J-Madd's Training Log

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Good Man!!

Assume that was 15 squats you were doing and NOT 5 ;)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Yesterday: I took my single-speed bike for a ride. I covered paved roads, gravel roads some packed trails on the river levees. I was out for about 75 min. On the way back I had to work into a wind gusting to 30mph. That got pretty interesting. A really fun ride.

Today: BJJ open mat. Lots of moderate speed rolling.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BP: 225/5x5
DL: 315/5x3

BOO x 5 (70lbs KB)

My little strength/mass experiment is over, so I'm back to more standard programming. I'm actually going to play with Zulu for a while. This semester my schedule is such that I need to finish my workouts fairly quickly and earlier in the day. If can lift and condition back-to-back at least one day each week that will be helpful too. Some days I'll need to do a quick lifting session in the morning, and then roll later in the day. Normally, I probably wouldn't do five rounds of BOO right after DLing, but my next workout isn't until tomorrow night (BJJ), so I had an extra 1/2 day for recovery and and some time to burn today.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

J-Madd wrote:BP: 225/5x5

BOO x 5 (70lbs KB)

My little strength/mass experiment is over, so I'm back to more standard programming. I'm actually going to play with Zulu for a while. This semester my schedule is such that I need to finish my workouts fairly quickly and earlier in the day. If can lift and condition back-to-back at least one day each week that will be helpful too. Some days I'll need to do a quick lifting session in the morning, and then roll later in the day. Normally, I probably wouldn't do five rounds of BOO right after DLing, but my next workout isn't until tomorrow night (BJJ), so I had an extra 1/2 day for recovery and and some time to burn today.
Switching to Zulu? Geez JMadd quit copying me ;).

Can we get a brief rundown of the strength/mass experiment and the results?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:

BOO x 5 (70lbs KB)

+1! I would be very interested on some feedback and reasoning behind that.

But, JMAD - sorry if I enter private space here, though. I do respect your training thinking and I would be interested to read about that...
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:

BOO x 5 (70lbs KB)

But, JMAD - sorry if I enter private space here, though. I do respect your training thinking and I would be interested to read about that...
The switch to Zulu is really just because I want some quicker strength workouts that I can also couple with a conditioning session 1-2 days each week. That's all to accommodate my teaching schedule (and my wife's teaching schedule) this semester and BJJ.

The strength/mass emphasis had mixed results. I was doing relatively high intensity followed by some pretty serious down sets for volume three days each week. That is a lot work! I was clearly getting bigger and stronger. No doubt. I was also getting pretty beat up. I cut way back on conditioning, but with BJJ I couldn't handle the high volume/high intensity work that I was doing. Three weeks in I was feeling pretty crappy, and I realized it just wasn't sustainable. A younger guy might get away with it, or maybe even someone my age who is happy to put everything else on hold but pumping iron on hold for six weeks. That's not the generally balanced, multidimensional approach I want. There are also a lot of other programs out there for folks who want that sort of thing. I might keep it in my consulting quiver, but I don't recommend it generally. If you want to emphasize a little extra muscle, the the volume in OP/Zulu I/A, or dig up the old Mass template.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:

The switch to Zulu is really just because I want some quicker strength workouts that I can also couple with a conditioning session 1-2 days each week. That's all to accommodate my teaching schedule (and my wife's teaching schedule) this semester and BJJ.

The strength/mass emphasis had mixed results. I was doing relatively high intensity followed by some pretty serious down sets for volume three days each week. That is a lot work! I was clearly getting bigger and stronger. No doubt. I was also getting pretty beat up. I cut way back on conditioning, but with BJJ I couldn't handle the high volume/high intensity work that I was doing. Three weeks in I was feeling pretty crappy, and I realized it just wasn't sustainable. A younger guy might get away with it, or maybe even someone my age who is happy to put everything else on hold but pumping iron on hold for six weeks. That's not the generally balanced, multidimensional approach I want. There are also a lot of other programs out there for folks who want that sort of thing. I might keep it in my consulting quiver, but I don't recommend it generally. If you want to emphasize a little extra muscle, the the volume in OP/Zulu I/A, or dig up the old Mass template.
Thank you.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Last night: BJJ -- pretty tough practice!

Today:
FSQ: 190/5x3
PU: BW/8x4
OHP: 135/5x3

3-mile Airdyne TT: 9.47

I'm going with the FSQ this block, because I'm giving the DL more serious attention than normal. I'm a terrible FSQer, so I find the occasional block with that movement an interesting challenge. I new use a belt for FSQ. That's not for any big reason, just an old habit. Maybe I'll rethink that.

My little experiment with high intensity/volume bench pressing has left my shoulders a bit creepy. I'm probably going to dump the OHP and replace the BP with a something like floor press with a feeble training max for the rest of this block, just to play it safely. Oh well, the wages of sin ad all.

Yesterday I was able to switch my old Airdyne for one with a working computer through a complicated Craigslist triangulation (which left me waiting at a truck stop in rural Missouri for about an hour wondering whether I was being set-up to be mugged). I've heard people rave about the three-mile time trial on a fan bike so I gave it a try to day, just to set a base line. I'm sure I can beat this time. I went way too slow for the first 1.5 mile, because I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I've been wiped out by the flue off and on all week. I was able to train BJJ on Thursday, but then I pretty much crashed for 36 hours. Today I felt a lot better, so I trained BJJ again today. We'll see whether I'm a fevery again mess in a few hours!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Hope you beat that funk soon.