Briancsnv- Training Log

Briancsnv

Briancsnv- Training Log

Post by Briancsnv »

So after some thinking and advice I decided to do the 8 week Base Building with the emphasis on SE as I wanted to completely tear down my way of training and start over. Following the Base Building Template today was Day #1 of SE. I chose the barbell cluster and it was as follows:

3 Circuits x 20 reps each

1 minute rest between exercises

2 minute rest between circuits

Push Press
rest
Front Squat
rest
Row
rest
Floor Press
rest
Shrugs
rest
Romanian Deadlift
Rest, Repeat

40 percent of my 1 rm max came out to be about 108 lbs. I opted to go with 95 lbs to get a feel for how it progressed. I didn't want to gas out too early.

Man I gotta tell you, it was a butt kicker. I was dripping sweat. The breaks definitely helped however it was an eye opener as to how little strength endurance I had. I estimate that I finished the workout in about 40 minutes, I was gonna time myself but I was too focused on my breaks and pushing through the workout. I will tell you that i opted to go lighter on my front squat and did the goblet squat with a 35lb dumbell because it was painfully obvious that I was lacking in leg strength. Everything else was done with 95lb's. Although the workout was exhausting I was still left feeling like If I had to exert myself later I would be able to. The weight was manageable but I'm tossing around the idea of going a little lighter. I know that next week I will be doing upwards of 30 reps and I want to be able to complete the workout while maintaining my rest intervals.

Let me tell you, the workout pushed me.

I've done crossfit and bodybuilding style workouts in the past. While I think crossfit is okay sometimes there really is no rest between sets in some of their workouts. I hate to sound cliche but I felt more efficient both in time and use of my energy using this SE template.

Coming from a bodybuilding background I felt a little weird just putting 50lbs on the olympic bar but after my first couple of sets I knew that I was exerting myself more than I have during any of my previous bodybuilding workouts.

So far so good.

Briancsnv

Re: Briancsnv- Training Log

Post by Briancsnv »

Day #2- Endurance

I was on baby duty today so I ran indoors at my local gym (they have free childcare).

I opted to run for 30 minutes(on a treadmill) at a 9:30 mile pace on a 1 degree incline. I'm warmed up with a brisk walk for 10 minutes and then started my run. I'm sure I could have gone faster and longer but I fought the urge and just ran a steady pace. I chose to run just for 30 minutes to see how much I had left in the tank at the end of the run. At the end of the run I had ran 3.25 miles. I felt good and afterwards I still had some energy left.

Tomorrow is another endurance session and I can't wait to do it, it will be another steady run but I may up it to 45 minutes. That will be a morning decision. I'm also looking forward to another round of SE on thursday.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Briancsnv wrote:I was on baby duty today so I ran indoors at my local gym (they have free childcare).
This is awesome!!! I have twins and they are 7 months now but I can only imagine that gym with childcare can be life-savior..

You don't live in wonderland, do you? :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Barkadion wrote:
Briancsnv wrote:I was on baby duty today so I ran indoors at my local gym (they have free childcare).
This is awesome!!! I have twins and they are 7 months now but I can only imagine that gym with childcare can be life-savior..

You don't live in wonderland, do you? :lol:

lol no..just central texas, dripping springs to be exact...the local gym is a nationwide chain gym and to my knowledge they have free childcare at all of their locations..my little one is 5 months old and he just naps the hour that I'm gone...definitely a workout saver..

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Day #3 Endurance Run

35 minute run
9 minute pace

I was on baby watch duty again today so I had to run indoors on the treadmill. Did the same 10 minute warmup and started my run. I opted to run at a 9 minute pace to see how it felt and I felt great so I maintained that pace. I ran for 35 minutes and ran a little under 4 miles. I thought that this was a good pace and I still had plenty of energy afterwards.

I may start taking a little creatine and BCAA's to help with some minor soreness but other than that, so far so good. I'm really looking forward to my SE workout tomorrow.

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Day # 4 SE Circuit

2 Circuits x 20 reps each

Push Press
rest
Goblet Squat
rest
Row
rest
Floor Press
rest
Shrugs
rest
Romanian Deadlift
Rest, Repeat

I warmed up beforehand with a 10 minute brisk walk on the treadmill. I'm thinking maybe next time doing a slow jog the reason being is I think that will help the blood get moving faster. The sets went well and i used 95 lbs (barbell plus 50 lbs) for all reps with the exception of the goblet squat which I used a 35lb kettlebell.

I enjoyed the workout and worked up a good sweat but once the circuit's were complete after about a 3 minute break my energy came back.

It feels weird getting the workout done so quick but I'm constantly reminding myself about training my body. I'm looking forward to my rest day (tomorrow) not because I'm tired but because I'm looking forward to utilizing this energy for my LSS on Saturday which is going to be a ruck march. I still have to plan out the route and times but I'm looking forward to it.

So far so good.

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Day # 6 Ruck March (endurance)

Today was my long endurance workout. I opted to do a ruck march since it had been years since I did one. I opted to conduct the march at a primitive hiking trail at a park near my house. I aimed for 15 minute miles but due to the technicality of the trail (its popular among rock climbers) my pace slowed down to about 20 minutes for various stretches. I rucked with about 30lbs on my back and I think that maybe I will ruck with 35 or 40 next time, but no more than that.

I kicked myself because I should have planned the route better. I fought the urge to run some of the trail portions such as when I came to a hill. I had plenty of energy and moved at a good pace. The rest of day #5 really helped and the march was enjoyable. Although I was moving pretty briskly having that extra energy made it fun.

I plan on doing more ruck marches for my Day 6's and will plan them better so I can compare pace, mileage later.

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Week #2 Base Building- Day 8

3 Circuits x 30 reps each

Push Press
rest
Front Squat
rest
Row
rest
Floor Press
rest
Shrugs
rest
Romanian Deadlift
Rest, Repeat

wow this one was a smoker. I started off the workout with a light 10 minute jog to get the blood flowing. I started off with 95lbs (barbell plus 50 lbs) and got through the first circuit okay. I paused on my push press at about 22 reps into it and had to put the bar down before finishing it off. In the second circuit I found myself gasping through sets and getting tired at about 15 reps and putting the bar down. Once I got through the second circuit I took a longer break than the usual 2 minutes. I was really feeling this workout. I felt a little dizzy so I opted to reduce the weight by 10lbs and finished the 3rd circuit at 85lbs. I think it would be better served to continue my strength endurance workouts with this weight. I definitely want to play it smarter on this one so I will lighten the load. This workout definitely made me work for it. I finished but I finished ugly. I felt like I had done sprints on a hill...on a side not I was dragging butt this morning and made the mistake of drinking a monster energy drink before working out. Bad move because I think this affected my workout. I wont be doing that again.

All in all it was a tough workout but at the end I was glad I finished it. I'm still feeling it but still got a little energy left. it's slowing coming back to me.

I'm ready to tackle my endurance workout for tomorrow.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Bravissimo matey...... nice session....... you made a good choice...... reducing weight, and then deciding to stick with the weight for the duration of the following sessions.

Better to build slowly and stay the course than go all 'shock and awe' and blow your wad.

The mix of endurance work and SE work is a beautiful thing..... just remind yourself of the goal of the E work within the basebuilding [specific HR or if you do not have a HRM, then look to maintain a conversational pace]..... it may seem painfully slow, but it is worth while, I assure you.

All the very best for the rest of your journey...... shout out if you have any questions or concerns.... the crew on this board are all great.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Briancsnv

Post by Briancsnv »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Bravissimo matey...... nice session....... you made a good choice...... reducing weight, and then deciding to stick with the weight for the duration of the following sessions.

Better to build slowly and stay the course than go all 'shock and awe' and blow your wad.

The mix of endurance work and SE work is a beautiful thing..... just remind yourself of the goal of the E work within the basebuilding [specific HR or if you do not have a HRM, then look to maintain a conversational pace]..... it may seem painfully slow, but it is worth while, I assure you.

All the very best for the rest of your journey...... shout out if you have any questions or concerns.... the crew on this board are all great.
thanks for the kind words man.