Today - Max Strength day (DL)

mikhou

Re: mikhou's training log

Post by mikhou »

HIC #23. Meat Eater III

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Max Strength Day (OHP and weighted chin-ups)

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Yesterday - Rest day

Today - Max Strength Day (SQ) - Why do I do this to myself? I've made better long term sustainable strength gains on TB than any other program. Now to be fair I'd never given a program where you hit the main compound movement once/week ala 5/3/1 a real chance because I've always done full body work. That is until 2 weeks ago. I decided to try something different. It's not 5/3/1 but it's very 5/3/1-esque. In fairness, I think that this other program would build tremendous work capacity. But today, I went to lift for 3 reps what I did 5 sets of 2 reps on Op I/A 2 weeks ago, and I struggled to get 1 rep. Could it have been a bad day? Sure. But there's something to be said for "practicing" strength. I've got an E run scheduled for tomorrow, and then I've got to travel for work for 10 days. When I get back, I'm going to retest my maxes and then restart an Op I/A cycle.

Hillside HoneyBadger

Post by Hillside HoneyBadger »

Hi Mikhou, I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking for a while. I'm also on the EO3 forums, and I thought I recognised the username. I'm currently using OMOB with SQ, BP, DL, OHP but I'll soon be starting Operator so that I can get more conditioning in my plan. I'm begrudgingly thinking of dropping OHP, and you're "rule" no. 5 that you set out in the beginning of your log about switching between BP & OHP has intrigued me - how did that work out for you? Would you recommend it, or did you find that your progress with OHP went too far backwards when you concentrated on BP and vice versa?

Any feedback welcome.

I've copied your rule below for reference :

5. My plan (and tell me if this doesn't make sense) is to do forced progression until I can't hit my reps anymore. Then I'll switch BP for OHP, start OHP at a 90%TM and do the same (force progression until I can't progress anymore). Then I'll switch back to BP. When I can't hit WCU reps, I'll switch to either bodyweight work or weighted pull-ups, progress awhile, and then switch back. I'll keep SQ and DL in the cluster and just reset them as needed

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

HH, that has worked very well for me. I haven't lost any strength doing that, and overall I feel more "well rounded" in doing so. Another option that I have run is using Op I/A from the 2nd Edition. Even though KB superceded that with 3rd edition, I like to run the 2nd edition version mixed in with 3rd edition because it allows me to use a larger cluster.

BTW, I'm sure that OMOB and 5/3/1-easque programs work well for a lot of people, but even in the first/only cycle that I ran of OMOB, I missed doing frequency work. What I found was that when I tried to put a heavy load on my back, while I felt very fresh, I was so "unused" to the load only having done it once per week that I struggled with it. Just my $.02. They both seem to be great programs, but I think I'll stick with the higher frequency of TB.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

mikhou wrote: BTW, I'm sure that OMOB and 5/3/1-easque programs work well for a lot of people, but even in the first/only cycle that I ran of OMOB, I missed doing frequency work. What I found was that when I tried to put a heavy load on my back, while I felt very fresh, I was so "unused" to the load only having done it once per week that I struggled with it. Just my $.02. They both seem to be great programs, but I think I'll stick with the higher frequency of TB.
This x 100. You put into words what I experience when I go back and try more conventional programs. Forget other programs, I can't even do Fighter. That 3x week frequency has spoiled me.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Hillside HoneyBadger wrote:Hi Mikhou, I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking for a while. I'm also on the EO3 forums, and I thought I recognised the username. I'm currently using OMOB with SQ, BP, DL, OHP but I'll soon be starting Operator so that I can get more conditioning in my plan. I'm begrudgingly thinking of dropping OHP, and you're "rule" no. 5 that you set out in the beginning of your log about switching between BP & OHP has intrigued me - how did that work out for you? Would you recommend it, or did you find that your progress with OHP went too far backwards when you concentrated on BP and vice versa?

Any feedback welcome.

I've copied your rule below for reference :

5. My plan (and tell me if this doesn't make sense) is to do forced progression until I can't hit my reps anymore. Then I'll switch BP for OHP, start OHP at a 90%TM and do the same (force progression until I can't progress anymore). Then I'll switch back to BP. When I can't hit WCU reps, I'll switch to either bodyweight work or weighted pull-ups, progress awhile, and then switch back. I'll keep SQ and DL in the cluster and just reset them as needed
Welcome to the forum! In addition to Mikhou's plan, here's another option that'll allow you to bench and OH press every week:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/fobbits- ... ng-part-i/

Option #1 in particular.

Hillside HoneyBadger

Post by Hillside HoneyBadger »

mikhou wrote:HH, that has worked very well for me. I haven't lost any strength doing that, and overall I feel more "well rounded" in doing so. Another option that I have run is using Op I/A from the 2nd Edition. Even though KB superceded that with 3rd edition, I like to run the 2nd edition version mixed in with 3rd edition because it allows me to use a larger cluster.

BTW, I'm sure that OMOB and 5/3/1-easque programs work well for a lot of people, but even in the first/only cycle that I ran of OMOB, I missed doing frequency work. What I found was that when I tried to put a heavy load on my back, while I felt very fresh, I was so "unused" to the load only having done it once per week that I struggled with it. Just my $.02. They both seem to be great programs, but I think I'll stick with the higher frequency of TB.
Thanks for the reply mikhou. I'm pretty sure I'll give this a go.

OMOB definitely works for some people, as TB works for some people. Different strokes for different folks and all that! There are a few guys on the EO3 site that have tried the TB strength programmes and they speak highly of it, and more than a few speak highly of the TB2 conditioning book. Kudos to you for trying something different, but at least you know for sure what works for you and what your preference is.

Again, thanks for your repy