Working on guard retention

3x4 min rounds rolling

Maxrip13

Re: Maximum Rippage ( Training log ) TB + Conditioning

Post by Maxrip13 »

30/01/2021

Basebuild Week 5 day 6

LSS run 30 mins

I technically finished the first 5 weeks weeks of basebuild today, but have missed a few sessions over this last week. I managed to get 2 runs ,1x BJJ but no SE in week 5.Luckily I hit my 3x50 session a week early. I think I will just push forward instead of worrying about sessions missed. Between nightshift, weather and life I have had a few problems getting things done as needed.

I have missed a total of 5 sessions being 3 SE and 2 Runs over this total 5 weeks which isn't great, but I have made plenty of BJJ so I think it will work out fine.

I am looking forward to a return to lifting to finish off the final 3 weeks before transitioning to continuation.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

1/2/21

Basebuild Week 6
Strength Session

Warmup
1A OHP 10kg x 5
Kettlebell Goblet squat x 5 16kg
1 Arm Row 10kg
Hip stretch
x 2 rounds

Benchpress 60kg 3x5
Backsquat 60kg 3x5
Weighted Pullup 3x5

Shoulder complex 2.5kg x 1 round

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

3/1/21

Basebuild Week 6 session 2

Strength and HIC

Benchpress 60kg 3x5
Back Squat 60kg 3x5
Deadlift 80kg 1x5

Short hills x3 rounds

My work and life is doing it’s best to get in the way of training lately. 4 hours of OT cost me my planned bjj training and HIC yesterday.

I got some bare minimum strength work in as I ease back into lifting weights. I had to make a sub from the original plan for HIC, but at least got some sprints in. I am planning 2xBJJ training sessions tomorrow and an ice bath in between.

Hopefully things will settle as I go into some rest days.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

OT is just one of the bumps in the road we have to adapt around. It happens. Missing a day here or there is inevitable - just don't let it knock you off the rails. Stay the path and keep going. How's the strength work and shoulder complex treating you?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I am definitely thinking an indoor cardio option is required as a purchase in the future. I have been getting caught out between long hours at work and family life. I have woken up early this morning after the little fella joined us in bed. It's a bit hard to get out and do 600m resets at this time of the morning safely, but I could easily do repeated rounds on a rower or airbike.

I left it off the above session, but overall pretty well with the shoulder work. I definitely think it's worth including as my shoulders have been feeling great. I am having some lower body joint pain, but that's mostly due to long hours in an equipment belt.

I think I will be combining the Monday Strength and HIC for most sessions. I find more success when I preload sessions early as it gives me a day up my sleeve when things go wrong. I usually have more success having longer times to train at the moment than I do having repeated days for shorter sessions.

It's good to be back lifting weights, but I really enjoyed the SE work this basebuild. I think I really got a lot out of how you planned that cluster. That was one of my favourite blocks of SE I have done.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

4/2/21
Am
BJJ Gi Midday

Spider guard and off balancing from open guard

Pm

BJJ No gi

Hooks guard sweep/guillotine when partner passes from knees

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

6/2/21

Basebuild Week 6 Session 6

LSS run 30 min
4.61km
Avg Pace: 6:31 per km
Avg HR:134 bpm

Training has been a bit of a struggle lately so I am very happy to have got this short run in. I missed 1x HIC last week and had to sub out the other which is disappointing but that is life.

Hopefully I have better luck next week.

I have Monday off so the plan will be Strength +HIC to start the week strong and get on track straight away.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

8/2/2021

Basebuild Week 7
Strength + HIC

Bench press 70kg 3x5
Back Squat 70kg 3x5
Weighted Pullup 10kg 3x5
Shoulder complex 2.5kg

Oxygen Debt 101 x 2 rounds

I am starting the week off well by getting 2 sessions in today. The weights are feeling much smoother as the body gets used to barbells again. My pullup bar is quite thin so I used gloves today and my pullups felt much stronger.

I followed my strength work with HIC and I really like doing this on a Monday. I can focus on 2 BJJ sessions tomorrow before returning to work on Wednesday when I will struggle to get my sessions in around work and BJJ. I have a 4 day stretch of AM shifts which can wreak havoc on my training.I will try and mix some recovery work in through today and tomorrow.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Sorry mate I thought I replied to this during the forum issues.

Massage gun is a solid 7.5/10. I bought a reasonable priced one $250 Australian.

It is great in place of foam rolling to warm up and IMO a much more effective option.

It actually becomes amazing when used by another person and is on par with a general massage, but not as good as a proper sports therapist.

It really works well on trigger points on smaller areas like the forearms and calves, but I have had as much success with larger scale muscle groups like the hamstrings or lower back. If my partner does it in those areas it's much more effective though.

I think if you have the cash it's definitely worth the buy. I would class it in the foam roller, flossing, peanut etc class of recovery area. Think Kelly Starrett and his books. I actually think he made one of the first ones and it grew from there. I will be using it soon to target some sore areas from yesterdays MS and HIC session before hitting AM BJJ. I will also use it after with the help of my partner to loosen up my lower back and hamstrings for my arvo BJJ session.