Josh's log

Josh

Re: Josh's log

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 2 Day 1
SE 3x30 - 52:46

The squats and supermans were unbroken. Every other set was done rest pause. That's was the most amount of bodyweight reps I've ever done in a workout. I really sandbagged the rest periods, but to be honest, I needed to.

I also took my two daughters, 3 and 1.5,on a hike. They have been asking for a bit. We walked down a river and around a pond, then tried to go up the hill to the view. My oldest wants to do it herself but isn't strong enough. The hike ended in a mile or so "dad carry"; which is like a farmer's carry but longer, less weight, and more accidental kicks.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 2 Day 2

E: Run/Walk
5:2x6=40 min - 3.1 mi

Probably hit my rehab curls and stretches later.

Feet are hurting a little at the big toe insertions. I got a pair of Altra Escalante 0 drop shoes. I thought I broke my feet into them over the past two months, but maybe I didn't. I'll run tomorrow in my Brooks to see if there is a difference.

I also took the girls on a 6 mile bike ride. 2 miles to a playground, 20 minutes of playing, then 4 miles back. The 4 miles took about 30 minutes. It was my first ride longer than a couple of minutes since my early teens. I have a trailer that I haul them in, they really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I could bike for a workout though, as I seem to coast a lot. A good day.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Basebuilding
Week 2 Day 3
Run:Walk
6:2x4+8=40 min 3.2 miles

Added a minute to the run interval and pushed to 8 minutes to complete my 40 minutes. The ache du jour is my left knee and ankle. Big toes feel fine, however.

On the active recovery dad cardio front (ARDCarF) I pushed the stroller to a nice Taylor ham egg and cheese on a bagel breakfast.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/18
Basebuilding
Week 2 Day 4
SE 2x30 28:58

My 2x30 was about 6 minutes faster than my 3x20, which is overall about 18% faster, but that didn't take into account there was 5 additional rest intervals.
squats and supermans were done unbroken. One set of the SLRDLs was unbroken. I still haven't passed 23 push-ups or 13 rows. I would like to beat these by a couple next week.
Since I got my workout done early today, and I miss my power rack (I haven't really lifted since mid June) I may try to get in some bench and squat technique work after the girls go to sleep. I need to work on coming my upper back in extension in the squat and my scapulae pinned down for the bench.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/20
Base Building
Week 2 Day 6
Run:Walk
5:2x7=47 min 3.5 miles

Definitely having trouble with my left midfoot. Today I ran in my brooks shoes, which promote heel striking. I may avoid running next week and try to hit the bike and elliptical.
Related to my recovery issues, I bought a copy of Ageless Athlete. I may try limiting my E and/or doing the tango circuits. My SE is taking forever.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/24
BaseBuilding
Week 3 Day 1
SE 3x40 : Fail
1x40 +20 squats - 19:10

Had to take a couple of days off due to family travel. I tried pushing the RIs today, but in the middle of my second set of squats I felt super queezy. I'm gonna keep on trucking with the basebuilding and on Thursday I hope to hit 2x40, if not 3x40. I may do 2x40, then next week try for 2x50 on the second SE day.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/27
Base Building
Week 3 Day 2
Trail run/walk 31:00 2.1 miles

Switching to the AA basebuilding, as I'm feeling burned out. The trails by my house are super rocky, so it was pretty slow going.

On the two extra rest days I took, I spent some time seeing how my elbow was feeling. So on top of my rehab curls and stretches, I tried some high bar squatting. No elbow pain, so high bar it is. I also did some benching, trying to fix whatever form issues where causing anterior shoulder issues. I did 135x5x3 with the lockout lower over my shoulder with no discomfort

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/27/17
Base Building
Week 3 "day 4"

SE 3xTango :30 RI

Trying to catch up for the week. I like the Tangos better especially since I'm getting most of the reps in the first 30 seconds anyway. This way at least I'm not rest pausing singles with dubious technique for the last 5-10 reps. Also the work was done 20ish minutes, which is what I thought a metcon would be. Lower back is a little fried. Perhaps from the SLRDLs, which may be adding torsion due to the instability of the movement. I may swap those out for ketrlebell swings now that I have my fancy new DIY handle

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/28
Basebuilding
Week 1 "Day 3"

Run/Walk
5:2x5ish= 30 minutes 2.3 miles

Legs were tired from yesterday and I ran on an empty stomach. I'm caught up for the week now though.

Josh

Post by Josh »

7/30/17
Basebuilding
Week 3 Day 6

E
Run/Walk
5:2x8ish 56:54 4.4 miles

This felt great. Still avoiding those 0drop shoes - I guess I didn't give my feet the time to adapt to them.
I'm taking my family to NH for some touristy stuff. If I can get a pre dawn start I'm gonna hike up Hale Mountain and be back for breakfast