Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
GiGis Daddy

Re: Paralysis by Analysis (AKA, what should I do?)

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Dude, that was an excellent rant, and I resemble a lot of those remarks. Thanks for getting my head from my arse.

KB, sticky that bad boy where we can always refer back to it!!

Block20GoesBoom

Post by Block20GoesBoom »

I think TB just clicked for me. I was lifting for about 6 months pretty frequently so I got a lot of my noob gains out of the way. My conditioning had suffered a lot though as it has always been my weakest point. After reading both books it all kind of made sense for me. I felt like all the info the was given in TB should just be common sense. I've just started continuation but I can't wait to see progress.

I think the biggest part of TB that stuck with me was how KB emphasizes that this program isn't just for a little while, it's training for the rest of your life.

I see what you mean about people on /r/tacticalbarbell though. A lot of people ask questions that are straight out of the book or should just be common sense. TB can have so much adaptability that is written into the book that some don't grasp right away.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

GiGis Daddy wrote:Dude, that was an excellent rant, and I resemble a lot of those remarks. Thanks for getting my head from my arse.
I think the best attitude you can have is to chill and work TB around your life. It doesn't have to consume your life or be something you always have ot think about.
Barkadion wrote:Interesting. BMB, may I ask what type of programming you are implementing now? Sorry for a personal question but I got the feeling that your post is personal. Feel free to ignore my question :)
The post isn't so much personal, as it is a feeling that people haven't actually taken the effort to understand TB. If you look at the points I raised, only so very few are points which we've come to understand by being on the forums. 90% of the stuff are things which are already in the book.

Granted, the book doesn't explicitly spell every letter out, but the information is there.

I get it that there are people who want plug & play, and that is what TB is. As it has been mentioned before, either follow the program or don't. TB as it is laid out is neither hard nor complicated. Yet the sub-reddit is filled with questions that are basic.

My program currently is simple:
Fighter - 2nd ed
- Snatch / Clean & press / Snatch or clean pulls - (6 X 3)
- Back squat (3 X 5)
- Overhead press (4 X 5) <<dips if I did a C&J or C&P>>
- Pull-ups (Fighter pull-up)

Conditioning
2 days - lactic power & lactic capacity (with figher pull-up for a finisher)
1 day - LSS

I've been reading Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning and am making adjustments to TBII based on the principles in UMC.

I've transitioned off Operator because I found that I actually feel significantly better working 2 days a week over 3 days. When I was on 3 days, I had nagging issues like waking up in the middle of the night, constant muscle aches here and there, my body composition would fluctuate up and down a little based on my workout volume vs intensity vs diet. These didn't really break the bank, but were small things I learnt to live with.

I saw massive gains in my mass and strength on Operator, but I'm happy with slower gains, and not having to deal with these small little issues.

Using the old Fighter template really eased my recovery a lot more, frees up one more day for the wife & family, and just fits weightlifting a lot more for me. If I have a free day, I'll head into the gym and do a bit of fuckingaroundtits. I've done one so far for SQ/DL/OHP/PU, but just at 2 sets, and then mucked around with practicing the dragon flag and curling a barbell in the squat rack (GASP! THE HORROR!!! Chill, the gym was empty at noon on a weekend). I just found this a lot more enjoyable, and it gives me the flexibility to be on Fighter, but have 1 more day if I wanted to lift something.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:The post isn't so much personal, as it is a feeling that people haven't actually taken the effort to understand TB. If you look at the points I raised, only so very few are points which we've come to understand by being on the forums. 90% of the stuff are things which are already in the book.

Granted, the book doesn't explicitly spell every letter out, but the information is there.

I get it that there are people who want plug & play, and that is what TB is. As it has been mentioned before, either follow the program or don't. TB as it is laid out is neither hard nor complicated. Yet the sub-reddit is filled with questions that are basic.
I think that this is the biggest issue. It seems that a lot of people on the sub-reddit want the program spoon fed to them because they haven't read the books. I personally don't want to give away the book on the forums out of respect to KB and JM.

Blackmetalbunny

Block20GoesBoom wrote:I felt like all the info the was given in TB should just be common sense.
I know what you mean. It was after I was on TB for a whole cycle did everything just click for me.
Block20GoesBoom wrote:I think the biggest part of TB that stuck with me was how KB emphasizes that this program isn't just for a little while, it's training for the rest of your life.
That's the problem, you have people on the subreddit that are stressing about silly little things. I get it though, when I started, I had questions which might have been annoying to answer, but when I re-read both books and finished my cycle, then things started to fall into place. Then, BP vs OHP, or running for 35 minutes vs 40 minutes, or missing 1 day / week all seemed so insignificant.
Block20GoesBoom wrote:I see what you mean about people on /r/tacticalbarbell though. A lot of people ask questions that are straight out of the book or should just be common sense.
I can't tell you how many times I've done PALM --> FOREHEAD

Blackmetalbunny

mikhou wrote:I think that this is the biggest issue. It seems that a lot of people on the sub-reddit want the program spoon fed to them because they haven't read the books. I personally don't want to give away the book on the forums out of respect to KB and JM.
I used to help, and overtime I got to thinking... isn't this covered in the book just after so and so chapter?

While I'm happy to answer questions from a prospective new entrant, spoon feeding a program makes participation in the community seem like we're trainers in a chrome & fern gym.

triple

Post by triple »

In case we would want to use this as a general faq to show to newbies, I have a few suggestions

1) get KB his feedback and approval maybe? :)

2) I would remove the rant component (the first few paragraphs) as it is kind of intimidating and confusing for a newbie
(Alternatively extract the questions and answers for a new post containing the faq)

3) I would include an introduction containing
Really figure out what your goals are
and then
either
1. Follow the program to the T
or
2. Understand the concept & and the principles before you make changes.

Side note: The answers given in this faq seem to be strength training specific. The answer to the question "is tactical barbell for a newbie" should depend on their goals, no? If max strength is not really a priority (maybe they want to run green protocol), maxing out with linear progression is probably not the best starting point.

thebadmattan

Post by thebadmattan »

triple wrote: 2) I would remove the rant component (the first few paragraphs) as it is kind of intimidating and confusing for a newbie
(Alternatively extract the questions and answers for a new post containing the faq)
I second this. If this were to be a sticky for new forum users to read, make it welcoming/respectful.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:The post isn't so much personal, as it is a feeling that people haven't actually taken the effort to understand TB. If you look at the points I raised, only so very few are points which we've come to understand by being on the forums. 90% of the stuff are things which are already in the book.

My program currently is simple:
Fighter - 2nd ed
- Snatch / Clean & press / Snatch or clean pulls - (6 X 3)
- Back squat (3 X 5)
- Overhead press (4 X 5) <<dips if I did a C&J or C&P>>
- Pull-ups (Fighter pull-up)

Conditioning
2 days - lactic power & lactic capacity (with figher pull-up for a finisher)
1 day - LSS

I've been reading Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning and am making adjustments to TBII based on the principles in UMC.

I've transitioned off Operator because I found that I actually feel significantly better working 2 days a week over 3 days. When I was on 3 days, I had nagging issues like waking up in the middle of the night, constant muscle aches here and there, my body composition would fluctuate up and down a little based on my workout volume vs intensity vs diet. These didn't really break the bank, but were small things I learnt to live with.

I saw massive gains in my mass and strength on Operator, but I'm happy with slower gains, and not having to deal with these small little issues.

Using the old Fighter template really eased my recovery a lot more, frees up one more day for the wife & family, and just fits weightlifting a lot more for me. If I have a free day, I'll head into the gym and do a bit of fuckingaroundtits. I've done one so far for SQ/DL/OHP/PU, but just at 2 sets, and then mucked around with practicing the dragon flag and curling a barbell in the squat rack (GASP! THE HORROR!!! Chill, the gym was empty at noon on a weekend). I just found this a lot more enjoyable, and it gives me the flexibility to be on Fighter, but have 1 more day if I wanted to lift something.
Thank you for answering personal question, BMB.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

BMB, excellent post. Couple points:

Is Tactical barbell for a newbie?
TB is not for you yet, start with something that uses a linear progression.

I almost always recommend LP for novice recreational athletes. However that's not the case for newbies getting into an operational line of work. Particularly recruits that are preparing for academy/boot/basic. These novices have to get good in several areas simultaneously as you know - and usually the highest priority domain is E/running. This is the domain that almost always needs the most work. Coming to academy/boot/basic with a mediocre 1rm isn't going to make or break - but come in with weak E/HIC and life is going to suck. Careers may depend on it. In this case it's more efficient having the newb lift TB style; sub-maximal/minimalist while simultaneously acclimatizing to high volume E/running/SE.

TB keeps the legs fresh so the weekly E volume can remain as high as it needs to be. Remember - the tactical newb has to regenerate from running and lifting and SE.

1RM strength does play an indirect role during boot/academy - so we certainly don't want to neglect it. Again,TB is more efficient than the alternatives;

1. High volume running coupled with LP that has you lifting 3xweek with load increases every single session. You certainly can grit your teeth and run LP alongside heavy conditioning (many do). But why would you when 1rm strength isn't at the top of your list at this stage of the game? After academy/basic/boot - go back to LP if it's still needed or soup up your TB template/cluster.

2. Not doing any strength training at all. Focusing only on SE/Cals/E.

If you're a tactical athlete, or even seek to train like one. It matters more that you are strong. Whether you are deadlifting an Abrams tank strong, or deadlifting an Abrams tank with someone's boots on top strong is irrelevant. If you can deadlift that Abrams tank, then strong enough is good enough.

Brilliant.

Understand that we're testing our 1RM for the express purposes of determining the working weight for the block. We're not testing our 1RM as an end-goal.

This is the mindset the true operational athlete needs to adopt. On the other hand if you're a strength-focused/recreational TB user then by all means a high 1RM can be a goal unto itself.

Do I need BB?
Yes, if your conditioning is bad, you’ll need more condition. In fact, almost everyone needs conditioning. Do BB. Better conditioning will improve everything in your life.

BB is optional for the recreational athlete. It is mandatory for operational athletes.

Is TB the same as powerlifting
No. Powerlifting focuses on getting 1RM bench press, squat and deadlifts as the end goal. KB chose the major compound lifts as the poster lifts and the fastest way to get inhuman levels of strength, and for the benefits they provide. We aim to lift heavy, but neither 1RM nor these 3 lifts are our end game.
Also powerlifting is a strength based program to focuses on monster levels of 1RM in the big 3 lifts
BIG 3 = End goal

Well put, can't be stressed enough - this is how we view strength as it applies to operational fitness. We don't give it lip service or train it in a random fashion. We measure it and progress it in a calculated manner. But it has to share the pedestal with other fitness domains.