Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Mid Morning
OP I/A Max strength 85 %

Back Squat 110kg x3
Benchpress 85kg x3
Weighted Pullups 30kg x3

X 3 rounds

I am absolutely loving being back in that 3 rep range for the max strength. I feel really strong and the weights are going up easy. For some reason 5 reps really beats me down regardless of percentage of training max. I just did 3 rounds as I am working nights this weekend and plan to go to bjj later tonight.

I am really enjoy being back on the mats, but it is harder to recover from than I remember. I plan to do another cycle of Op I/A with a 5 kg force progression on squats and benchpress. I will just rest as much as needed between sessions. I will aim for 4 bjj sessions minimum each fortnight and I will just tick off the Op I/a sessions as I complete them.

I like to keep strength training constant, but I find that I already have the required strength for work that I need. I will use bjj as my primary form of conditioning and throw in short finishers or longer interval runs when I can.I am finding that the recovery I have neglected in the past is doing me wonders right now and my fitness is increasing with minimal effort.

Evening BJJ

Regain guard from side control
Arms drags to back (marcelo Garcia Style)
7 x 5 min rolls with 1 min rest.

The fitness on the mats is coming back finally:)
Last edited by Maxrip13 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I am absolutely loving being back in that 3 rep range for the max strength. I feel really strong and the weights are going up easy. For some reason 5 reps really beats me down regardless of percentage of training max.
This is exactly how I feel.. Interesting. :D
Maxrip13 wrote:I am finding that the recovery I have neglected in the past is doing me wonders right now and my fitness is increasing with minimal effort.
Are you saying that going back to 3 sets help you with recovery and overall training?

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I am absolutely loving being back in that 3 rep range for the max strength. I feel really strong and the weights are going up easy. For some reason 5 reps really beats me down regardless of percentage of training max.
Maxrip13 wrote:I am finding that the recovery I have neglected in the past is doing me wonders right now and my fitness is increasing with minimal effort.
Are you saying that going back to 3 sets help you with recovery and overall training?

Thanks!
In this case no, but that also helps. I do really well in the 1-3 rep range and start to struggle at 5. For example, I know I am good for a 160 kg squat if I can do 3 x 5 at 100kg comfortably. That is how much of a disparity I have between my 1 rm and my 5RM haha. I get beat down very quickly with anything over 3x5 for total volume with my squats and bench press.

I was also referring to using OP I/A and taking however long I want between my Max strength sessions. Some times I only take one day and sometimes I take as many as 3-4 days. Is this as good for progression as normal Operator, not really, but it seems to be working for me.

In the past I would train no matter how I felt and after 6 weeks I would need to swap to a new program or take a week off. I am just ticking sessions off as I complete them at the moment and will force progress all my lifts 5kg and do the same again.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Thanks!
In this case no, but that also helps. I do really well in the 1-3 rep range and start to struggle at 5. For example, I know I am good for a 160 kg squat if I can do 3 x 5 at 100kg comfortably. That is how much of a disparity I have between my 1 rm and my 5RM haha. I get beat down very quickly with anything over 3x5 for total volume with my squats and bench press.

I was also referring to using OP I/A and taking however long I want between my Max strength sessions. Some times I only take one day and sometimes I take as many as 3-4 days. Is this as good for progression as normal Operator, not really, but it seems to be working for me.

In the past I would train no matter how I felt and after 6 weeks I would need to swap to a new program or take a week off. I am just ticking sessions off as I complete them at the moment and will force progress all my lifts 5kg and do the same again.

It does.. I can see similarity. I am also starting to understand pointless of the accessories with OP structure on the long run. Small addition can wear you down but keeping the basics saves you...

I am still learning the thing :D

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Thanks!

It does.. I can see similarity. I am also starting to understand pointless of the accessories with OP structure on the long run. Small addition can wear you down but keeping the basics saves you...

I am still learning the thing :D
Accessories have there place, but not how people use them. For some reason everyone wants to add pec and bicep exercises when they really should be doing extra glute work or whatever other weaknesses there body has. I haven't done more than a set or 3 of bicep curls in years and I constantly get asked what I do for my arm day. Telling them I just do weighted pull-ups seems to shock a lot of people. Same with comments on my back and similar.

I will occasionally throw in some glute and hamstring work as I have super strong and rather large quads. They can cause some issues so occasionally I do some accessory work when I have the time. 95% of my training is Back Squats, Pullups and Benchpress and has been for years.

This is why I love Tactical Barbell. It's nothing new at all and I have trained like this for years, but it reinforces things and gives me a plan to stick to and not program jump:)

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Maxrip13 wrote: I constantly get asked what I do for my arm day. Telling them I just do weighted pull-ups seems to shock a lot of people.
Yes! I get the exact same thing. Weighted pull-ups have done more for my biceps and lats than all the curls I use to do back in the day....and people don't believe me when I tell them I don't do any direct arm work at all.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Back Squat 110kg x3
Benchpress 85kg x3
Weighted Pullups 30 kg x3

X 3 rounds

Second last training session of this Op I/A and all the lifts are exactly were they need to be. I have had a heap of success with this training cycle and plan to stick with it again. I reckon I will either retest or force progress my lifts. I know I have said it a few times, but I absolutely love OP I/A and think it's a great way to train for shift workers and people with a strong strength base.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Yesterdays session

Lunchtime BJJ before work.

Working on guard passing options and passsing the leg weave.
No rolling due to having to leave early for work

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Todays Training

Last day of Op I/A 95%

Back Squat 120kg x2
Weighted Pullups 35kg x2
Benchpress 95kg
x 3 rounds

Bodyweight 78kg Bodyfat 10% (according to fitbit scale haha)
Today was my last day of Op I/A and I am pretty happy with the results. No issues hitting any of the weights and I was happy with the training max used. I have also picked up bjj again so was happy to still meet my standards with that added increase in training load.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of Op I/A and I basically took as many days of as needed due to work stresses between workouts. Sometimes I trained every second day and some I had as many as 3 days off between training. It worked for me and I recommend it for experienced strength athletes with other priorities. Stick with traditional operator until you are nearing your strength goals if possible though.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Todays Training

Last day of Op I/A 95%

Back Squat 120kg x2
Weighted Pullups 35kg x2
Benchpress 95kg
x 3 rounds

Bodyweight 78kg Bodyfat 10% (according to fitbit scale haha)
Today was my last day of Op I/A and I am pretty happy with the results. No issues hitting any of the weights and I was happy with the training max used. I have also picked up bjj again so was happy to still meet my standards with that added increase in training load.

I really enjoyed the flexibility of Op I/A and I basically took as many days of as needed due to work stresses between workouts. Sometimes I trained every second day and some I had as many as 3 days off between training. It worked for me and I recommend it for experienced strength athletes with other priorities. Stick with traditional operator until you are nearing your strength goals if possible though.
Max, It seems that you do well with just 3 sets of OP I/A, correct? So, one doesn't necessarily need to push volume over 5 sets to go with I/A version..