Green2Blue TB Log

Green2Blue

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by Green2Blue »

KS-90 wrote: Ya man. If you don't think it is to fast; It has just been my experience that staying between 120-150 Bpm is real slow. I'm not sure I could judge it all to well without a HRM. Even with it on I will usually start to creep over 150 then have to slow down if I am not paying attention.

What is your mile sitting at right now?

If it was me I wouldn't be doing the speed build-ups. Especially during a Base Building Phase.
I plan on ordering a HRM sometime this week.

No idea. I ran 2.5 a week or two ago at a decent RPE and the first mile was done in 7:30.

I dropped the speed build-ups. I'm barely recovering from my workouts as it is.

This block has been kind of shot to shit, especially on conditioning. Not sure if I should redo this green(ish) block or go straight to black and do those interval and tempo runs you suggested.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/28/16
Strength (Operator)
Block 4
Week 4
Day 3

Primary Lifts (75% Training Max)

SQ 3x5@335 lbs
BP 5x5@180 lbs
WPU 3x5@75 lbs

Accessory Lifts

Facepulls 3x8-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3x

Consentration Curl 3x8-12
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8-12

Notes

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

My two cents;

It looks like you're running Green + Operator, this combination isn't recommended in TB, and for good reason. Heavy duty aerobic work and maximal strength signal the body to adapt in completely opposite ways.

Green protocol is for the athlete that's an endurance athlete first. Weight lifting would be supplementary, second fiddle. Like the professional triathlete or marathon/ultra-marathon racer used in TB examples. I can't fathom these types of athletes doing more than 2 days of supplementary strength training, nevermind something like Operator. With Green protocol, doing anything other than SE or Fighter is an exercise in futility in my opinion. You might be overestimating how much cardio you actually need.

A better approach would be to run Base with SE or Fighter. Follow that up with Operator and run Black. You can easily get plenty of aerobic/anaerobic work by using the right version of Black; professional.

Pro gives you 2 x HIC + 1 E every week. You could set it up like this:

Apex, Fast 5, 60 minute LISS. For someone with Base under their belt, that's plenty of weekly cardio volume. Just an example.
Last edited by DocOctagon on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

The "2nd Thing" in this article addresses my last post:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2016/06/01/3-t ... ditioning/

That's what makes Base Building so awesome and effective. SE and E play well with each other. Look at it as working on a weak area (cardio) temporarily until you bring it up to par, and then switch back to the good old heavy duty barbell training with Op/Black. Anyway, just some food for thought!

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Green2Blue wrote: I plan on ordering a HRM sometime this week.

No idea. I ran 2.5 a week or two ago at a decent RPE and the first mile was done in 7:30.

This block has been kind of shot to shit, especially on conditioning. Not sure if I should redo this green(ish) block or go straight to black and do those interval and tempo runs you suggested.
Man I'd say the best way to find out would be to just throw in some headphones on Sunday after a couple nights off and go and give er for a mile as fast as you can. Then at least you have a rough baseline. I find running as hard as you can (or any hard cardio session) with a partner or a way to see your pace (track, known distance, phone) pretty surprising - you can usually redline way higher then you think.

Then you can see how far you are and make a decision from there - plus you will have a good start point if you do decide to jump into intervals.

One thing I have noticed with myself is that my body feels way less beat up doing the high intensity stuff. I'm not sore or run down which if I stay injury free will let me continue to train and improve. When I was doing more LSS Running my joints definitely noticed it and If I would of continued to up the mileage continuously I think I would have gotten an overuse injury that interfered with my other goals.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

DocOctagon wrote:The "2nd Thing" in this article addresses my last post:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2016/06/01/3-t ... ditioning/

That's what makes Base Building so awesome and effective. SE and E play well with each other. Look at it as working on a weak area (cardio) temporarily until you bring it up to par, and then switch back to the good old heavy duty barbell training with Op/Black. Anyway, just some food for thought!
I really do appreciate your input. It looks like I'm certainly trying to accomplish too much at once. That is in line with my goals: strength, speed, and endurance. I know that's hard and that my goals are ambitious, but I'm willing to do the work. I just need to train smarter. I might just switch to black pro now. I was going to wait until the end of the block but this isn't working. Maybe once I get my run speed up to where I'm happy I'll do a fighter/green block to get that half-marathon capability back.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

KS-90 wrote:
Green2Blue wrote: I plan on ordering a HRM sometime this week.

Man I'd say the best way to find out would be to just throw in some headphones on Sunday after a couple nights off and go and give er for a mile as fast as you can. Then at least you have a rough baseline. I find running as hard as you can (or any hard cardio session) with a partner or a way to see your pace (track, known distance, phone) pretty surprising - you can usually redline way higher then you think.

Then you can see how far you are and make a decision from there - plus you will have a good start point if you do decide to jump into intervals.

One thing I have noticed with myself is that my body feels way less beat up doing the high intensity stuff. I'm not sore or run down which if I stay injury free will let me continue to train and improve. When I was doing more LSS Running my joints definitely noticed it and If I would of continued to up the mileage continuously I think I would have gotten an overuse injury that interfered with my other goals.
Again I have to thank you for your input. As I told Doc, I'm probably going to scrap green for now and do black (maybe pro, idk). I was going to do a shorter run tonight anyway so I guess that's a decent time to test my 1 mile.

I ordered my HRM last night.

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Right on man. Looking forward to seeing how ya do.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/29/16
Conditioning
Block 4
Week 4
Day 4

One mile speed test: 6:36

Notes
-This was surprisingly fun. I could certainly be more disappointed with my time, especially considering I haven't been training for this specific run recently.
KS-90 wrote:Right on man. Looking forward to seeing how ya do.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

09/30/16
Strength (Operator)
Block 4
Week 4
Day 5

Primary Lifts (75% Training Max)

SQ 3x5@335 lbs
BP 3x5@180 lbs
DL 3x5@ 360 lbs

Accessory Lifts

Lateral Raises 3x8-12
Trunk Rotations 3x8-12

Preacher Curls 3x8-12
Tricep Press Downs 3x8-12

Notes
-Probably the best MS workout I've had in a couple weeks. Wasn't great, but it was better. Next week at 85% is the real challenge.