Why is OP I/A different in TB1 & TB2?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

Why is OP I/A different in TB1 & TB2?

Post by cws1992 »

Just as the title says. I'm confused on why the format is different. Which one is considered the more optimal or popular format? Will be running this along with Black Professional conditioning

TB1
Workout 1-9 for all 6 weeks 3-10 sets ranging from 75% to 90% for workouts

TB 2
Week 1/4) 70%, 4-10x5
Week 2/5) 80-85%, 3-5x3-5, 2-5x3-5, 1-2x3-5
Week 3/6) 90-95%, 3-4x2-3, 3-4x2-3, 3-4x1-2

Maxrip13

Re: Why is OP I/A different in TB1 & TB2?

Post by Maxrip13 »

I thought OP I/A was only in TB 3? I guessed I missed it earlier.

The answer is do whatever you can recover from while hitting your conditioning goals.

I don't like to go over 5 sets and will generally only do 3-4. I do this because most of my lifts sit around a high percentage of my bodyweight and I don't eat or sleep well. Basically my recovery sucks and I prefer the "minimum effective dose".

If you are focusing on improving a specific lift a couple extra sets will do you good, otherwise if you are already progressing then enjoy the lower volume. If you have good recovery and want some more work then up the volume.

In the past I have done as many as 20 sets of an exercise and had great results, but there was no way I was doing any high volume conditioning after.

Hopefully that vaguely helps, but I am sure someone will come along with something in relation to the exact templates if that is what you prefer.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

Yes you are right it is the 3rd edition. I was thinking TB 1 was the strength book and TB 2 was the conditioning portion.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

The Op I/A shown in TB2 was superceded by the Op I/A shown in TB1, 3rd edition. The one in TB2 allowed for a larger cluster but less frequency, and KB felt that Op was more suited to higher frequency but the I/A version allowed for more flexibility. I have actually been running Op I/A from TB2 for the last 4 weeks just to be able to play with a larger cluster. I kind of see it as Fighter plus accessories. Having said that, I think that you will make faster strength gains with Op I/A from TB1, 3rd edition, but you would need to use a limited cluster (3 exercises).

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:The Op I/A shown in TB2 was superceded by the Op I/A shown in TB1, 3rd edition. The one in TB2 allowed for a larger cluster but less frequency, and KB felt that Op was more suited to higher frequency but the I/A version allowed for more flexibility. I have actually been running Op I/A from TB2 for the last 4 weeks just to be able to play with a larger cluster. I kind of see it as Fighter plus accessories. Having said that, I think that you will make faster strength gains with Op I/A from TB1, 3rd edition, but you would need to use a limited cluster (3 exercises).
What is interesting that the latest article about OP options is basically Op I/A/TB2 resurrection..
http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/operator-options/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Barkadion wrote:
mikhou wrote:The Op I/A shown in TB2 was superceded by the Op I/A shown in TB1, 3rd edition. The one in TB2 allowed for a larger cluster but less frequency, and KB felt that Op was more suited to higher frequency but the I/A version allowed for more flexibility. I have actually been running Op I/A from TB2 for the last 4 weeks just to be able to play with a larger cluster. I kind of see it as Fighter plus accessories. Having said that, I think that you will make faster strength gains with Op I/A from TB1, 3rd edition, but you would need to use a limited cluster (3 exercises).
What is interesting that the latest article about OP options is basically Op I/A/TB2 resurrection..
One thing that I didn't clarify earlier is that I did not say that I don't like Op I/A, TB2. I have enjoyed this last run with it and using a larger cluster and for "kicks and grins" this next 4 weeks, I am going to reverse the exercise cluster and run it again. So this past 4 weeks were the following weekly:

A - BP/WCU/SQ
B - OHP/Barbell rows/DL
A - BP/WCU/SQ

This next 4 weeks will be the following weekly:

A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ
B - BP/WCU/DL
A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ

Again, just kicking the tires on it to see how it goes. Remember that this is not only about getting stronger, but having fun as well. For me also at 43 yo, it's about managing load. I love the high frequency of Operator and Op I/A, 3rd Ed., but I and my body are enjoying a wider cluster right now than can be run on standard Op.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

The first version (in TB2) is more like a traditional lifting program. Bigger cluster, but less frequency. The 2nd version goes back to Op roots of high lift frequency while sacrificing variety. It also gives you that optional extra rest day, along with the choice to go up as high as 10 sets per lift. The combination of having the option to go high volume and have extra rest if needed is simply awesome and opens up a lot of programming possibilities.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

mikhou wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
One thing that I didn't clarify earlier is that I did not say that I don't like Op I/A, TB2. I have enjoyed this last run with it and using a larger cluster and for "kicks and grins" this next 4 weeks, I am going to reverse the exercise cluster and run it again. So this past 4 weeks were the following weekly:

A - BP/WCU/SQ
B - OHP/Barbell rows/DL
A - BP/WCU/SQ

A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ
B - BP/WCU/DL
A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ

Again, just kicking the tires on it to see how it goes. Remember that this is not only about getting stronger, but having fun as well. For me also at 43 yo, it's about managing load. I love the high frequency of Operator and Op I/A, 3rd Ed., but I and my body are enjoying a wider cluster right now than can be run on standard Op.
Is that how operator 2nd edition can be done as far as size of cluster? And are the percentages similar? Just lower frequency?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mikhou wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

A - BP/WCU/SQ
B - OHP/Barbell rows/DL
A - BP/WCU/SQ

A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ
B - BP/WCU/DL
A - OHP/Barbell rows/SQ

I like that! And I will be considering this for sure!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky