J-Madd's Training Log

J-Madd

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote: How do you feel about doing DL as your last move?
In Operator, I keep the DL as my third lift following SQ and whatever pressing I'm doing. I don't feel energized after DLing in the same way that I do after I squat. I also want to have a little breather between my squats and deadlifts, so that makes it the natural third lift. Generally, I find that after I deadlift, I'm pretty much done for the day. Your thoughts?
I am going back and forth with idea of having DL as a very first move with 1 set for every workout of OP. Using conservative TM.

So it would look like:

DL, 1 set
RI, 3-5min
SQ, #sets
RI, 2-3min
BP, #sets
RI, 2-3min
WPU, #sets
RI, 2-3min

More or less..I haven't decided if I go this road. But I'm tempted.. I think it might work well..

I'd have to force myself to do DL as the last exercise and I might not be able to pull at my best.

Just some thoughts...
So you would do DL+SQ+BP+WPU in a circuit (with the appropriate rest periods), but after round on the DL drops out? Very cool idea. I might change the order so that that the DL and SQ aren't back-to-back.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
In Operator, I keep the DL as my third lift following SQ and whatever pressing I'm doing. I don't feel energized after DLing in the same way that I do after I squat. I also want to have a little breather between my squats and deadlifts, so that makes it the natural third lift. Generally, I find that after I deadlift, I'm pretty much done for the day. Your thoughts?
I am going back and forth with idea of having DL as a very first move with 1 set for every workout of OP. Using conservative TM.

So it would look like:

DL, 1 set
RI, 3-5min
SQ, #sets
RI, 2-3min
BP, #sets
RI, 2-3min
WPU, #sets
RI, 2-3min

More or less..I haven't decided if I go this road. But I'm tempted.. I think it might work well..

I'd have to force myself to do DL as the last exercise and I might not be able to pull at my best.

Just some thoughts...
So you would do DL+SQ+BP+WPU in a circuit (with the appropriate rest periods), but after round on the DL drops out? Very cool idea. I might change the order so that that the DL and SQ aren't back-to-back.
Right. That's the idea.. I also think it would work best with front squats. I might try it for my next block. I think 1 set of DL wouldn't stress me for too much and It will certainly be great "warm up" for the whole body.. But the reality might be different...
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tonight: 90 min of judo/jujitsu practice. Good session. I took a righteous beatdown from a brown belt in several rounds of freestyle judo! ;)

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

J-Madd wrote:Tonight: 90 min of judo/jujitsu practice. Good session. I took a righteous beatdown from a brown belt in several rounds of freestyle judo! ;)

What belt are you? I'm a white belt with 2 stripes plugging away and getting after it.
Get after it!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

SQ: 320/5x5
OHP: 145/5x5
WPU: BW+20/5x5
Farmer carry: 85lbs dumbells/100yd-ish x 2

Solid session. I actually felt good today after last night's hard practice. I'm now into double digits for the week for my total set volume for each exercise, so whatever I do Friday is in the "bonus round."

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

nickgoldma wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Tonight: 90 min of judo/jujitsu practice. Good session. I took a righteous beatdown from a brown belt in several rounds of freestyle judo! ;)

What belt are you? I'm a white belt with 2 stripes plugging away and getting after it.
I actually got promoted to green belt last night. My son and I go to what is probably best described as a freestyle judo club (Shingitai). One instructor is a blackbelt in Judo and Aikido and the other is a brown belt in Judo and a purple belt in BJJ. We do an even mix of stand-up judo and BJJ groundfighting. Our belt rank system goes yellow-green-blue-brown (multiple degrees)-black (multiple degrees). I have no idea where this style ranks among others (and I think the founders a pretty controversial) more pure styles. This is just the club most readily available to us. The only competition I've done, however, has been BJJ.

Once my son is finished with soccer for the season, he and two of my others sons want to join a pure BJJ club in addition to our freestyle judo club. I'm all for that, and I'll probably start rolling one day/week with that club too.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I love Judo. I miss the training, the randori, it's a blast. Congratulations on the promotion!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I love Judo. I miss the training, the randori, it's a blast. Congratulations on the promotion!
Thanks! I got into this for the groundfighting, but I stayed for the stand-up judo. I absolutely love the thrill of committing to a throw. It almost always cuts both ways, so you have to learn to take the risk and pull the trigger.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Hill sprints: "The Long Hill"/sprint up+jog down x 12 (no rests)

I'm planning to hit some LSS this weekend, so Apex is out for Saturday. I want to spend some time on the hills every week and I don't want to do swings the day before I DL, so some regular hill sprints were the order for this morning. That hill is so long (180-200yds) that this workout feels a lot more like 200yd hill "resets" than traditional hill sprints. By the time I jog down, I'm feeling pretty well recovered. I really think this style of hill work has helped my game overall, so I'm keeping it in the mix.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Operator I/A 6/9 (80%)
SQ: 320/5x5
OHP: 145/5x6
WPU: BW+20/5x6
1-H KB Swing: 48KG/10L-10R x 3

That all went very well. I pushed the volume a bit across all lifts (15 sets of squats is very busy week for me), but you can expect to see that come to an end as I move to 85% on Monday. I decided not to DL today "because WPU and swings." :lol: I just need to check in with the DL occasionally, which means it may well be a once every 2-3 week affair. THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY TO MAKE PROGRESS on the DL (or anything else), but I'm not trying to make any real progress on the DL rights now. I just want to keep it in good order while I emphasize other things. As I mentioned yesterday, I really don't like how the DL tends to dominate my planning. I'm not going to try to do everything at once, and the swings and WPU (x3/week) are much more economical for me.

Here's a little video summary of what went on today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtgniUDtv5w

THLE, please have at my swing form. I can see that I'm leaning back a bit much at the top (a habit I have in the DL too!), and I could do a better job packing my shoulder.

Nickgoldma -- listen carefully.