Some questions regarding Operator template and clarification on adding/dropping exercises

MxS/SE/HIC/E
JigglyPuffDaddy

Some questions regarding Operator template and clarification on adding/dropping exercises

Post by JigglyPuffDaddy »

So I have decided to go with the Operator template due to the fact that it allows me to use submaximal percentages for 3 main lifts frequently in the week. I have to do a bit more reading from the book, but I have a couple of questions that I would like to get some knowledge on in case I miss these points in the book.

1) With the submaximal loading how often do you 'test' your maxes to find your new percentages?
2) I understand that the lifting days are only supposed to include the 3 main lifts, but could I add some other exercises in to make each lifting day a full body program?
3) On the first exercise of each lifting day I want to set the rep ranges at 4X6-8 for maximal strength+size gains. Is it recommended to set the rest of the rep ranges for the exercises the same or should I drop them to 3/4setsX8-10reps?

Aelian

Re: Some questions regarding Operator template and clarification on adding/dropping exercises

Post by Aelian »

1&2 are covered in the book. Read it completely. Don't ask us to do that for you.

3. Increase your volume by increasing number of sets instead of reps. You can go all the way up to 10 if you really have to.

Tyr0331

Re: Some questions regarding Operator template and clarification on adding/dropping exercises

Post by Tyr0331 »

Tyr0331 wrote:
JigglyPuffDaddy wrote:
So I have decided to go with the Operator template due to the fact that it allows me to use submaximal percentages for 3 main lifts frequently in the week. I have to do a bit more reading from the book, but I have a couple of questions that I would like to get some knowledge on in case I miss these points in the book.

1) With the submaximal loading how often do you 'test' your maxes to find your new percentages?
2) I understand that the lifting days are only supposed to include the 3 main lifts, but could I add some other exercises in to make each lifting day a full body program?
3) On the first exercise of each lifting day I want to set the rep ranges at 4X6-8 for maximal strength+size gains. Is it recommended to set the rest of the rep ranges for the exercises the same or should I drop them to 3/4setsX8-10reps?

1. After the initial max testing, I wouldn't retest any more frequently than 12 weeks, or two blocks. Only reason I will retest is if I am changing up my cluster of lifts or I feel that the load has gotten to light/heavy and I need a more accurate set of maxes

2. Kind of confused on this one. One of the example clusters in the book is back squat, weighted pull ups, press, deadlifts. Can't get more full body than that. If you have it in you to do some kind of finisher(explained in the book) than go for it as long as it doesn't interfere with your efforts on your main cluster of lifts

3. Im a firm believer in not doing more than five reps per set for your main cluster barbell lifts. Max strength without unnecessary size. Not hypertrophy. This is important in the tactical line of work, as most tac athletes need to be jack of all trades in one way or another, when it comes to fitness. Only time I will use more than five reps per set is with my kb programming which I use for SC
Last edited by Tyr0331 on Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

JigglyPuffDaddy wrote: 3) On the first exercise of each lifting day I want to set the rep ranges at 4X6-8 for maximal strength+size gains. Is it recommended to set the rest of the rep ranges for the exercises the same or should I drop them to 3/4setsX8-10reps?
You can do this if you want, but it won't be Tactical Barbell.

You should look for another program that is more relevant to your goals.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I gotta agree with Aelian. Your questions are all answered in the books. My guess is (and I could be wrong) that you haven't read them yet. The Kindle versions are $8 each for TB1 and TB2 and Ageless Athlete (AA) is $10. My suggestion would be to start by reading both TB1&2 (a $16 investment). TB2 covers an 8-week Base Building phase which is where you should probably start. Then go into a Continuation protocol, which would include Operator.

3 other things: 1) TB is a strength and conditioning system. Each system (TB1-strength and TB2-conditioning) works well independently, but they work incredibly well together. This system has been put together in a very comprehensive and understandable way. This is the reason that I am guessing that you haven't read the books. KB's writing style is easily understandable and doesn't contain any fluff. You'll enjoy it. 2) TB is a strength and conditioning system for the tactical, multi-functional athlete. It's not aimed at hypertrophy or "getting a beach body." Although with improved strength and conditioning, body composition certainly will improve as well. TB is aimed at the well-rounded athlete. If those are your goals then you are in the right place. If your goals differ, perhaps another program would suit you better and motivate you better (and often motivation is what sustains commitment to a program). 3) TB1&2 will get you started, and I would also recommend AA for practical suggestions in how to put your programming into place. AA is not absolutely necessary, but it's a very practical read by one of our own forum members that offers implementation suggestions that can be helpful to a variety of people.

mikhou