Post by StayGrey »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Location: The Basement
Equipment: 2x40# DBs, AD6

After warmup and joint mobilisation

Buy-in:
5 Hindu Pushups
15 Squats [No weight]
5 Rounds
The aim here is minimal rest, just look to go from exercise to exercise, and round to round.

Then,

60s Airdyne [Aim for 20 cals minimum]
10 Prisoner style Get ups
60s Airdyne [Aim for 20 cals minimum]
10 Renegade Row [5/5] with DBs - aim for minimal rotation on the body with these row [imagine a glass of water on the small of your back]

3 Rounds [Rest as and when but the aim of the session is Minimal Rest to be taken throughout]

Then

20 Scissor Kicks [2 count]
20 Russian Twists [2 Count]
4 Rounds [again, aim is minimal rest to be taken throughout]

The R.Rows were positioned here deliberately..... after two hard cardio pieces, the body is labouring and so to hold maximum tension is really fecking difficult...... good times :twisted:

Cals obtained were 21/22/22/21/23/23

No opportunity for my usual 10 minute AD cooldown, had to leave for clients to train down at The Training Centre.

All in all, a great session......glow achieved and felt great....... I am glad to see the recovery after the cold the other month.... may not sound much, but man it kicked the crap out of everyone who's had it.......
Looks brutal man... kind of an SE look to it. Nice job!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: Building A Better Human

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Cheers Staygrey.

Equipment: 12kg kb, 50# kb, AD6

Warm up and movement prep.
Inc,
Squat to Stand with frogger
Cross body carry 12kg BU Rack hold, 50# farmer carry

Then

10-1 1A Swings 50# KB
2-20 burpees with push-up, no flop, retain standards

10/10,2, 9/9,4, 8/8,4 etc until 2/2,18, 1/1,20)

Rest when required, aim to go through it all at a good pace. If ceiling height allows, I usually do this with Snatches instead of Swings.....but this is a good variation

10 min Cool down AD6

https://instagram.com/p/BPoF4b4DIQk/
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Aerobic Endurance Day

50 min Snowshoe today.

Used the poles to engage the upper body a bit more. Good climb for the initial 30 minutes. Stuck to conversational pace [just me and the dog, don't judge me] :D
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Work capacity day

Equipment: BB, 70# SB, heart

Warm up and joint mob (inc squat 2 stand, frogger & stand up)
Lots of rolling to loosen up spine.

Then

10 min work intervals

BB - Max rep Z-press in 10 mins (GJ test) achieved 174 reps - happy with that

90s rest

Sandbag work,
2 G2Sh into 1 G/U
Repeat for other side
Into
5 SB squats
Rest as and when...... but 10 min is on clock (I mixed in shoulder stretches in my rest)

2 min rest

Then

1-9 Burpee pull-up with Hanging Leg Raise (aka THLE Shock & Awe)
No time limit just aim to get through these quickly. (45 in total)
This is similar to the birthday 'celebration' the crew completed at Tuesdays Build-A-Beast Session

Then 10 min AD cooldown ride

Overall, tiring session......but it feels good to train HARD again.

https://instagram.com/p/BPvqlmHja77/
Last edited by Train_Hard_Live_Easy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Work capacity day

Equipment: BB, 70# SB, heart

Warm up and joint mob (inc squat 2 stand, frogger & stand up)
Lots of rolling to loosen up spine.

Then

10 min work intervals

BB - Max rep Z-press in 10 mins (GJ test) achieved 174 reps - happy with that

90s rest

Sandbag work,
2 G2Sh into 1 G/U
Repeat for other side
Into
5 SB squats
Rest as and when...... but 10 min is on clock (I mixed in shoulder stretches in my rest)

2 min rest

Then

1-9 Burpee pull-up with Hanging Leg Raise (aka THLE Shock & Awe)
No time limit just aim to get through these quickly. (45 in total)
This is similar to the birthday 'celebration' the crew completed at Tuesdays Build-A-Beast Session

Then 10 min AD cooldown ride

Overall, tiring session......but it feels good to train HARD again.
I am interested in Z-Press since I have a low ceiling and standing OHP will not fly. I am bouncing between Z and landmine press.
I'd appreciate if you can share any thoughts/tips on the Z..

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Barkadion wrote:
I am interested in Z-Press since I have a low ceiling and standing OHP will not fly. I am bouncing between Z and landmine press.

Thanks!
Hey Bark

There are a couple of limitations on the Z Press, for sure.

One of the most important things is to keep a 'good spine', great posture..... do not allow the lower back to round..... the way I look at it is to sit on the sitting bones, or focus on sitting on the Hamstrings...focussing on those points will help maintain good posture.

Its great for core work, however you will be humbled if you look to go heavy from the get-go..... and ensure you have a suitable stand for the bar to start from [Cleaning the bar into the rack position whilst sitting will NOT work]...... unloaded as in the Max Rep Drill I did is fine with a quick shrug and spin of the elbows, but if I had weight then I would look to have in a stand of some sort [with the level set at or just below shoulder height.]

If you do have a variable stand you can use, then maybe give a thought to a tall kneeling stance.... this is friendlier in my opinion for the hips, the lower back and again works the core greatly..... there is no help from the legs....and being in a tall kneeling position means that the stand does not have to be set as low as if you were sat on the floor for the Z Press.

For strength work, in your choices you mention above, I would work with Landmine Press, and if you wish to vary it, use the landmine from the 1/2 kneeling position or indeed the tall kneeling position.

I do not use the Z Press for much else than a SE option..... and having done the drill yesterday I can honestly say my triceps, shoulders and core are letting me know I was a d*ck :lol: :lol:

Hope that helps
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Thanks!
Hey Bark

There are a couple of limitations on the Z Press, for sure.

One of the most important things is to keep a 'good spine', great posture..... do not allow the lower back to round..... the way I look at it is to sit on the sitting bones, or focus on sitting on the Hamstrings...focussing on those points will help maintain good posture.

Its great for core work, however you will be humbled if you look to go heavy from the get-go..... and ensure you have a suitable stand for the bar to start from [Cleaning the bar into the rack position whilst sitting will NOT work]...... unloaded as in the Max Rep Drill I did is fine with a quick shrug and spin of the elbows, but if I had weight then I would look to have in a stand of some sort [with the level set at or just below shoulder height.]

If you do have a variable stand you can use, then maybe give a thought to a tall kneeling stance.... this is friendlier in my opinion for the hips, the lower back and again works the core greatly..... there is no help from the legs....and being in a tall kneeling position means that the stand does not have to be set as low as if you were sat on the floor for the Z Press.

For strength work, in your choices you mention above, I would work with Landmine Press, and if you wish to vary it, use the landmine from the 1/2 kneeling position or indeed the tall kneeling position.

I do not use the Z Press for much else than a SE option..... and having done the drill yesterday I can honestly say my triceps, shoulders and core are letting me know I was a d*ck :lol: :lol:

Hope that helps
Thank you THLE! This is great respond! Appreciate that. Landmine press it is! I even have an attachment that will allow 2handed version. It'll be something similar to Viking press!

Cheers mate!

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

After yesterday's session, today's E session was a welcome respite.

I held a little experiment, n=1, and followed the same snowshow route I completed 17 days ago.

That route was through untracked snow and had a long steady climb for the first half, which had me take a break at the top. The Data from the HR monitor showed I had a Max HR of 151bpm on that route.

Today I followed the same route, and to make it fair I did not walk in my previously laid trail, wanting to walk through untracked snow for the duration.....today saw NO REST was required at the top of the climb other than to look back at my trail and to see my faithful companion, Candy the lab, climbing behind me tongue hanging out and 'smiling'.
The data from the HRM monitor showed a max HR of 134bpm and I shaved off 13 minutes from my previous time.

I am very happy with the way my training has progressed this month.... I do miss the iron, but with the change in circumstances means I cannot get to the training centre in good time before clients arrive [perks of living in the great frozen north and having only the one vehicle able to make it out of our drive!!]

This will hopefully change in the next month or so, but I will continue to train as I have been..... it's getting me the results I want at this time..... which is the important thing [Keeping the goal the goal!]

https://instagram.com/p/BPx0dRbjHFe/
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Heavy Breathing Day today.

A THLE Classic, only wheeled out once or twice a year

Hurricane Level 2

30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 SA Kettlebell Squats with 50#KB
30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 Flutter Kicks
30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 Dips [1st two round only then switched to Pushups due to not getting the volume in]

90s Rest

4 Rounds

10 min AD cool down.

Work / Rest period in seconds!!

Called the Hurricane after the storm...... short and sharp and leave devastation behind [actually learned this concept from Martin Rooney a few years ago..... and tweaked it a bit for our own 'fun']

For the first time in a long time, I did this 'cold'..... just a 45s steady AD cycle then in to it......

This was hard.... and the HRM showed that I got right up there with the HR.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Heavy Breathing Day today.

A THLE Classic, only wheeled out once or twice a year

Hurricane Level 2

30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 SA Kettlebell Squats with 50#KB
30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 Flutter Kicks
30 / 20 Hard AD
15 / 10 x 2 Dips [1st two round only then switched to Pushups due to not getting the volume in]

90s Rest

4 Rounds

10 min AD cool down.

Work / Rest period in seconds!!

Called the Hurricane after the storm...... short and sharp and leave devastation behind [actually learned this concept from Martin Rooney a few years ago..... and tweaked it a bit for our own 'fun']

For the first time in a long time, I did this 'cold'..... just a 45s steady AD cycle then in to it......

This was hard.... and the HRM showed that I got right up there with the HR.
It hurst when you are reading that during your week off :D