Grouchyjarhead Training

nickgoldma

Re: Grouchyjarhead Training

Post by nickgoldma »

DOMS?

grouchyjarhead wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:You
beast.
Not gonna lie, had a good bit of DOMS after that session.

20171213:
Sandbag workout. Starting to like these. Short but sweet workout with 60# sandbag.

10-1 descending ladder of push ups to drags, cleans, and front squats. Total of 55 each in 22:04.

I liked the push ups to drags, first time trying them out. According to the wife I do them the "hard way" (I thought this was the right way to do it, but she showed me otherwise). After I do the push-up, I use the arm on the same side of the sandbag to drag it through, then basically lateral bear crawl around it to do it on the other side. Apparently most folks just pull it through with the other hand and leave it at that. The cleans and front squats were good.

Definitely plan on devoting a consistent strength-endurance day to sandbag work next block.
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

nickgoldma wrote:DOMS?
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Basically the next day you feel soreness in the muscles you worked you didn't feel the day before.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Hi20171206:
Fitness testing day. U.S. Army PFT.

**Push-Ups, max in 2 min: 78 (-2 from last time). 100 points.
**Sit-Ups, max in 2 min: 66 (-2 from last time). 88 points.
**Timed 2 Mile Run: 16:29 (-49 sec from last time). 71 points.

Total score for Army PFT is 259/300.

Some thoughts:
(1) I have basically done no push ups outside of the occasional ruck PT session and I only lost two reps. Like my problem in the military, my pacing is off. I did over 50 of those push-ups in the first minute then spend a lot of time in the front leaning rest cranking out the last ones.

(2) I have basically also done no sit ups due to my lower back issues. So between the swings, deadlifts, McGill core circuit, and rucking it is still staying strong in this movement. That's good for me as I need to avoid training it with any regularity for right now.

(3) The medium distance sprints are paying off. I've been slacking a bit on some of them (my training has been off-kilter since Bellbrook Ohio) but it's definitely improving my 2 mile time. This one felt harder than the last one I did on October 14th but I got it done.

So overall not bad at all.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Hi20171206:
Fitness testing day. U.S. Army PFT.

**Push-Ups, max in 2 min: 78 (-2 from last time). 100 points.
**Sit-Ups, max in 2 min: 66 (-2 from last time). 88 points.
**Timed 2 Mile Run: 16:29 (-49 sec from last time). 71 points.

Total score for Army PFT is 259/300.

Some thoughts:
(1) I have basically done no push ups outside of the occasional ruck PT session and I only lost two reps. Like my problem in the military, my pacing is off. I did over 50 of those push-ups in the first minute then spend a lot of time in the front leaning rest cranking out the last ones.

(2) I have basically also done no sit ups due to my lower back issues. So between the swings, deadlifts, McGill core circuit, and rucking it is still staying strong in this movement. That's good for me as I need to avoid training it with any regularity for right now.

(3) The medium distance sprints are paying off. I've been slacking a bit on some of them (my training has been off-kilter since Bellbrook Ohio) but it's definitely improving my 2 mile time. This one felt harder than the last one I did on October 14th but I got it done.

So overall not bad at all.
Just genuinely curious if there is any good/general standards on the score based on age?

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Here are the minimums/maximums per age group.

http://www.apft-standards.com/

I typically try to go one category younger (in this case, 32-36). 27-31 is the most demanding.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Here are the minimums/maximums per age group.

http://www.apft-standards.com/

I typically try to go one category younger (in this case, 32-36). 27-31 is the most demanding.
Thank you!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171219:
Final week of linear progression. Next week is a recovery week and then I start 10 weeks of standard Green protocol before the next GORUCKs. I will be doing both the Tough and the Light in one weekend. So a 12-hour overnight event, about 5 hours off, and then a six-hour event. All cold weather too so I'm not sure how I feel about that yet...

**Pull-Ups BW+10 x5/5/5. During the second and third sets I had to hop down and shake it off real quick to finish.
**Dips BW+20 x5/5/5. Pretty easy to be honest.
**Sumo Deadlifts 235x5. Still feeling pretty strong.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171220:
800m run to warm up.

BOO - 5 rounds. Total of 4000m and 150 one arm swings with 24kg. Pleased with that.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171221:
Estimated 1 rep max test day. I don't recommend doing it in the same week with little rest if you want a truly accurate measurement. In my particular case I just want to get the numbers to start my transition to Fighter and I'm going to be busy all next week so I don't mind losing a little bit. Training max in parentheses next to it

(Body weight 195 pounds)
Pull-Ups 242 (BW+47) (TM = 215)
Dips 263 (BW+68) (TM = 235)
Sumo Deadlift 300 (TM = 270. Probably still being very conservative with this but I'm okay with that.)

Ruck + PT this weekend then a recovery week.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

20171230:
Quick 4 mile "fun ruck" with occasional breaks for push-ups and squats with the ruck on my back. 45# ruck, finished in about 1:19. It was cold and the snow was thick so it was a good test of my winter gear.