Keep focusing on E or add HIC?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Equafi

Keep focusing on E or add HIC?

Post by Equafi »

My first goal is to get down to a 24 minute 5k.

I finished base building and have been doing continuation for a bit now using green protocol for about two months. My fastest 5k so far was just under 30 minutes which is terrible, I know most guys are running much quicker than that immediately following a base build, which is kind of frustrating.

With that said, I have seen progress. My endurance runs started at about 14 minute pace and are now down to a 11:30-12 minute pace staying around 140 - 160 bpm. My resting heart rate has dropped to 44 - 50 BPM. I really want to bring the pace down even further though.

Do I need to add HIC to green? I'm running 20 mpw, on my way to 30mpw.

Should I focus on SE for a block as well? I come from a powerlifting background with no running so I'm happy with my strength so far, but the progress in the cardio department is slow going and I was thinking the SE might help get more adaptations for endurance.

WallBilly

Re: Keep focusing on E or add HIC?

Post by WallBilly »

This has been discussed in several threads before but I can't find the threads right now.

To go fast for 5k, it really helps in training to go both

1. A lot farther than 5k but much slower than race pace.
2. A lot faster than race pace but much shorter than 5k.

If you're putting in 20 miles a week but it is all LSS, you're not going to improve as fast as you could. Ditto for 30 MPW.

Take one or two of your running days and do some #2 from the list above.

Do 600 meter resets, or traditional intervals at a track. 100 m, 200 m, 400 m, 800 m, a few sets of each. Go balls-out.

You could add a "tempo" run at about race pace, which it sounds like you are doing, but you need to go faster for the shorter distances to get the times down.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Equafi wrote:My fastest 5k so far was just under 30 minutes which is terrible, I know most guys are running much quicker than that immediately following a base build, which is kind of frustrating.

Don't fret about this. First, remember that "most guys" is probably just "most guys WHO POST". We don't really know how most people do. For all you know, you might do better than most. Second, you can only begin where you are now. You're coming from a powerlifting background, so aerobic endurance isn't your thing. Just worry about how much you are improving, not how you compare to other people (who may be coming from very different backgrounds, have different body types, etc.).

Congrats on finishing base building and taking the first steps all-around fitness. You will get to the marks you want with patience.

With that said, I have seen progress. My endurance runs started at about 14 minute pace and are now down to a 11:30-12 minute pace staying around 140 - 160 bpm. My resting heart rate has dropped to 44 - 50 BPM. I really want to bring the pace down even further though.

Definitely add HIC, but use stuff that will carry over to your 5K (assuming that's your immediate goal). Fast 5, Speed Endurance Ladders, 600m Resets, and hills of all varieties are my preferences.

Should I focus on SE for a block as well? I come from a powerlifting background with no running so I'm happy with my strength so far, but the progress in the cardio department is slow going and I was thinking the SE might help get more adaptations for endurance.

I have no idea whether this carries over to your running, but I think SE circuits (especially a hard Tango) do help burn the butter a bit. If you think your weight/body comp are hindrances to your running, you might bear that in mind. You could, however, get teh same effect from some well chosen general conditioning drills

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Equafi wrote: With that said, I have seen progress. My endurance runs started at about 14 minute pace and are now down to a 11:30-12 minute pace staying around 140 - 160 bpm. My resting heart rate has dropped to 44 - 50 BPM. I really want to bring the pace down even further though.
That's excellent progress. When the aerobic system or aerobic events become the priority, about 80% of your miles or running sessions should be long & easy (LSS). The remaining 20% can be dedicated to HIC. Anything over 2-3 minutes (like the 5k) is primarily aerobic.

Based on that I'd suggest making sure you get in at least 2 LSS runs per week along with one Fast5 tempo run.

Equafi

Post by Equafi »

WallBilly wrote:This has been discussed in several threads before but I can't find the threads right now.

To go fast for 5k, it really helps in training to go both

1. A lot farther than 5k but much slower than race pace.
2. A lot faster than race pace but much shorter than 5k.

If you're putting in 20 miles a week but it is all LSS, you're not going to improve as fast as you could. Ditto for 30 MPW.

Take one or two of your running days and do some #2 from the list above.

Do 600 meter resets, or traditional intervals at a track. 100 m, 200 m, 400 m, 800 m, a few sets of each. Go balls-out.

You could add a "tempo" run at about race pace, which it sounds like you are doing, but you need to go faster for the shorter distances to get the times down.
Thanks for this, I figured I needed some type of speed workout to be optimal so I'll throw in some intervals to start for this week and see how those go.

J-Madd wrote:
Equafi wrote:My fastest 5k so far was just under 30 minutes which is terrible, I know most guys are running much quicker than that immediately following a base build, which is kind of frustrating.

Don't fret about this. First, remember that "most guys" is probably just "most guys WHO POST". We don't really know how most people do. For all you know, you might do better than most. Second, you can only begin where you are now. You're coming from a powerlifting background, so aerobic endurance isn't your thing. Just worry about how much you are improving, not how you compare to other people (who may be coming from very different backgrounds, have different body types, etc.).

Congrats on finishing base building and taking the first steps all-around fitness. You will get to the marks you want with patience.

Definitely add HIC, but use stuff that will carry over to your 5K (assuming that's your immediate goal). Fast 5, Speed Endurance Ladders, 600m Resets, and hills of all varieties are my preferences.

I have no idea whether this carries over to your running, but I think SE circuits (especially a hard Tango) do help burn the butter a bit. If you think your weight/body comp are hindrances to your running, you might bear that in mind. You could, however, get teh same effect from some well chosen general conditioning drills
Thank you. I really did start off in bad shape when it comes to anything aerobic. Must've been all those hard stimulants and 5 - 10 minute rest breaks. It's definitely been a 180 for me. :shock:

So speed it is. And you know what, I skimmed over the Tango SE section at first but looking at it now, it sounds fun and painful, definitely want to try it out.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Add in some speed but don't neglect your LSS. The 5k is mostly aerobic as others have pointed out. Aerobic training should make up the bulk of your conditioning sessions with about a third of it dedicated to tempo work in the form of Fast 5, hills, track workouts.

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

BlackPyjamas wrote:Add in some speed but don't neglect your LSS. The 5k is mostly aerobic as others have pointed out. Aerobic training should make up the bulk of your conditioning sessions with about a third of it dedicated to tempo work in the form of Fast 5, hills, track workouts.
Agree for sure. And I'd recommend that one of the LSS workouts each week should be at least 8k and better 10k, when training for a 5k race.