J-Madd's Training Log

Barkadion

Re: J-Madd's Training Log

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote: Thank you! 3 to 1 seems to be good strategy.
I think K. Black mentioned it first in the "Over 40 Club." Remember too that the origins 531 schedule with 3-1.
True. Thanks.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
May I ask how do you feel your deload week so far? It looks that it comes down to 1 accessory strength session + 1 conditioning session. How do you feel about that? Does it help to recover from OP?
That's more or less how I planned it -- basically a grip/core session and GC/SE session. Since I'm still going to BJJ classes this week I cut out the GC/SE session. I'm probably going to LSS tomorrow or Saturday, because I haven't checked that box for a few weeks.

I like how this sort of back off is going. If I were on the end of a hard charging twelve-week block during which I was pushing the edge the whole way, then I would have a lot less activity. Now, however, I'm implementing a "3 on - 1 off - 3 on - 1 off" plan. I didn't "need" the deload week (it's preemptive), so a little more activity is fine.
Thank you! 3 to 1 seems to be good strategy.
After my base building I plan on doing something similar. I am a bit younger, but due to work I have some issues recovering.
I plan on going to Op I/A and then taking a long weekend off instead of a full week. I find I am good after 3-4 days and that a week is just to long.

I want to get back into the bjj and some boxing also and this seems pretty compatible with OP I/A. Good to see you are having some success with the change up. Enjoy your training.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:After my base building I plan on doing something similar. I am a bit younger, but due to work I have some issues recovering.
I plan on going to Op I/A and then taking a long weekend off instead of a full week. I find I am good after 3-4 days and that a week is just to long.
So you will be doing something like:

Week#6
M - Lifts
Tuesday - Easy HIC
Wd - Lifts
Th, Fr, Sat, Sun - off

Monday - new block.

Did I get that right?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:After my base building I plan on doing something similar. I am a bit younger, but due to work I have some issues recovering.

Week#6
Sun - HIC
M - Lifts 85%
Tuesday - easy LSD run somewhere out relaxing
Wd - Lifts 90% final day
Th, Fr, Sat,- off hike, surf, wrestle a bear

Monday - new block.small force progression

Did I get that right?

Hopefully that makes sense.
I just don't feel I need a full back off week like some do, but I always work with a conservative training max these days.
I would also probably push a couple consecutive days towards the end as I know that I have the 3 full days coming up, but that would depend on how I feel at the time. I also find the 90% + sessions the easiest as I am better at low reps and lower volume. The hardest days for me are anytime I hit a 5x5 regardless of the weight. My 1 RM is usually much higher than the 5RM calculators predict. If I do choose to test a max it actually feels like an easy session to me.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Week#6
Sun - HIC
M - Lifts 85%
Wd - Lifts 90% final day

Did I get that right?

I just don't feel I need a full back off week like some do, but I always work with a conservative training max these days.
I would also probably push a couple consecutive days towards the end as I know that I have the 3 full days coming up, but that would depend on how I feel at the time. I also find the 90% + sessions the easiest as I am better at low reps and lower volume. The hardest days for me are anytime I hit a 5x5 regardless of the weight. My 1 RM is usually much higher than the 5RM calculators predict. If I do choose to test a max it actually feels like an easy session to me.
Thank you. Very interesting..

BTW, I feel sorry for that bear dude :lol:

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Week#6
Sun - HIC
M - Lifts 85%
Wd - Lifts 90% final day

Did I get that right?

Thank you. Very interesting..

BTW, I feel sorry for that bear dude :lol:
I am Australian, so sadly it's just a koala bear :D Sorry to hijack the log JMADD :lol:
I am just following it as I plan to do similar after my BB.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Maxrip13 wrote:
I am Australian, so sadly it's just a koala bear :D Sorry to hijack the log JMADD :lol:
No worries. The whole point is to catalyze conversation.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

6.5 mile (approx) run/54.28

I had wanted to ride my bike today, but its the harvest here, so the roads are full of grain trucks. Not a great time to be flying down narrow country roads on a bike! There's no need to make another guy's already hard job even more stressful because of my hobby.

Today was a real confirmation of the system. My last LSS was two weeks ago, a fun run. Before that it was three weeks since I did a real long distance run. That is, it's been a month since I last ran any real distance. Nevertheless, today's run was really easy, but I was faster than usual on this route for a easy/casual run. I actually had to fight to keep my speed down a bit (I didn't want to turn this into beatdown). I struggle with worrying that my endurance is going to crumble when I go "Black." I think it's because I'm a recovering fat person, and I fear that as soon as I back off the LSS I'm going to lose everything. That's bad thinking! I think a lot of people have the converse problem, i.e., "I'm going to lose all my strength when I go into my base building phase." The point of this system it is that you don't need to train everything all at once, in order to be decent at everything all at once. Once you get your tank full, you can maintain it very well with the occasional effort.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

OP I/A Block 1, Wave 2, 1/9 (75%)

SQ: 300/5x3
WPU: 10/5x8
OHP: 135/5x3

Even though everything has been going very smoothly, I won't even consider forcing progression until I finish both 75-80-85/90 waves of this block. I got knocked out badly over the weekend by a respiratory flu that's going around here. I actually thought I might not be able to teach my classes later in the afternoon after my run on Friday. I felt a lot better today, but not a 100% so I kept things pretty minimal on the SQ and OHP and cut out my usual Monday swings entirely. I can always make-up lost ground later in the week when I'm feeling better. I'm hoping to feel up to doing "Power Intervals" on my new/used Airdyne in the morning.

Adski

Post by Adski »

J-Madd wrote:OP I/A Block 1, Wave 2, 1/9 (75%)

SQ: 300/5x3
WPU: 10/5x8
OHP: 135/5x3

Even though everything has been going very smoothly, I won't even consider forcing progression until I finish both 75-80-85/90 waves of this block. I got knocked out badly over the weekend by a respiratory flu that's going around here. I actually thought I might not be able to teach my classes later in the afternoon after my run on Friday. I felt a lot better today, but not a 100% so I kept things pretty minimal on the SQ and OHP and cut out my usual Monday swings entirely. I can always make-up lost ground later in the week when I'm feeling better. I'm hoping to feel up to doing "Power Intervals" on my new/used Airdyne in the morning.
Hopefully that cold clears up real quick!
There must be something in the air lately, as I too I just got an airbike last week, I didn't realize how much more brutal it can be compared to a rower which I thought was awesome! Look forward to seeing how it goes for you.