Equipment you need and don't need

MxS/SE/HIC/E
travman

Equipment you need and don't need

Post by travman »

Rob Shaul at Mountain Tactical Institute released two articles on the gym equipment they use the most and gym equipment that were a bust for his programming. As the crowds in these two communities are similar I thought paste these articles here and start a discussion.

12 pieces of equipment they use everyday in Jackson Hole:

Barbells and Bumper/iron
Moveable racks
DBs/KBs
Sandbags
20x24x30 in Plyo box
Step-up benches
25-pound vest
Pull-up bar
Climbing ropes
backpacks/rucks
wall timer
white board

I can see garage gyms having all of these items except the step-up benches, climbing rope, and maybe the wall timer. Personally, I would like to have more DB/KBs, sandbags, and a plyo
box, maybe when I get a bigger space I can add more.

Honorable mentions
Turf
Flat Benches

Sleds
Foam Rollers
Smaller plyo boxes
chains

I am sure most people have flat benches, and foam rollers. Turf would be wonderful, but a dream.

8 Pieces that don’t cut it

GHD
Reverse Hyper
Rings & TRX
Slosh Bags/pipes
Med/Slam balls
Trap bars
Airdyne
Rowing Machines

The problem Shaul has with the Airdyne and rower are that they are not transferrable, he would rather have his athletes do sprints. Sprints can be done in winter, in Jackson Hole because he has a large area with Turf. I would like to have a rower over an airdyne because of the durability factor.

http://mtntactical.com/knowledge/12-fun ... test-time/

http://mtntactical.com/knowledge/8-piec ... 1haWwuY29t

Barkadion

Re: Equipment you need and don't need

Post by Barkadion »

Gear that is needed in my book:

- BB, plates,
- Squat stand/rack with pull-up bar
- Dip attachment
- Landmine
- Flat bench
- DBs, KBs
- TRX or Rings
- Resistance bands
- Airbike or Rower
- Sliders
- Heavy Bag
- Plywood or wooden boxes
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I think this is your 3rd strike ;)

I love Military Athletes programming. I just wish I could maintain the volume and also do sport/have a life.
Atomic Athlete is another site I regularly visit with similar programming. They train 3-4 days a week for most sessions and they are more sustainable. The guys come from Mil Athlete also.

Essentials for me are and in order are:
Shorts(because you can't train in public in the nude)
Pullup Bar
Weightvest/Backpack
Barbell and weights
Squat Rack/Power Rack
Kettlebells/Dumbell

In reality all I need is my shorts, weightvest and I will be fitter than 90% of the population.
I have more toys but I have found the above is well and truly more than I need.

Some of my best sessions have involved my weight vest and a random ledge while travelling.

Rowing machines can get stuffed. I am not a rower.

Adski

Post by Adski »

I have 4, technically 5 out of the 8 that didn’t make it if you count a DIY GHR device as similar to a GHD haha.

In general, I would say that people work and plan for what they have, and is within their price range.

For example, personally I started with a set of dumbbells (which I still have) at around 2005, prior to that, everything was bodyweight.

Baring that in mind, for the thrifty exercise enthusiast starting out I would say:

Pull Up Bar/dip bar
GHR Device (scrap wood can come handy)
Rings
Skipping Rope
Adjustable Dumbbells
Sledgehammer
Tyre
Flat Bench
Bands
Ab Wheel

I can’t really say equipment people won’t need, or won’t make the cut as I feel it would vary from individual to individual based on space, finances, needs (low impact requirements for some, etc).

travman

Post by travman »

Maxrip13 wrote:I think this is your 3rd strike ;)

I love Military Athletes programming. I just wish I could maintain the volume and also do sport/have a life.
Atomic Athlete is another site I regularly visit with similar programming. They train 3-4 days a week for most sessions and they are more sustainable. The guys come from Mil Athlete also.

Pullup Bar
Weightvest/Backpack
Barbell and weights
Squat Rack/Power Rack
Kettlebells/Dumbell

In reality all I need is my shorts, weightvest and I will be fitter than 90% of the population.

Some of my best sessions have involved my weight vest and a random ledge while travelling.

Oh well poop. I saw K.B.'s post as well. Iit is fitness related so it should have gone in the S&C thread. Mea Culpa. :(

The problem I have with Military Athlete is the time commitment as well. I have thought about Atomic Athlete but never pulled the trigger.

You sir are not as creative as I am. What else can you do with a vest and pull-up bar besides: pull-ups, bar muscle ups, and leg raises? And I am assuming ungodly amounts of running. I have a vest, just waiting to hit my 10 bodyweight pull-ups.

travman

Post by travman »

Adski wrote:I have 4, technically 5 out of the 8 that didn’t make it if you count a DIY GHR device as similar to a GHD haha.

In general, I would say that people work and plan for what they have, and is within their price range.

For example, personally I started with a set of dumbbells (which I still have) at around 2005, prior to that, everything was bodyweight.

Baring that in mind, for the thrifty exercise enthusiast starting out I would say:

Pull Up Bar/dip bar
GHR Device (scrap wood can come handy)
Rings
Skipping Rope
Adjustable Dumbbells
Sledgehammer
Tyre
Flat Bench
Bands
Ab Wheel

I can’t really say equipment people won’t need, or won’t make the cut as I feel it would vary from individual to individual based on space, finances, needs (low impact requirements for some, etc).
:lol: 5 out of 8 :lol:

I agree with you in, price range matters, space, and finances. I am sure we would all love to have a big warehouse to have turf or an indoor track.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

travman wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I think this is your 3rd strike ;)

Pullup Bar
Weightvest/Backpack
Barbell and weights
Squat Rack/Power Rack
Kettlebells/Dumbell

Oh well poop. I saw K.B.'s post as well. Iit is fitness related so it should have gone in the S&C thread. Mea Culpa. :(

The problem I have with Military Athlete is the time commitment as well. I have thought about Atomic Athlete but never pulled the trigger.

You sir are not as creative as I am. What else can you do with a vest and pull-up bar besides: pull-ups, bar muscle ups, and leg raises? And I am assuming ungodly amounts of running. I have a vest, just waiting to hit my 10 bodyweight pull-ups.
Haha I was just playing around. I think it's a good thread because I say these things and I still buy multiple training toys I don't really need.

Yeah Mil Athlete serssions can definitely stretch out but I think they are the best sport/selection specific programs available for the Tactical crowd.

Atomic Athlete is great in that alot of the programming is 3 days a week and allows you to do stuff on the side. The sessions are very similar to Mil athlete just a bit shorter and more focused on GPP. I used the Maximum Overdrive Program for my last Strength Focused basebuild and had some excellent results. I love TB, but I occasionally like to shake things up a bit and Atmic Athlete is my usual programming choice.

The weightvest is a great way to train while travelling or short on time. I stick to the basics like Pushups, Pullups, squats and Lunges, but I have also used mine like a sandbag for rotational core work. Things like short power sprints and longer intervals become even more challenging with the added weight of a vest. I love doing longer intervals in my vest and I picked this up from mil athlete sessions.

Coming from a Mil/LE background I need to be able to perform in all my gear. I use my 20kg vest to over prepare to work in my lighter gear at work and when everyone else is whinging about the vests I am more than comfortable in any situation.

Don't get me wrong, I love Barbells and heavy weights( a little too much) for training, but I can get more than I need by loading myself with my vest and working hard consistently.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

travman wrote:Rob Shaul at Mountain Tactical Institute released two articles on the gym equipment they use the most and gym equipment that were a bust for his programming. As the crowds in these two communities are similar I thought paste these articles here and start a discussion.

Barbells and Bumper/iron
Moveable racks
DBs/KBs
Sandbags
20x24x30 in Plyo box
Step-up benches
25-pound vest
Pull-up bar
Climbing ropes
backpacks/rucks
wall timer
white board

I can see garage gyms having all of these items except the step-up benches, climbing rope, and maybe the wall timer. Personally, I would like to have more DB/KBs, sandbags, and a plyo

Honorable mentions
Turf
Flat Benches

Sleds
Foam Rollers
Smaller plyo boxes
chains

I am sure most people have flat benches, and foam rollers. Turf would be wonderful, but a dream.

GHD
Reverse Hyper
Rings & TRX
Slosh Bags/pipes
Med/Slam balls
Trap bars
Airdyne
Rowing Machines

The problem Shaul has with the Airdyne and rower are that they are not transferrable, he would rather have his athletes do sprints. Sprints can be done in winter, in Jackson Hole because he has a large area with Turf. I would like to have a rower over an airdyne because of the durability factor.

I’m glad they cut down on a lot of that random equipment. Half the struggle with following their programming was making sure you would have all the equipment necessary or have a plan to sub in something else which was almost always the case

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Tyr0331 wrote:
travman wrote:Rob Shaul at Mountain Tactical Institute released two articles on the gym equipment they use the most and gym equipment that were a bust for his programming. As the crowds in these two communities are similar I thought paste these articles here and start a discussion.

Barbells and Bumper/iron
Moveable racks
DBs/KBs
Sandbags
20x24x30 in Plyo box
Step-up benches
25-pound vest
Pull-up bar
Climbing ropes
backpacks/rucks
wall timer
white board

Honorable mentions
Turf
Flat Benches

Sleds
Foam Rollers
Smaller plyo boxes
chains

GHD
Reverse Hyper
Rings & TRX
Slosh Bags/pipes
Med/Slam balls
Trap bars
Airdyne
Rowing Machines

I’m glad they cut down on a lot of that random equipment. Half the struggle with following their programming was making sure you would have all the equipment necessary or have a plan to sub in something else which was almost always the case
Yeah it's not too bad now. I don't even have dumbells so generally find myself using plates for the lighter rehab movements.

travman

Post by travman »

Maxrip13 wrote: Atomic Athlete is great in that alot of the programming is 3 days a week and allows you to do stuff on the side. The sessions are very similar to Mil athlete just a bit shorter and more focused on GPP. I used the Maximum Overdrive Program for my last Strength Focused basebuild and had some excellent results. I love TB, but I occasionally like to shake things up a bit and Atmic Athlete is my usual programming choice.

The weightvest is a great way to train while travelling or short on time. I stick to the basics like Pushups, Pullups, squats and Lunges, but I have also used mine like a sandbag for rotational core work. Things like short power sprints and longer intervals become even more challenging with the added weight of a vest. I love doing longer intervals in my vest and I picked this up from mil athlete sessions.
I like Atomic Athlete's strength standards and coaching standards. I want to add a weight vest when I hit 10 hill sprints with no rest, I know it would be more beneficial for me to increase the distance.
Tyr0331 wrote:
Agreed!