Building A Better Human

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Re: Building A Better Human

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Alright, deviating from my usual routine. 3 week cycle.... happens to coincide with my trip to the UK next month...... I never recommend a routine, training session to a client until I or one of my trainers has gone through it first.

Each strength session will have a Heavy, Medium & Light element to it.

Equipment: BB, KBS (2x24kg and 2 x28kg), dip bars, climbing rope

Warm up & movement prep (with BB complex since Heavy includes PC & PP)

Heavy:
W2H power clean & push press (185# - conservative max, since it's my first time doing these with a BB in.a LONG time.
Then
5 rounds
2 x PC&PP ~ 85% (160#)
3xshoulder dislocates

Then Medium

6 rounds
Work to HBD (heavy but doable)
5 x double KB Front squats into
2 x broad jumps
90/90 hip stretch
( 24/24/28/28/28/28 used)

Then light

6 rounds
8 x bar dips
1 x rope climb from lying to upright & lower
Foam roll IT band

15 min AD cooldown

Rest intervals..... as needed...longer for heavy work, shorter for medium and lighter work.

Heck of a sweat on. 8-)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Equipment: BB, iron, Kettlebells (2 x24's and 2 x 28's)

Warm up and movement prep.
Empty BB complex. 6 of each movement
Regular grip low pull Bent over Row / wide grip high pull Bent over Row / wide grip RDL / regular grip HP Cleans / front Squats / presses.
3 rounds.

Heavy: W2H front Squat
Then
6 rounds
Front squats 2 at 85% (205#)
Instep stretch

Then
Medium:
6 rounds
5 seesaw press into
2 x clapping push-ups
Lat and shoulder stretches.
(24/24/28/28/28/24 - left shoulder felt a twinge on reps 4&5 of 5th round, so played it safe and went back to 24's for the final round)

Then
Light:
6 rounds also
4 x Cleans @ 2x28's into
2 x chin-ups.
Used chin-ups today to see how elbow would hold up. It felt ok....not brilliant, so will keep volume low.

Cool down.

Nice strength sesh.

https://instagram.com/p/BLwtZ47DLlw/
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Indoor Power Intervals.

Equipment: AD 6

2 mins ON / 4 Mins rest/Recovery

Cals: 42/46/47/46/47

I must admit, I do like these sessions for the mental as well as physical challenge it represents.

15 min AD cooldown

https://instagram.com/p/BLzOmaTD7ES/

Shows the last 20s of the last round. And the relief at the end. HR Max measured at 180 using polar chest strap.
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Indoor Power Intervals.

Equipment: AD 6

2 mins ON / 4 Mins rest/Recovery

Cals: 42/46/47/46/47

I must admit, I do like these sessions for the mental as well as physical challenge it represents.

15 min AD cooldown
It looks like your intensity goes up from round to round more or less. It works different in my case.. meaning my best calories are for round one. It's declining steadily and my last round is pathetic. Also, great RI..

Awesome!

I read your log as an example for the goal setting :D

Also... I HATE these sessions :D :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Barkadion wrote: It looks like your intensity goes up from round to round more or less. It works different in my case.. meaning my best calories are for round one. It's declining steadily and my last round is pathetic. Also, great RI..

Awesome!

:D Cheers

I've used the AD6 long enough to know that 40 cals in 2 minutes, for ME, is achievable almost all the time....... so I know that by 30s I should be at 10 cals min [remembering this is a 2 min effort and not a 20-30s all out sprint!]...... if I am way over then I know that I may have an uncomfortable 90s remaining :twisted:

At the end of the day, it's a piece of kit..... I am working bloody hard, and given that I have a HRM on, I can see that the intensity levels are at the right level...... but even without a HRM, on a perception of effort scale, I am at 8 - 9 / 10 within these intervals.

If you are maintaining the same level of effort throughout every round, then progress will be made......What I have found to be superhelpful for me personally is to focus on your recovery in between rounds [walk around, hands on head, focus on breathing DEEPLY into the belly, focus on inhaling through the nose - although that can be feckin hard at the beginning :lol: ]...there was a time when I would lie down, flop down..... cry...... but I remember being told something about 5 years ago that made me change that...... 'Gazelles lie down at the end of a chase, they have given up, they have surrendered.'........ that made a big impact, and I have very rarely lay down at the end of a session since... as much as I want to, I try to walk around, or at the very least, take a knee, and take a couple of big breathes before getting up and moving..... mentally I am showing myself that I have not surrendered or given up.... that was powerful for ME.

It's also down to mindset.... the conditioning sessions are HARD, so I look at them as a challenge, to see how I fare, to see how far I can push myself in that session......

A long winded way to say, thank you matey...... your comments were appreciated..... enjoy your downtime ;)
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
Barkadion wrote: It looks like your intensity goes up from round to round more or less. It works different in my case.. meaning my best calories are for round one. It's declining steadily and my last round is pathetic. Also, great RI..

Awesome!

:D Cheers

I've used the AD6 long enough to know that 40 cals in 2 minutes, for ME, is achievable almost all the time....... so I know that by 30s I should be at 10 cals min [remembering this is a 2 min effort and not a 20-30s all out sprint!]...... if I am way over then I know that I may have an uncomfortable 90s remaining :twisted:

At the end of the day, it's a piece of kit..... I am working bloody hard, and given that I have a HRM on, I can see that the intensity levels are at the right level...... but even without a HRM, on a perception of effort scale, I am at 8 - 9 / 10 within these intervals.

If you are maintaining the same level of effort throughout every round, then progress will be made......What I have found to be superhelpful for me personally is to focus on your recovery in between rounds [walk around, hands on head, focus on breathing DEEPLY into the belly, focus on inhaling through the nose - although that can be feckin hard at the beginning :lol: ]...there was a time when I would lie down, flop down..... cry...... but I remember being told something about 5 years ago that made me change that...... 'Gazelles lie down at the end of a chase, they have given up, they have surrendered.'........ that made a big impact, and I have very rarely lay down at the end of a session since... as much as I want to, I try to walk around, or at the very least, take a knee, and take a couple of big breathes before getting up and moving..... mentally I am showing myself that I have not surrendered or given up.... that was powerful for ME.

It's also down to mindset.... the conditioning sessions are HARD, so I look at them as a challenge, to see how I fare, to see how far I can push myself in that session......

A long winded way to say, thank you matey...... your comments were appreciated..... enjoy your downtime ;)
hahaha, thank you! No, no giving up, no gazelles style in TB un :D iverse
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Strength Day.

Equipment: BB, Iron, 2 x 45# KBs

Warm up and movement prep. (This circuit inspired by Andrew Read)
R Rows 5/5 @ 2 x 45# KBs
1/2 kneeling close stance Halo @ 30# KB (heel in line with inner track of rear knee) x 10
KB Arm Bar 1/1 @ 45# KB
Goblet Squat & 2x curl @ 45# KB
2 rounds

Then
Heavy : 6 rounds
2 x OHP at 85% (150#)
Shoulder dislocates and tea cup drills in rest.

Then
Medium: 6 Rounds
3 x "Craig Specials" @ 2 x 45# KBs into
2 x burpees
Foam roll and prior is work in the rest

Then
Light: 6 Rounds
9 x RDL with fat grips BB/95/95/95/95/95
2 x pull-ups (felt great on these - elbows are behaving)
Wall slides in rest

15 min cool down AD6
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Easy 'E' today.

40 min trail run, in a fasted state, into a 20 min cool down walk.....giving a nice 60 min session.

HR 120 - 140 max, however there were a couple of steep inclines that took me just above the 140 ;)

Been a wee while since my last trail run..... it was superb. Felt good and strong all the way around.

Focus of my session is staying within HR and time. It used to be distance, but that can lead to running faster than the goal of the session warrants....so now I leave distance to when it's a time trial / test...... aerobic work is HR and time......and as I'm fond of saying "keep the goal, the goal"

Seeing a paw print reminded me that it's a good thing I like playing music loudly from the phone speakers.
https://instagram.com/p/BL30iv6DAcN/
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Work Capacity today.

Equipment: 24kg KB

I completed the group's session today as it's particularly 'tasty' :twisted:

After warm up and movement prep.

30s/10s (work/rest)
Bird-dog [Hold the Up Point Position for 5 – 10s ensuring the hips are square]
Bear Crawl [Low Hips – forward and back a couple of steps only continuous for the 30s period]
2 Rounds

Time Limit of 25 minutes applies.

Kettlebell snatch/burpee couplet ladder challenge.

10-1 reps on the snatches each side (I used 24kg 'bell)
2-20 on the burpees (strict form, especially with push-ups portion)

Alternate between snatches and burpees. Start with 10 snatches r/l and go down to 1.
Go up by two’s on the burpees.

Ie. 10 sn l/r, 2 Burpee, 9 sn l/r, 4 Burpee etc until 1sn l/r then 20 burpees.

Complete this couplet as fast as possible.

I completed 2,4,6,8 as Burpee pull-ups for a little extra credit.

15 minute AD cool down
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Work Capacity today.

Equipment: 24kg KB

I completed the group's session today as it's particularly 'tasty' :twisted:

After warm up and movement prep.

30s/10s (work/rest)
Bird-dog [Hold the Up Point Position for 5 – 10s ensuring the hips are square]
Bear Crawl [Low Hips – forward and back a couple of steps only continuous for the 30s period]
2 Rounds

Time Limit of 25 minutes applies.

Kettlebell snatch/burpee couplet ladder challenge.

10-1 reps on the snatches each side (I used 24kg 'bell)
2-20 on the burpees (strict form, especially with push-ups portion)

Alternate between snatches and burpees. Start with 10 snatches r/l and go down to 1.
Go up by two’s on the burpees.

Ie. 10 sn l/r, 2 Burpee, 9 sn l/r, 4 Burpee etc until 1sn l/r then 20 burpees.

Complete this couplet as fast as possible.

I completed 2,4,6,8 as Burpee pull-ups for a little extra credit.

15 minute AD cool down
I did a similar workout about a year a go, and needless to say it "rewarded." The KB snatch/burpee combination leaves little to the imagination! Well done.