymboss app on my iPhone to setup my time-based workouts. It beeps every six minutes and then tells me when my hour is complete.

mikhou

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:At some point the line between a fun run and a Fobbit gets very fine.
Yeah, I agree. It sounds to me like the difference is pace and distance. From what I have read in TB1,2,AA, Fobbits are supposed to be intentionally slow and up to about 30 minutes. While Fun Runs can be at an accelerated pace (after BB), and can go as long as you want them to. I personally don't know if I can speak into how the purposes for each are distinct from each other or even if KB would say that they should be distinct. I ran my Fun Run at a comfortable pace based on feeling (not too slow, not too fast). I enjoyed that workout tremendously!

mikhou