Green2Blue TB Log

Barkadion

Re: Green2Blue TB Log

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:I add them only because some days you just feel better than others, and I want to take advantage of that.
How about bonus reps but still keeping shy of failure?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:I add them only because some days you just feel better than others, and I want to take advantage of that.
Changing reps changes the purpose of the exercise. At 70% I might be able to crank out 20 reps. But then that's no longer strength, that's muscular endurance. That's why TB has very specific rep schemes, but flexibility on sets. I'm still staying within the Op I/A scheme which is 3-10 on most weeks.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Changing reps changes the purpose of the exercise. At 70% I might be able to crank out 20 reps. But then that's no longer strength, that's muscular endurance. That's why TB has very specific rep schemes, but flexibility on sets. I'm still staying within the Op I/A scheme which is 3-10 on most weeks.
Yes, you are right. That was a bad call :lol:

KS-90

Post by KS-90 »

Green2Blue wrote:10/22/16
HIC: 400m Intervals
1:26
1:29
1:28
1:27
1:23
1:30
1:25
1:39

2 minute rests

Warmed up and cooled down with .5 mile light run
Hey man,

Something I have noticed with myself when running intervals is that when I open up with a really fast first rep it tends to make all my other reps suffer significantly (also mentally each interval seems harder). I have had a couple of sessions where I smoke the first one and then the second interval is significantly slower. I find opening up a bit slower then picking up the pace at the end seems to work better.

I would say it is a pretty safe bet you can hit 1:29 for the first four then you can try and hit 1:27 or 1:28 on number five. Then for the last rep psyche yourself up and run as hard as you can as it's the last one and you can lay in a pile at the end anyway. Then if you hit something like 1:20 on your last rep you can use that mentally next time and maybe go for 1:29, 1:28, 1:28,... as you know you can crush out a 1:20 after running five intervals before that.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

KS-90 wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:10/22/16
1:28
1:23
1:39

2 minute rests

Warmed up and cooled down with .5 mile light run
Hey man,

Something I have noticed with myself when running intervals is that when I open up with a really fast first rep it tends to make all my other reps suffer significantly (also mentally each interval seems harder). I have had a couple of sessions where I smoke the first one and then the second interval is significantly slower. I find opening up a bit slower then picking up the pace at the end seems to work better.

I would say it is a pretty safe bet you can hit 1:29 for the first four then you can try and hit 1:27 or 1:28 on number five. Then for the last rep psyche yourself up and run as hard as you can as it's the last one and you can lay in a pile at the end anyway. Then if you hit something like 1:20 on your last rep you can use that mentally next time and maybe go for 1:29, 1:28, 1:28,... as you know you can crush out a 1:20 after running five intervals before that.
He's back! Thanks for the input as always. Ya I didn't intentionally run it that fast, I just don't have markets on that track so it's tough to pace. I'm running it again tonight so we'll see.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Two random notes:

1. For those who follow my log, you might know that I struggled with a lot of things in my last block. One of the big things I've done is upped my caloric intake from 2500 to 2750, I might even go higher. I was inspired by a Barbell Shrugged podcast where the guest speaker went into how most of the athletes he worked with were eating too little calories. So far the increase has been very effective. I suggest you check out the Eat To Perform app to find out your caloric needs. It's amazing how many more calories I burn doing TB than I did with traditional programs.

2. I set a new goal today. I want to be able to do handstand walks in my duty gear.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:Two random notes:

1. For those who follow my log, you might know that I struggled with a lot of things in my last block. One of the big things I've done is upped my caloric intake from 2500 to 2750, I might even go higher. I was inspired by a Barbell Shrugged podcast where the guest speaker went into how most of the athletes he worked with were eating too little calories. So far the increase has been very effective. I suggest you check out the Eat To Perform app to find out your caloric needs. It's amazing how many more calories I burn doing TB than I did with traditional programs.

2. I set a new goal today. I want to be able to do handstand walks in my duty gear.
Very true on#1. I have stopped counting once stumbled in the beginng of my BB. I increased the calories by almost 1K. No jokes and it helped. I am just eating to my training/needs now. Works for me. I don't feel shy with carbs anymore.

Good luck with #2. Sounds like a very cool goal!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

10/30/16
Conditioning (Black Pro)
Block 5

2 minute rests

Warmed up with .5 mile light run

Notes
-Much better than last week. Thanks KS90!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

10/31/16
Strength (Operator I/A)
Block 5

Primary Lifts (80% Training Max)

SQ 5x5@350 lbs
BP 3x5@190 lbs
WPU 3x5@85 lbs

Accessory Lifts

OHP 8-12
Facepulls 8-12
x3

Notes
-It was just one of those days I didn't feel like being in the gym. I just went through the motions. Makes me grateful for TB's sub-maximal approach.

-Tried barbell OHP for the first time in years. Loved it. I'm thinking of doing a secondary cluster next block with safety squats, OHP, pendlay rows, and power cleans.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

11/01/16
Conditioning (Black Pro)
Block 5

HIC: Tempo Run

20 mins at 90% HR
Average RPE: 8

Notes
-Been building to this for weeks now. I was nervous, but I hit it with no problem.