close_fox TB Log

nickgoldma

Re: close_fox TB Log

Post by nickgoldma »

Hows the training going? I haven't done much of the rucking sessions. I replaced them with LSS or Triples. Either way, this template has been real effective for me thus far. Hope the same for you.
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 5

SE Circuits
3x50
1min rest between exercises
2min rest between circuits

Notes: Today wasn't too bad. I got the reps in without pushing too hard...stop short of fatigue, brief rest pause, and snap off more reps.

LSS: 45min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Treadmill 1% incline

SE Circuits
2x50
1min rest between exercises
2min rest between circuits

Rest

Forgot to set treadmill to incline

Rest

Week 5 wrap-up: Seems appropriate to recap the first five weeks (SE phase) of BB. I am pleased with my results so far. It only took about a month to once again become relatively "immune" to slow runs of 60min+. I perceived consistent difficulty during the SE circuits as they increased from 30 to 40 to now 50 reps. That tells me my SE capacity increased as the weeks passed. I will revisit all this when I am finished with BB. I am very motivated to start the max strength and HIC sessions over the last three weeks of BB. After that, I will take a week "off" to take a PFT and test my SWAT cluster maxes for my next block (Black+Operator).
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 6

Strength: Fighter w/ Grunt Cluster (OHP, FSQ, WPU)
3x5@75%TM

Notes: Finally time to lift! I quickly calculated my training max based on the max session I did before starting BB. Set 1 of OHP. I unracked the bar and got five reps. Felt heavy. No big deal; I haven't touched real weight in weeks. Waited five minutes. Set 2 of OHP. Ok this is heavy. Well, maybe I lost some strength during BB. Would make sense, I have been doing a fair amount of E running. Lightbulb. Hey genius: you are repping your training max x5. Not 75% of your training max, as Rx'd. Outstanding. Adjusted the weight. Correct weight (75% of training max) flew up. Moral of the story: math is hard. Additionally: I want to avoid hypertrophy as much as possible, so I am taking 5min rest between sets.

HIC: 600m Resets
6x600m; 5min rest after each
Treadmill 1% incline

Notes: I would rather have done these on a track, but the treadmill was the only way to fit it into my schedule today. Lungs were fine. Leg turnover will improve with regular running HIC sessions.

Recover (Rest)

3x5@75%TM

Notes: Repeat of 6.1 (with correct load for all sets/reps!)

BOO II

10 Burpees
800m run
5 Burpees
400m sprint
Rest 3min
x3

Notes: Loved this workout. Repeats like this (that use different distances and paces) are really good for learning to run hard while fatigued and accurately perceive effort. Good skills to have if you are training for a PFT or race.

LSS: 30min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Rest

Week 6 wrap-up: Continuing my notes from 6.1: Before BB started, I stopped my OHP max test at 155 when I felt warning signs in my back. On 6.1, I mistakenly put up 2x5@135 and felt fine. That tells me I did not lose strength during SE phase of BB over the last five weeks. I might have even gotten a little stronger on OHP despite not lifting anything heavier than bodyweight and a 12kg KB...and doing exactly zero reps of OHP. So those contemplating standard BB can take heart: your precious gainz will not be lost while you concentrate on E and SE for five weeks.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 7

3x5@80%TM

Notes: Slight increase in weight. Didn't notice it.

Treadmill 1% incline

Notes: I ran these 600s 1mph faster than day 6.2, despite the same perceived effort. I guess my body is acclimating from LSS to the faster leg turnover and pain tolerance specific to this type of running.

Recovery (Rest)

3x5@80%TM

Repeat of 7.1

HIC: Oxygen Debt 101
200m
Rest 30sec
200m
Rest 30sec
200m
Rest 3min

Repeat x3

Notes: I was surprised that 600m Resets hurt a lot more than this workout. On paper, this one looks tougher (IMO).

LSS: 30min run
Treadmill 1% incline

Week 7 wrap-up: Almost finished with BB. One more week. Feeling a little over-trained. Nothing else to report.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

close_fox wrote: I was surprised that 600m Resets hurt a lot more than this workout. On paper, this one looks tougher (IMO).
I too underestimated 600m Resets!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

J-Madd wrote:
I too underestimated 600m Resets!
Related: My (electronic) copy of TB2 references 400m Resets in a couple places. Looks like a typo that should be 600m. Anyway, around rep 4 of the workout, I start thinking "Why couldn't KB have gone with 400s instead of 600s?!" :D

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

I am at that point where I am going to be back under the weights again this coming week. I can't wait! I forgot to test out my 1RM but I might just use to my memory what I last tested. What do you think I should do? Something tells me it hasn't changed much...
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

nickgoldma wrote:I am at that point where I am going to be back under the weights again this coming week. I can't wait! I forgot to test out my 1RM but I might just use to my memory what I last tested. What do you think I should do? Something tells me it hasn't changed much...
When did you last test? Was it the same exercises you plan to use next week? Maybe just declare BB over (assuming you have honestly put in the E and SE work - only you can answer that), test your maxes, and start your next block based on those numbers.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

close_fox wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:I am at that point where I am going to be back under the weights again this coming week. I can't wait! I forgot to test out my 1RM but I might just use to my memory what I last tested. What do you think I should do? Something tells me it hasn't changed much...
When did you last test? Was it the same exercises you plan to use next week? Maybe just declare BB over (assuming you have honestly put in the E and SE work - only you can answer that), test your maxes, and start your next block based on those numbers.
I wound up testing last night after I posted this. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and start lifting then. I will probably add in an extra E session at the end of the week and maybe an SE at the end of the week on the same day. At the same time, I don't want to tinker around with it too much. Just a thought, though.
Get after it!

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

BB Week 8

3x3@90%TM

Notes: Took some discipline to not load up the bar and get some heavy squats on.

Treadmill 1% incline

Notes: Maintained my fastest speed from 7.2 for all of the reps. These 600s hurt. No way around it. But afterwards, my chest feels open and lungs are burning a little. I am thinking about buying a HR monitor so I can track my HR during these HICs. I have been using the HRM on the treadmill during LSS runs (when I use a treadmill). Not 100% accurate, but it's something. But, requires both hands on the sensors for about 15 seconds. Not an option for HIC running.

Recover (rest)

3x3@90%TM
Repeat of 8.1

HIC: BOO
KB swing 1min
Run 800m
Rest 3min
x5

Notes: I used the 24kg KB. I maintained 30+ swings for the first three rounds. More or less got broke off the last two rounds. Maintained constant speed on the 800s (the same speed as my first day of 600m Resets). Seriously gassed after this workout.

LSS: 60min run

Notes: I was surprised that my hamstrings were not sore today after yesterday's swings. Overall a pretty easy run. Grinded just a little during the last 10min.

Week 8 wrap-up: Pretty hard week of running this week (two tough HICs and a 60min LSS). BB is over. Feels good to have my first block of TB in the books. More comments to follow in a subsequent post.