Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Todays Training

Last day of Op I/A 95%

Back Squat 120kg x2
Weighted Pullups 35kg x2
Benchpress 95kg
x 3 rounds

Bodyweight 78kg Bodyfat 10% (according to fitbit scale haha)
Today was my last day of Op I/A and I am pretty happy with the results. No issues hitting any of the weights and I was happy with the training max used. I have also picked up bjj again so was happy to still meet my standards with that added increase in training load.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of Op I/A and I basically took as many days of as needed due to work stresses between workouts. Sometimes I trained every second day and some I had as many as 3 days off between training. It worked for me and I recommend it for experienced strength athletes with other priorities. Stick with traditional operator until you are nearing your strength goals if possible though.
Max, It seems that you do well with just 3 sets of OP I/A, correct? So, one doesn't necessarily need to push volume over 5 sets to go with I/A version..
That's definitely right for me, but I do have a reasonable strength base and some hard miles on my body. Would I get better results if I did 5+ sets on all my lifts ? definitely yes, but I can achieve 80% of the job with only 3 sets. I find that I am better off plugging away at my strength work with minimum volume and saving my energy for demanding work shifts, bjj or hard HICs.

If I up the volume anywhere between 5-10 sets my strength will go way up, but I can't do anything else. I feel I am already at a reasonable strength level and more strength at the loss of other attributes is not worth it. My personal strength goals are 160 kg Back Squat(2x Bw), 120 kg Benchpress (1.5x Bw) and 50 kg Weighted Pullup (over half x BW) at 80 kg or under. I can probably meet these except the benchpress if I max out, but I plan to do a few more rounds of OP I/A and ease myself to these levels by force progressing.

This allows me to get back into bjj 2-4 times a week and also deal with shift work. I plan to add in some endurance type activities also like pack marching and rock climbing when I feel like it. I will let the bjj take care of my HIC as I find grappling harder and more relevant than sprinting and burpees. I need to do some interval work to drop my run time, but I am not really focusing on that right now.

Maxrip13

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

So I went through and worked out my OP I/A training this last cycle to see if I hit my goals and I am pretty happy. I feel that I have ticked the box pretty well for an OP I/A + Black training cycle and if I had added one more E session I would of been even happier. My fitness testing day did include the beep test which for most of it is an E session until the later levels.I need to make sure that I get that fortnightly LSD run in to maintain my base building fitness.

Overall pretty successful and I think I will force progress all lifts by 5 kg and go through again. I really enjoy Bjj as my HIC and also the freedom of taking rest days as I need. If I continue like this I will smash all my strength goals by the middle of the year without even training that hard. I still need to drop my run times down a bit also and will switch focus in a couple of months.

Total of the following from the 24 Dec 16- 26 Jan 17

Max Strength-9
HIC-7
Endurance- 1

I trained the following days-

Op I/A 75% 24 Dec 16
HIC 800m Intervals 25 Dec 16
HIC Meat eater 28 Dec 16
Op I/A 75% 30 Dec 16
E 45 Min LSD 31 Dec 16
Op I/A 75% 2 Jan 17
Bjj Gracie Combatives (HIC) 3 Jan 17
Op I/A 80 % 5 Jan 17
Bjj (HIC) 7 Jan 17
Fitness Test(HIC) / Op I/A 80 % 10 Jan 17
Op I/A 80% 13 Jan 17
Bjj (HIC) 16 Jan 17
Op I/A 85% / Bjj (HIC) evening 19 Jan 17
Op I/A 90% 22 Jan 17
Bjj (HIC) 23 Jan 17
Op I/A 95% 26 Jan 17

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Todays Training

Last day of Op I/A 95%

Back Squat 120kg x2
Weighted Pullups 35kg x2
Benchpress 95kg
x 3 rounds

Bodyweight 78kg Bodyfat 10% (according to fitbit scale haha)
Today was my last day of Op I/A and I am pretty happy with the results. No issues hitting any of the weights and I was happy with the training max used. I have also picked up bjj again so was happy to still meet my standards with that added increase in training load.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of Op I/A and I basically took as many days of as needed due to work stresses between workouts. Sometimes I trained every second day and some I had as many as 3 days off between training. It worked for me and I recommend it for experienced strength athletes with other priorities. Stick with traditional operator until you are nearing your strength goals if possible though.
Max, It seems that you do well with just 3 sets of OP I/A, correct? So, one doesn't necessarily need to push volume over 5 sets to go with I/A version..
That's definitely right for me, but I do have a reasonable strength base and some hard miles on my body. Would I get better results if I did 5+ sets on all my lifts ? definitely yes, but I can achieve 80% of the job with only 3 sets. I find that I am better off plugging away at my strength work with minimum volume and saving my energy for demanding work shifts, bjj or hard HICs.

If I up the volume anywhere between 5-10 sets my strength will go way up, but I can't do anything else. I feel I am already at a reasonable strength level and more strength at the loss of other attributes is not worth it. My personal strength goals are 160 kg Back Squat(2x Bw), 120 kg Benchpress (1.5x Bw) and 50 kg Weighted Pullup (over half x BW) at 80 kg or under. I can probably meet these except the benchpress if I max out, but I plan to do a few more rounds of OP I/A and ease myself to these levels by force progressing.

This allows me to get back into bjj 2-4 times a week and also deal with shift work. I plan to add in some endurance type activities also like pack marching and rock climbing when I feel like it. I will let the bjj take care of my HIC as I find grappling harder and more relevant than sprinting and burpees. I need to do some interval work to drop my run time, but I am not really focusing on that right now.
Thank you Max! Great points. Appreciate that.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

30 Min play Bouldering.

I have wanted to check this place out for ages and I went along to a bouldering wall some climbers had set up underneath some over passes nearby. I was expecting a single wall that was pretty ghetto with a homeless bloke or two around, but I was very pleasantly surprised. These walls were excellent and because I got there early, I had no issues parking. I plan to throw this sort of thing in for some fun as I have two weeks off work.

I really enjoyed focusing on the technique and skill required to climb properly. I have a long way to go, but it was good to not be successful by muscling things as that meant I generally fell off. I am very lucky were I live to have this sort of thing within a half hour drive.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Not my pic, but here is one of the walls. There are 2 more for a total of 3. Right near melbourne and you can see the city across the river.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

BJJ Gi Midday Session

Good little midday training as I have some time off work.
Worked on crazy dog pass and options from knee shield/leg weave.

Finished off with 5x5 min rolls

Good little BJJ session to start off my holidays. I was very cruisy and basically spent my time on the bottom defending subs. The mat fitness is coming back and I held up better than most, especially considering I was on the bottom. I caught a couple gimme sweeps and subs on a few newer people, but overall I enjoyed working on defence. It's all slowly coming back, but I was never that good so I have a long way to go.

I will probably do my first day of my new cycle of OP I/A tomorrow. I will be doing a small force progression on my squat and maybe stick with the last cycles bench and pullup weights.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Op I/A 75% (force progress squat and maintain other lifts)

Back Squat 100 kg 3x5

Benchpress 75 kg x5
Weighted Pullup 20 kg x5

x 3 rounds

Back into Op I/A as I didn't really feel like I needed too much time off. I have force progressed the squat by 5 kg each percentage and will maintain the bench and pullup numbers. I plan to do 4-5 rounds on the bench and pullups depending on training load the day before/after. I had some shoulder pain so I stuck to 3 rounds today.

Squat felt easy as my body warmed up and same with the benchpress until the shoulder tweaked on the last rep of the second set. The pullups feel ridiculously easy with the 20 kg vest and I think I may use my next OP I/A to see how many reps I can get with the vest added. I might use the fighter pullup program and do it weighted for some extra fun.

I am planning to go along to wrestling tomorrow night and that usually wipes me out completely. I will definitely tick off a HIC if I do. If thats the case the day after will either be an easy LSD or full recovery day.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Maxrip13 wrote: If I continue like this I will smash all my strength goals by the middle of the year without even training that hard.
This is awesome.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Today Training

1hr Bjj No gi
Working On knee through pass and hook sweep.
3 min rolling rounds for 4 rounds or so.

1hr Wrestling
Worked on arm drag, body lock take down and holding people down one armed.
Worked on double leg
3 x 3 min rounds of wrestling.

No gi and wrestling are my favourite and it was great to be back on the mat doing both. I have some nice bruises from the knee thru passes to look forward to tomorrow. The conditioning held up pretty well due to the lower amount of grappling rounds, but it was great to drill double legs for a good 10 mins to refresh. I think I will have to try and get along to these classes regularly.

The body is feeling good so far and tomorrow may become a Max strength day. If I am feeling a bit run down I may go for an LSD run to stretch things out.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Back Squat 100kg 3x5
Benchpress 75kg 4x5
Weighted Pullup 20kg 4x5

I was able to get todays session done, but in hindsight I should of taken it as a recovery day. I struggled more than I should of on all lifts and I was more affected by last nights wrestling than I thought. I will be taking tomorrow off all training and I may just do some foam rolling or something along those lines.

I was able to get the extra set on my bench and pullups in which was a positive to come out of today. Looking forward to the day off though I am itching for an LSD run sometime soon. I may do a run and also BJJ on saturday if the body is feeling up to it.