Results from SE Alpha

MxS/SE/HIC/E
grouchyjarhead

Results from SE Alpha

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I thought you all would be interested to see how quickly you can progress strength-endurance wise using the SE protocols from TB, specifically Alpha.

On May 1st, I took a mock U.S. Army Physical Fitness Test (2 min max push-ups, 2 min max sit-ups, 2 mile run) beginning my latest block of TB. I scored the following: 60 push-ups, 48 sit-ups, and 16:24. The sit-ups will probably always be low as I can't train the movement much due to a herniated L5:S1, but I knew the others had plenty of improvement.

During the past two months, doing calisthenics with a 30# weighted ruck was most of my SE Alpha training during this period. The first time I did the full 3x30, I could not complete anything straight without resting. The second go around, I was only able to do two unbroken sets. The third time through (I was almost at an event so I skipped the 3x10 week and repeated 3x20 and 3x30) I smoked everything. I did no direct ab work during my SE training, I mostly did static work and some lighter high rep stuff when I was able. I typically did my SE sessions twice a week, though there were a few weeks where I was only able to get in one and often had to compensate in other ways (e.g. "Cannonball Run").

Now to the results. At my latest GORUCK (July 1st), during the beginning PT I was timed on both 2 minutes of max push-ups and 2 minutes of max sit-ups, but in both cases I had to use my ruck instead of just bodyweight like I did on May 1st. With a ruck close to 30#, I managed to do 88 push-ups and 65 sit-ups. I maxed my push-up score and added 20 points to my sit-up score in just eight weeks. Pretty good investment of time I'd say.

Barkadion

Re: Results from SE Alpha

Post by Barkadion »

I am doing "Alpha" now and I am loving it so far :D It is also nice way of finishing intense block. BB with strength focus in my case. It gives you safe feeling of completion..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Out-f&8n-standing! You went from 60 bodyweight push-ups to 88 weighted push-ups (30lbs) in two months. Simply outstanding. Interesting to see that you did it with Alpha too.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Great job @Grouchyjarhead! Have you used Bravo SE? If so any pros/cons between the two that you noticed?

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

grouchyjarhead wrote: On May 1st, I took a mock U.S. Army Physical Fitness Test (2 min max push-ups, 2 min max sit-ups, 2 mile run) beginning my latest block of TB. I scored the following: 60 push-ups, 48 sit-ups, and 16:24.

Now to the results. With a ruck close to 30#, I managed to do 88 push-ups and 65 sit-ups. I maxed my push-up score and added 20 points to my sit-up score in just eight weeks. Pretty good investment of time I'd say.
Great job Grouchy! What do you think your weighted-ruck push-up max would've been back in May, or can you estimate from your SE circuits?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

@DocOtagon - Not yet, but this go around I plan on incorporating a block or two of Bravo.

@TangoZero - Tough to say. I know the first time I went through the circuit I couldn't finish the 30 reps without dropping to one knee to catch my breath. For the 88 reps I held the push-up position the whole time and only rested in the up position.

travman

Post by travman »

Grouchy, that's amazing. Nice job.

OldManAsh

Post by OldManAsh »

Outstanding results!