Nick's Log

grouchyjarhead

Re: Nick's Log

Post by grouchyjarhead »

For me personally, I've found 5 work sets per exercise is a lot when running a lot or with a lot of outside activities (e.g. unit PT in your case). 3 work sets seemed to be a lot more ideal and prevented me from feeling beat up. If you don't want to do all out with that, maybe on your Zulu + run day you could try the 3 work sets and then run after, see how you feel.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Grouchy-

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. That's not a bad idea, dropping to 3 sets. I really dread doing cardio/HIC following lifting, so I'll give this a shot.

I guess the real question is, what would I be losing by not doing those last two sets? If I can still force-progress 5-10lbs every cycle with 3 sets + conditioning, then really, haven't I gotten as strong as I would have with 5 sets?
The wind calls your name; get out of your bed.

Nick

Post by Nick »

This morning:

Unit Morale Run, 3.25 miles, 30 minutes. Felt really good.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Nick wrote:Grouchy-

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. That's not a bad idea, dropping to 3 sets. I really dread doing cardio/HIC following lifting, so I'll give this a shot.

I guess the real question is, what would I be losing by not doing those last two sets? If I can still force-progress 5-10lbs every cycle with 3 sets + conditioning, then really, haven't I gotten as strong as I would have with 5 sets?
That's my philosophy as well. Figuring out the minimum strength training I need to get the benefits I want while still having the time/energy to be well rounded for everything else.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Today:

Zulu 1.4

Chins (BW) 5x5
OHP (115) 5x5
Deads (265) 5x5

No conditioning, no abs.

Tomorrow, gonna start combining weights/conditioning into one session.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Rough couple of days, gym-wise.

6 OCT19, Zulu 2.1

WPU (BW + 5lbs) 5x5
Bench (210lbs) 4 sets of 5 reps, last set I only got 3 reps
Squat (240lbs) 5x5

This workout felt horrible. The weights felt heavy, and the sets felt long. Had every intention of doing HIC afterward, but I didnt.

Night of 6 OCT, I had overnight duty. Had to go in to work on 7 OCT for a meeting, but other than that, spent most of the day napping or in a fog. I hate overnights because the lack of sleep screws with me for 3-4 days afterward.

8 OCT19

Zulu 2.2

Holy crap, this went poorly.

WPU (BW + 5lbs) 5x5
OHP (130lbs) 5x5
Deads (300lbs) one set of 5 reps, and I bailed. Felt stiff and weak. That muscle running down the inside of your leg and my hamstring on the left side totally froze up. Very painful.

Bummer.

Upper body felt good, though. I think maybe I just need to make sure I warm up better. I'm never the most flexable guy and I'm even tighter in the morning.

Nick

Post by Nick »

I was so pissed off by this morning's session, I snuck out this afternoon to finish it off:

Deadlifts: 300lbs, 4 sets of 5 reps

HIC: Ross' "Magic 50"

5x L/R, KB Snatches, 35lbs
5x L/R, KB Swings, 53lbs
10x Burpees
1 min rest
5x rounds

I didn't time it because I forgot to.

Deads felt fine. I think I just need to do a better job warming up and hydrating in the morning before I hit Squats and Deads. Toying with committing heresy and doing HIC/LSS prior to lifting IOT be all warmed up prior lifting.

Magic 50 also felt pretty good. I probably could have gone heavier on the snatches.

Nick

Post by Nick »

9 OCT, HIC:

Another of Ross' workouts;

4x800 meters
4x50 meters

800s were from 3:50-3:58. Rested about 90 sec between reps
Didn't time the 50's. Rested the time it took to walk back to the start.

Thoughts: all distances are estimated. 800 meter course was marked off outside my house with my GPS watch, 50 meters marked off with my land nav pace count. Both start at my mailbox. I also have a 400m course that starts there.

I'm going to choose to believe that the 800 meter course is a little long...

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Nick wrote:9 OCT, HIC:

Another of Ross' workouts;

4x800 meters
4x50 meters

800s were from 3:50-3:58. Rested about 90 sec between reps
Didn't time the 50's. Rested the time it took to walk back to the start.

Thoughts: all distances are estimated. 800 meter course was marked off outside my house with my GPS watch, 50 meters marked off with my land nav pace count. Both start at my mailbox. I also have a 400m course that starts there.

I'm going to choose to believe that the 800 meter course is a little long...
How is that set? 4 max out sprints of 800m following by 4 max out sprints of 50m? Or 800m is more of a jog?

Thanks.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Nick

Post by Nick »

Bark-

Both the 800s and the 50s I ran as fast as I could. So, do all 4x 800s, resting 90 sec between each one, then all 4x 50s, with the rest being walking back to the start.

I really thing that my 800m course is long. My ego wont let me believe those times...