J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A, Block 1, Wave 1, 8/9 (85%)
SQ: 340/3x5
WPU: 35/3x5
OHP: 155/3x5

Just a small volume reduction and no extras. After a tough conditioning session yesterday, BJJ tomorrow, and 90% on Friday, I thought a little step back was in order.

On a related note, you might notice that I haven't been using the "Easy Week" principle, according to which you reduce your conditioning load by 50% during your heavy week of lifting. In most cases, the principle should be adhered too, but also note that I take a complete deload from lifting (and a deep reduction of conditioning) at the end of each three-week wave. If you schedule mandatory back-offs like that, you can get away with pushing the volume just a little bit.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BJJ -- lots of takedown work. Fun!!!!

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd, I remember reading that you were previously not using a belt and now you are. Just curious when you are using a belt. Is it for all work sets? Is it above a certain percentage? Is it based on feel?

What I am doing right now is strapping on the belt when I get at or above 85%. What I found this week was that 85% with a belt was significantly easier than 80% without a belt.

Just curious what you are doing. Thanks.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A, Block 1, Wave 2, 9/9 (90%)
SQ: 360/3 x 3
WPU: 50/3x6
OHP: 165/3x5
DL: 400/3x2

There it is, a complete block of OP I/A. I left a lot of squats in the tank today, since I wanted to give the DL some love. Regarding the DL, I'm in a holding pattern. If I can do a couple casual triples with 80% of a 500lb t-max, then I'm reasonably certain that I could pull it together and train up to a 550+ DL in a block or two. I'm happy having my DL right in that neighborhood.

I'm not quite sure about my next move. Next week is my mandatory black-off, but two weeks from tomorrow I have a BJJ tournament. I'm not sure whether it pays to start a new block until after the tournament, since I'll want a few recovery days before and after taking a beating in public!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote:J-Madd, I remember reading that you were previously not using a belt and now you are. Just curious when you are using a belt. Is it for all work sets? Is it above a certain percentage? Is it based on feel?

What I am doing right now is strapping on the belt when I get at or above 85%. What I found this week was that 85% with a belt was significantly easier than 80% without a belt.

I basically use my best for all working sets on SQ and DL (so 70-75% on up). I might push that up a bit (80%), depending on how heavy the weights are.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd wrote:
mikhou wrote:J-Madd, I remember reading that you were previously not using a belt and now you are. Just curious when you are using a belt. Is it for all work sets? Is it above a certain percentage? Is it based on feel?

I basically use my best for all working sets on SQ and DL (so 70-75% on up). I might push that up a bit (80%), depending on how heavy the weights are.
Just curious if you could lay out your reasoning a bit from going beltless to a belt on all working sets. So far I like what I'm doing (belted at 85% or higher). That seems to help strengthen my back when lifting at 70-80% and to give it a bit of help when lifting at 85% or higher.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

mikhou wrote: Just curious if you could lay out your reasoning a bit from going beltless to a belt on all working sets. So far I like what I'm doing (belted at 85% or higher). That seems to help strengthen my back when lifting at 70-80% and to give it a bit of help when lifting at 85% or higher.
You overestimated how much reasoning there is going on here! This is really just the force of old habits. When I was much bigger and still powerlifting, I put the belt on at 405, whatever the percentage of my 1RM. When I became a considerably smaller animal, I basically started putting the belt on at 315. Right now, on the squat 75% of my training max is in the 315 neighborhood, so it feels "natural" to me putting it on at that point. I have to admit, I never really got the groove for squatting and deadlifting without the belt, so it was sort of a relief to revert back. Yesterday on the DL I put the belt on when I got to 365 (which was actually my last warm-up).

Keep in mind, I do a lot of heavy swings, weighted Plank & Shank, and farmer carries, so I get a fair amount of unsupported back and core work over and above my SQ and DL. If I didn't have those elements in my mix, I would probably play a little more without the belt. I also occasionally switch FSQ with SQ in my cluster, and I have never used a belt for FSQ. That will also give me a chance to work a bit on my core/back.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

J-Madd, thanks for the reply. It's helpful to know that it's more about feel for you than anything.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BJJ - Open mat. I rolled three matches. It was a good workout.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BJJ practice. It was sort of a light day.