Grouchyjarhead Training

grouchyjarhead

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by grouchyjarhead »

GORUCK Tough - Mogadishu Mile complete. 12 hours long, over 19 miles covered, about 5 or 6 PT stops, several team weights to be carried, two heavy logs, one dip in the river, and our own personal Mogadishu Mile as we had to CASEVAC several members of the class and all their gear about two miles in the final hour. This was a grinder but a hell of a lot of fun.

I may be taking tomorrow off...

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

A few pics from the event.

20171004:
Quick little ruck around the neighborhood to blow the stink of. Walked the dog for 1.2 miles in about 30 minutes. Bumped up the weight, now I'll be using 40# for a while (eventually going to 45#). Traps still sore but after some foam rolling and trigger point work it felt a bit better.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:A few pics from the event.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2wbyq8z.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/30csinm.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rzx7xj.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/ekn78x.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/mauedh.jpg

20171004:
Quick little ruck around the neighborhood to blow the stink of. Walked the dog for 1.2 miles in about 30 minutes. Bumped up the weight, now I'll be using 40# for a while (eventually going to 45#). Traps still sore but after some foam rolling and trigger point work it felt a bit better.
Pics are cool! 2nd one is my favorite :) no smiles!!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Barkadion wrote:Pics are cool! 2nd one is my favorite :) no smiles!!
More smiles in some other pictures (I was called out for smiling the whole time actually), but some of these were definitely "poopy face" moments.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Awesome stuff Grouchy! GoRucks look badass.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Pretty fun stuff G2B, always worth a go if you see an opportunity.

20171007:
10 mile mountain ruck in the AM, super hilly trail about 30 minutes north of me. It was a bit tough today - not sure if it's still some residual fatigue from last week or if it can be attributed to my recent dietary changes (long story short - family history of celiac and other GI issues, so I'm currently going ketogenic to adapt to a high fat/moderate protein/low carb diet - so far it has been working very well for me). Still got the work in. 30# plus water.

In the PM, got suckered into a deck of cards workout with the wife and a friend. I was working on a school project with the boys, so I didn't join in until about halfway through. Approximately 50 reps of each exercise: ruck push-ups, ruck thrusters, four count flutterkicks with ruck extended overhead, and ruck swings.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

12 week block of Fighter (using linear progression for now) + Black Pro starting this Monday. Set up in 3 week intervals. I want to get my MS and running up a bit while still keeping some ruck miles under my feet since I'm in my "off season" I guess you could call it.

WEEKS 1 & 2.
Monday - Max Strength in AM.
Tuesday - Simple and Sinister in AM, 600m Repeats in PM.
Wednesday - Max Strength in AM.
Thursday - Apex Hills in AM, boxing skill work in PM (optional).
Friday - Off/active rest.
Saturday - Short ruck march (4-6 miles) with ruck PT either before or after. Ruck weight going up to 45#.
Sunday - Off/active rest.

WEEK 3.
Tuesday - Black on Oxygen in PM.
Wednesday - Recovery day (boxing skill work if feeling froggy - optional).
Thursday - Max Strength in AM, Simple and Sinister in PM.
Saturday - Long ruck march (8-12 miles) with 45#.

Core work will be thrown in as either Turkish get-ups or my current core routine (mostly static holds and the like influenced by Stu McGill).

travman

Post by travman »

grouchyjarhead wrote:12 week block of Fighter (using linear progression for now) + Black Pro starting this Monday. Set up in 3 week intervals. I want to get my MS and running up a bit while still keeping some ruck miles under my feet since I'm in my "off season" I guess you could call it.

WEEKS 1 & 2.
Tuesday - Simple and Sinister in AM, 600m Repeats in PM.
Wednesday - Max Strength in AM.
Thursday - Apex Hills in AM, boxing skill work in PM (optional).
Saturday - Short ruck march (4-6 miles) with ruck PT either before or after. Ruck weight going up to 45#.

WEEK 3.
Tuesday - Black on Oxygen in PM.
Wednesday - Recovery day (boxing skill work if feeling froggy - optional).
Thursday - Max Strength in AM, Simple and Sinister in PM.
Saturday - Long ruck march (8-12 miles) with 45#.

Core work will be thrown in as either Turkish get-ups or my current core routine (mostly static holds and the like influenced by Stu McGill).

Quick question on the boxing skill work. Are you doing just pad work, shadowing boxing? Something that you make up? I am curious because I have always wanted to get into boxing but can't afford the gym membership at the moment.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Footwork drills, heavy bag combinations, shadow boxing, and focus mitts whenever I can con the wife to hold them for me. Primarily footwork drills to start, reps on the heavy bag rather than rounds, and some shadow boxing at the end. Nothing strenuous, just quality reps.

travman

Post by travman »

Got it, thanks Grouchy!