J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

WallBilly wrote:No bench? Is there a reason?

I have had more and more information coming back from my shoulders that benching might not be the best thing for them in the long run . . .
Well, there's no really good reason. My shoulders have never given me trouble benching (knock on wood!). I was just screwing around the gym last week, and did some OHP between Dl sets. I had forgot how much fun it was. My bench has been frustrating lately (for about that last ten years!), so I thought it would be interesting to make OHP my main pressing movement for a few blocks.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Great to see this! Are we going to get an interactive experience with more videos/pics?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

K.B. wrote:Great to see this! Are we going to get an interactive experience with more videos/pics?
Well maybe every now and again. I actually enjoyed monkeying a bit with YouTube putting this together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHxkR8ls_I

The video is the last sets of all of this:

OP I/A 3/9 (75%)
SQ: 300/5x4
OHP: 135/5x7
DL: 375/3x3

I felt great under the bar today, but I played it cool on the SQ because of the DLs on the horizon. I let it rip a bit on the OHP, because I have nothing on the docket for the upper body until Monday. The Dl is at 75% just like the other lifts, but since I'm still keep some serious swing volume, I'll be keeping the pulls to no more than triples. This is exactly how I want a day 3 of an OP week to go: I felt like I had mastered those weights, everything was snappy, and I'm looking forward to moving up to 80%.

I felt the lack of the WPU, but that that might be for the better; I tend to get some sore elbows form lots of pull-ups. Well see how the DL mixes with my swing volume.

You can see in the video that I have brought back my weightlifting belt. The article by Ripp that one of you posted both here and Reddit really moved me.

My morning class got interrupted today because our town was evacuated because of a chlorine spill! As my wife and I were driving out of town, I commented on how great the flexibility of OP I/A is because I don't have to worry about missing a workout while we are refugees. :lol: Happily, nobody in our town was seriously injured (just some cases of respiratory discomfort), I got an unexpected three-day weekend, and the cloud blew off soon enough for me to get my OP session in on time.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
K.B. wrote:Great to see this! Are we going to get an interactive experience with more videos/pics?
Well maybe every now and again. I actually enjoyed monkeying a bit with YouTube putting this together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYHxkR8ls_I

The video is the last sets of all of this:

OP I/A 3/9 (75%)
SQ: 300/5x4
OHP: 135/5x7
DL: 375/3x3

I felt great under the bar today, but I played it cool on the SQ because of the DLs on the horizon. I let it rip a bit on the OHP, because I have nothing on the docket for the upper body until Monday. The Dl is at 75% just like the other lifts, but since I'm still keep some serious swing volume, I'll be keeping the pulls to no more than triples. This is exactly how I want a day 3 of an OP week to go: I felt like I had mastered those weights, everything was snappy, and I'm looking forward to moving up to 80%.

I felt the lack of the WPU, but that that might be for the better; I tend to get some sore elbows form lots of pull-ups. Well see how the DL mixes with my swing volume.

You can see in the video that I have brought back my weightlifting belt. The article by Ripp that one of you posted both here and Reddit really moved me.

My morning class got interrupted today because our town was evacuated because of a chlorine spill! As my wife and I were driving out of town, I commented on how great the flexibility of OP I/A is because I don't have to worry about missing a workout while we are refugees. :lol: Happily, nobody in our town was seriously injured (just some cases of respiratory discomfort), I got an unexpected three-day weekend, and the cloud blew off soon enough for me to get my OP session in on time.
Thank you for posting the video. It's very inspiring.

Great solid squat! Was it beard? Personally, I found that you don't really need a belt if you got the beard going! :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Nice work on all, especially the Press...... very, very crisp indeed.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote: Thank you for posting the video. It's very inspiring.

Great solid squat! Was it beard? Personally, I found that you don't really need a belt if you got the beard going! :lol:
Thanks Bark! A beard is always good for 25lbs on at the SQ.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Nice work on all, especially the Press...... very, very crisp indeed.
Thanks THLE. I was hoping you would get a look at these. I would like to get you critical eyes on my swings sometime soon. I'm complete autodidact with kettlebells, so I'm sure I could use some corrections. Maybe I'll put something up next week.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

J-Madd wrote:
Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Nice work on all, especially the Press...... very, very crisp indeed.
Thanks THLE. I was hoping you would get a look at these. I would like to get you critical eyes on my swings sometime soon. I'm complete autodidact with kettlebells, so I'm sure I could use some corrections. Maybe I'll put something up next week.
Thanks for the compliment. Anything I can do, shout out.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Love the video.

Are you capping your DL at 3 reps?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Saracen wrote:Love the video.

Are you capping your DL at 3 reps?
Yes. I want to keep a substantial volume of heavy swings (40KG and 48KG), so I'm keeping the DL volume minimal, at least for my first 9 session sequence.