J-Madd's Training Log

Moz69

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by Moz69 »

J-Madd wrote:I

I'm experimenting with a different muscle/strength emphasis block that I want to include in a book for older TB athletes that I'm currently working on. As such, my logging will be a bit more sporadic for the next six weeks or so, but I will check in here and there.
Sounds interesting, good luck and look forward to reading it in the future.. us old gits should stick together.
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Moz69 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I

I'm experimenting with a different muscle/strength emphasis block that I want to include in a book for older TB athletes that I'm currently working on. As such, my logging will be a bit more sporadic for the next six weeks or so, but I will check in here and there.
Sounds interesting, good luck and look forward to reading it in the future.. us old gits should stick together.
Thanks Moz!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This was the first time I swam in a few months, and I'm sure anybody watching could tell!

200m Free (warm-up)

5 cycles of the following (no breaks)
25m Free (max effort/minimizing breaths)
25m Breast (max effort)
50m Kick (recovery pace)

I then worked on treading water for a few minutes, and called it a day.

I'm not a great swimmer, but that was a decent HIC for a day that the roads, hills, and track are snowed over, and I'm not prepared to face the Airdyne.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:This was the first time I swam in a few months, and I'm sure anybody watching could tell!

200m Free (warm-up)

5 cycles of the following (no breaks)
25m Free (max effort/minimizing breaths)
25m Breast (max effort)
50m Kick (recovery pace)

I then worked on treading water for a few minutes, and called it a day.

I'm not a great swimmer, but that was a decent HIC for a day that the roads, hills, and track are snowed over, and I'm not prepared to face the Airdyne.
I have read "m" as a "min" for some reason... And I was speechless for a awhile... :lol:

Joking aside.. I am thinking if I need to join a gym for a winter for a swimming only.. I miss that.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:

Joking aside.. I am thinking if I need to join a gym for a winter for a swimming only.. I miss that.
I bet you look a lot less like a distressed whale than I do when I'm swimming. ;)

tomcatflyer

Post by tomcatflyer »

J-Madd wrote:I decided to show solidarity with all my Canadian brothers and sisters around here and I stuck with my garage, rather than going to the YMCA. It was 5 degrees F when I did this:

SSB: 310/5x3
BP: 225/8x3
Pull-Up: BW/8x3
2-H KB Swing: 48KG/20x3

I did 2-H swings because I was having a hard time gripping the Beast with gloves on.

Help me out - what is a SSB?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

tomcatflyer wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I decided to show solidarity with all my Canadian brothers and sisters around here and I stuck with my garage, rather than going to the YMCA. It was 5 degrees F when I did this:

SSB: 310/5x3
BP: 225/8x3
Pull-Up: BW/8x3
2-H KB Swing: 48KG/20x3

I did 2-H swings because I was having a hard time gripping the Beast with gloves on.

Help me out - what is a SSB?
Great question Tomcat. "SSB" is "Safety Squat Bar." I'm playing around with that implement to save a bit on my elbows and shoulders, because I'm adding a lot of volume on the BP and WPU. I always prefer to use the standard barbell, but this is all part of a broader experiment. Here's and image of the SSB in action:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/f ... r-ssb.html

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This was actually yesterday:

SSB: 310/5 x 3
BP: 240/8 x 4
WPU: 15/8 x 4

The foolishness of the previous day's swimming venture was acutely felt! Breaststroke sprints and high volume bench pressing are not good bedfellows!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

J-Madd wrote:This was actually yesterday:

SSB: 310/5 x 3
BP: 240/8 x 4
WPU: 15/8 x 4

The foolishness of the previous day's swimming venture was acutely felt! Breaststroke sprints and high volume bench pressing are not good bedfellows!
It's surprising how much swimming can effect you when you aren't used to that sort of volume haha. I had to do a clothed 400m swim and it nearly derailed my base build. I absolutely loved the challenge of the swim though

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I shamelessly plagiarized this workout from Train-Hard-Live-Easy's log. It was exactly what the doctor order for the day!

10 min Airdyne

5 rounds (no rest)
Push-up x5
Squat x 5

3 rounds (no rest)
60 sec Aridyne (hard pace)
10 Prisoner Get-ups
60 sec Airdyne (hard pace)
7 bodyweight rows (7 second hold on the last rep

4 rounds (no rest)
20 Flutter kicks
20 Russian twists