J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

BJJ practice. Lots of live rolling. This was a great, touch practice. Tournament time is near!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I'm posting this not because I'm particularly concerned about the issue that Wendler is addressing, but because this is a great piece of good thinking that can apply across the full spectrum of your training and diet (and much else too!): https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler ... ted-cardio

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

J-Madd wrote:I'm posting this not because I'm particularly concerned about the issue that Wendler is addressing, but because this is a great piece of good thinking that can apply across the full spectrum of your training and diet (and much else too!): https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler ... ted-cardio

Awesome post/article. I can always get behind Jim Wendler's knowledge and wisdom. Smart dude.
Get after it!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I did some testing today on my OHP and WPU. Here's a little video summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlH2hcUXUI

I've wanted to be completely open with this log, so I thought it good to put a video of a day that was really a mixed bag for me. When I pre-tested, I hit 180x2, and today I got 180x3. I'll take that improvement, but those first three reps really felt like I was going somewhere great before I stalled on number 4. I got the 40KG on the chin-up with what felt like it could've been a triple. I went for an all-time PR tie with the 48KG, and I just miss getting my chin to the bar. I then took about a minute break and maxed my bodyweight reps. I was pretty smoked after the heavy pulling, and things started to come apart on reps 17-19. I missed the bar completely on attempt 20, so I shut it down. Oh well, it was sort of a dumb stunt to try to max my WPU and PU reps back to back like that.

Not a great test day, but good enough. I'm pretty confident that after another bloc I'll be chinning the Beast again.

By the way, when training I do my pull-ups to my neck or chest, but when I test I just get my chin over the bar.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I did some testing today on my OHP and WPU. Here's a little video summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlH2hcUXUI

I've wanted to be completely open with this log, so I thought it good to put a video of a day that was really a mixed bag for me. When I pre-tested, I hit 180x2, and today I got 180x3. I'll take that improvement, but those first three reps really felt like I was going somewhere great before I stalled on number 4. I got the 40KG on the chin-up with what felt like it could've been a triple. I went for an all-time PR tie with the 48KG, and I just miss getting my chin to the bar. I then took about a minute break and maxed my bodyweight reps. I was pretty smoked after the heavy pulling, and things started to come apart on reps 17-19. I missed the bar completely on attempt 20, so I shut it down. Oh well, it was sort of a dumb stunt to try to max my WPU and PU reps back to back like that.

Not a great test day, but good enough. I'm pretty confident that after another bloc I'll be chinning the Beast again.

By the way, when training I do my pull-ups to my neck or chest, but when I test I just get my chin over the bar.

Interesting grip on pull-ups.. I do it on opposite side as angled chins facing wider side: so it is \/ for me.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote: Interesting grip on pull-ups.. I do it on opposite side as angled chins facing wider side: so it is \/ for me.
Probably because that is how I have always trained, but I think I handle more weight and do more/better reps on a regular straight bar, overhand grip. Since I got the multi-grip bar last month, however, I have found that at the /\ grip feels the best on my elbows. I split my reps when training between the straight grip and the angled grip evenly, but I'm going to start favoring the wedge grip and doing my testing from that angle.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote: Interesting grip on pull-ups.. I do it on opposite side as angled chins facing wider side: so it is \/ for me.
Probably because that is how I have always trained, but I think I handle more weight and do more/better reps on a regular straight bar, overhand grip. Since I got the multi-grip bar last month, however, I have found that at the /\ grip feels the best on my elbows. I split my reps when training between the straight grip and the angled grip evenly, but I'm going to start favoring the wedge grip and doing my testing from that angle.
I don't see the option to do || parallel grip on your new bar.. || is the safest bet. I cycle between || and \/ usually. Shoulder safety... :?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

61 min LSS run. I ran out of daylight, so I had to throw a route together on the flay (trying to stay on lit streets), but this probably came in right around seven miles.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Nicely done, man! I really enjoy your videos and I just subscribed. Keep them coming. Looks like a cool home gym you got there, too. Nicely done.
Get after it!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This was pretty stupid, but I had to try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xT3WkPNlY