Beginner's Guide To Rucking

MxS/SE/HIC/E
K.B.
Site Admin

Beginner's Guide To Rucking

Post by K.B. »

In case you missed it (Member Articles Forum) - check out Grouchy's new guide to Rucking:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... f=16&t=976

grouchyjarhead

Re: Beginner's Guide To Rucking

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Thanks KB!

travman

Post by travman »

Great article!

You did a really nice job making rucking simple, what you need to get started, weight and distant progressions. Overall, a good solid educational article!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Awesome stuff Grouch. I’ve got a buddy doing Train to Hunt. I’ll definitely be referring him.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

travman wrote:Great article!

You did a really nice job making rucking simple, what you need to get started, weight and distant progressions. Overall, a good solid educational article!
Thanks travman.
Green2Blue wrote:Awesome stuff Grouch. I’ve got a buddy doing Train to Hunt. I’ll definitely be referring him.
I hope it helps him G2B, thank you.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

I've been considering a weighted vest to add to my conditioning. Recently bought a sandbag and love that. Forgive my ignorance but what benefits can rucking help me with? For reference I'm a firefighter and I'm always looking for ways to improve my conditioning related to my job.

Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

As a substitute for a ruck sack, what do you think of a backpack with a weight plate in it?

Would this be OK for a Day 6 in base?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

cws1992 wrote:I've been considering a weighted vest to add to my conditioning. Recently bought a sandbag and love that. Forgive my ignorance but what benefits can rucking help me with? For reference I'm a firefighter and I'm always looking for ways to improve my conditioning related to my job.
I'm not a firefighter, but I would say getting used to moving under load for a long period of time would be a good thing considering all the gear you wear. I do know Chris Adams recommends it for firefighters in his "Training To Be A Firefighter" series here on the TB website.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Dave1 wrote:As a substitute for a ruck sack, what do you think of a backpack with a weight plate in it?

Would this be OK for a Day 6 in base?
As long as it's a sturdy pack, you're in business. I used rucking exclusively for my long E days on Day 6 for BB. I think it's a good idea for anyone looking to get serious with it.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
cws1992 wrote:I've been considering a weighted vest to add to my conditioning. Recently bought a sandbag and love that. Forgive my ignorance but what benefits can rucking help me with? For reference I'm a firefighter and I'm always looking for ways to improve my conditioning related to my job.
I'm not a firefighter, but I would say getting used to moving under load for a long period of time would be a good thing considering all the gear you wear. I do know Chris Adams recommends it for firefighters in his "Training To Be A Firefighter" series here on the TB website.
Besides rucking what other kind of workouts could I do with a weight vest?