clarification on HIC

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

clarification on HIC

Post by TBPenguin »

When doing HIC variations that have repeats, the goal is the heart rate, not the performance, right? There is a drop-off in performance on later repeats of a drill, is there an amount of drop off that indicates that some adjustments are needed?

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: clarification on HIC

Post by K.B. »

TBPenguin wrote:When doing HIC variations that have repeats, the goal is the heart rate, not the performance, right? There is a drop-off in performance on later repeats of a drill, is there an amount of drop off that indicates that some adjustments are needed?
Penguin,

Objective 1
Complete the Standard version non-stop except for the allotted rest intervals/breaks.

When you can complete objective#1 - work on:

Objective#2
Complete the Advanced version of the same HIC non-stop except for the allotted rest intervals/breaks.

HICs have instructions when maximum effort is called for (such as 600m resets) or pacing is required (ex: Connaught). Conduct yourself accordingly. Drop offs are natural and acceptable - it means you're putting in the effort when required. Over time that drop off will come later and later within the same workout as you get fitter. At times, cardio requires intensity and pushing past your comfort zone to force some of the body's more stubborn adaptations.

A HIC is not a mini-competition or WOD. Getting better at a particular HIC isn't a goal in and of itself - it's more of a measure of your progress over the long term. It's a training tool that improves your performance through repetition and work.

Don't go overboard with HIC either - I don't recommend more than 2-3 per week, depending on the HICs you choose. Periodically dump the HICs completely and return to some form of low intensity work like Base or LSS.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey KB, thanks for this. You answered my question "Drop offs are natural and acceptable - it means you're putting in the effort when required." plus gave me additional info.

I've been completing but started to wonder if the drop offs meant I wasn't pacing properly, or if I'd missed something in my reading on the amount of drop off allowed.

In addition to the info, I appreciate the voice of reason in my ear. Sad to say I still need it!

Thank you sir.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:In addition to the info, I appreciate the voice of reason in my ear. Sad to say I still need it!
We all do.. I keep re-reading books on the regular basis and still see the points that I have missed before..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Barkadion wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:In addition to the info, I appreciate the voice of reason in my ear. Sad to say I still need it!
We all do.. I keep re-reading books on the regular basis and still see the points that I have missed before..
Amen