Voting Poll: Your favored Cluster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Stefan Olsson

Voting Poll: Your favored Cluster

Post by Stefan Olsson »

Hey guys!

Im in a dilemma. Well paralysis by analysis rather. I´ve been doing Fighter template for quite a while now, doing SQ/BE/WPU. Last cycle I changed to SQ/OHP/WPU. I really have a hard time to choose. I know this is completely off from what KB says in the book, that the cluster don't cover every muscle or direction and that you will make up for it by being strong as fuck in few exercises and do the rest on your HIC. What cluster would you use if you tried to pack on muscle and look fucking awesome?
I´ve read that in the bench, you scapulae don't work as they are static, but you can move more weight, in the press you get a greater range of motion, but uses less weight.

I train primarily running, trail and hills. So I don't get any other training from my conditioning sessions.

Please vote in the poll below! :)

http://www.strawpoll.me/13440064
If a fight is inevitable, hit first.

StayGrey

Re: Voting Poll: Your favored Cluster

Post by StayGrey »

Stefan Olsson wrote:Hey guys!

Im in a dilemma. Well paralysis by analysis rather. I´ve been doing Fighter template for quite a while now, doing SQ/BE/WPU. Last cycle I changed to SQ/OHP/WPU. I really have a hard time to choose. I know this is completely off from what KB says in the book, that the cluster don't cover every muscle or direction and that you will make up for it by being strong as fuck in few exercises and do the rest on your HIC. What cluster would you use if you tried to pack on muscle and look fucking awesome?
I´ve read that in the bench, you scapulae don't work as they are static, but you can move more weight, in the press you get a greater range of motion, but uses less weight.

I train primarily running, trail and hills. So I don't get any other training from my conditioning sessions.

Please vote in the poll below! :)

http://www.strawpoll.me/13440064
Hi Stefan,

If your goal is to pack on muscle, then the difference between the two clusters is going to be negligible. I'm going to give the advantage to bench press because as we all know most people really can move 1.5 to 2 x as much using BP vs OHP which translates to more muscle and CNS activation.

Rather than focus on the cluster, I'd recommend considering a few other changes instead.

1. Template
Switch from Fighter to Operator, Op I/A, or Zulu, Zulu I/A. Fighter isn't a good choice for size building.....let me rephrase that, it isn't the BEST choice. You can put on a lot of muscle but not as easily as with a higher frequency template. Add Deadlifts to your new template using one of the options, even one work set a week is good.

2. Volume
Rather than worry about cluster, increase the number of sets. Hit 4-5 per ex and you'll be right in that sweet spot.

3. What's your TDEE and are you meeting it? What's your daily protein intake?

Even if you want to stick to Fighter, it doesn't have to be either or. Keep BP in your cluster for 6 weeks, then swap it out for OHP for 3, or some other ratio. If you do stick with Fighter, I'd recommend hitting 5 sets per exercise to get that volume in, which is so important for muscle building.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Yeah I definitely wouldn't ditch OHP for a long period since I believe it to be a better exercise towards overall athleticism due to lacking in support from the bench. OHP is the deadlift of upper body movements I think. In deadlifts it's just you versus the weight, no stretch reflex to bounce back from or anything. Same with the OHP, can't bounce it off your chest.
But since you can move more weight with bench press, it's probably the better choice for muscle growth.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

StayGrey wrote: Even if you want to stick to Fighter, it doesn't have to be either or. Keep BP in your cluster for 6 weeks, then swap it out for OHP for 3, or some other ratio. If you do stick with Fighter, I'd recommend hitting 5 sets per exercise to get that volume in, which is so important for muscle building.

This, if you want to keep using Fighter. Increase the volume (4-5 sets per ex). You can switch between OHP/BP or better yet use the max strength Fobbit for one of your conditioning sessions, so you get to do both:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/fobbits- ... ng-part-i/

Depending on how much work you're able to put in, you might want to consider adding a set or 3 of DLs on one of your Fighter days too.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Just started a new cluster on OP I/A. Only a week in and I really like it.

Back squats
Weighted PU
Hang cleans
Deadlift every three sessions in place of HC

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Tyr that sounds like a good one!